I switched to Google Chrome - Settings and Extensions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dark Void, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I recently made the switch to Google Chrome and I am really enjoying it. I use it on my Netbook and I find it to be just as snappy in OS X. Safari 5.1 kind of ruined it for me, a lot of my extensions and stuff were messed up, and the history/cache clears were kind of screwy. I really like Safari, it's a nice browser, but I just didn't really want to deal with that right now, and instead of downgrading, I have kept it as a secondary browser with ClickToFlash still installed, and decided to look for a new primary. I put off the switch for a bit because I didn't want to have to enter all of my websites intro Chrome and what not, but I was blown away at how easy importing them from Safari was. I simply clicked a button and all of my bookmarks where there, in the same order and in the same folders that they were on Safari. The UI is so clean and fresh, and I like the fact that it runs in separate processes. It just feels faster and more "clean," i.e. less bogged down. Safari felt like that too, but Chrome even more so in my opinion.

The point of this thread is to ask - what extensions and settings should I be using to ensure things like safety and productivity?

I already have Adblock installed, but anything else? Anything important that I should edit in the settings (for example: "open 'safe' files after downloading" on Safari, etc) that will leave me better off?

Thank you.

2. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

3. tennis11 macrumors member

AdBlock - Version: 2.4.19
    The most popular Chrome extension, with over 2 million users! Blocks ads all over the web.
    Disable - Uninstall - Options - Show button Allow in incognito

Anesidora - Version: 1.3.6
    Tabs? Where we're listening, we don't need tabs.
    Disable - Uninstall - Options Allow in incognito

Clip to Evernote - Version: 5.1.15.1534
    Use the Evernote extension to save things you see on the web into your Evernote account. It even lets you search through your notes.

FlashBlock - Version: 0.9.31
    FlashBlock for Chrome. Block them all, or be selective with the embedded whitelist manager

Hover Zoom - Version: 3.0
    Enlarge thumbnails on mouse over. Works on many sites (Facebook, Twitter, Google™, Flickr, Reddit, Amazon, etc).
    Disable - Uninstall - Options Allow in incognito Allow access to file URLs

Minimalist for Facebook™ (beta) - Version: 0.5.17
    Individually hide almost 50 interface elements, custom colors, and more...

Pandora Plus - Version: 0.5
    Improves the Pandora.com user experience by removing ads, cleaning up the player, and adding desktop notifications.
    Disable - Uninstall Allow in incognito

Search by Image (by Google) - Version: 1.0.0
    This extension allows you to initiate a Google search using any image on the web. By the Google Images team.
    Disable - Uninstall - Options Allow in incognito Allow access to file URLs

Speed Dial - Version: 2.1
    Speed Dial for Chrome - replace Chrome new tab with your predefined visual bookmarks.

WOT - Version: 1.2.2
    The Web of Trust extension shows you which websites people trust for safe surfing, shopping and searching on the web.
    Disable - Uninstall - Options - Show button Allow in incognito

Those are mine.

4. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Flashblock, nice, that looks good.

Any settings that you would recommend?

5. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

i have adblock, smooth scroll works very well with mac, and clip to evernote

6. Dark Void thread starter macrumors 68030

Dark Void

nice, i'll look in to all that were mentioned, i have adblock and flashblock currently.

do website previews (pic next to the bookmark tab) always stay? I notice that they don't disappear like they did in safari when you clear it.