Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
If anyone is familiar with me... I was quite displeased with Snow Leopard when it came out all the way to the 10.6.2 update on my laptop. I downgraded back to Leopard, then my Airport card went out, and I had the laptop sent back to get repaired, where they replaced a lot of things including the logic board, sata cables, display cables, Superdrive, and of course the Airport card.

Leopard was broken afterward, so I installed Snow Leopard to give it another chance.

All I can say is... Wow... there was a hardware problem with my MacBook Pro causing something to mess Snow Leopard up. I used to have the spinning beachball all the time, but now I hardly ever see it. In fact, the only time I have seen it was when Flash crashes (which happens quite often).

I'm sorry I gave Snow Leopard such a bad name when it was just faulty hardware to blame. Even more surprising is that half of my App incompatibilities before the repairs are now gone.

I just have bad luck with MacBook Pro's I guess... I'm about to have to send it out again for another Airport card replacement as I cannot get a signal when the access point is less than 5 feet away in my college department's lounge. It's definitely me because every one else connects at full speed with full signal while I can only manage maybe a bar or two with a max of 2Mbps. This one is a replacement for a Early 2008 MacBook Pro that failed 3 times in 5 months of ownership.

Thankfully, I have an external Wifi card that will last me through this semester.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The problem with Snow Leopard is that everybody hyped it up without really knowing that Snow Leopard really brought. Yes OpenCL and GCD were introduced but everyone took what Apple said and expected it to be a benefit straight out the box which for the most part, the user won't notice any improvement from Leopard. Also, we all knew Snow Leopard would be a "tweaked" Leopard but for some reason a lot of people had problems and we heard it in the forums. One would look as a "tweaked" Leopard at the least, 10.5.x but it for many it felt like a new OS.

What I'm trying to say was that people were expecting big things and their expectations weren't met. For me, I would say I'm a happy Snow Leopard user but would be equally happy if I were still running Leopard as the new things introduced in Snow Leopard doesn't really benefit me at this time.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
While I'm glad you sorted your issues out, is an entire thread necessary for this? It's not very difficult to find your original thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/840691/) and post your recent epiphany there..

Please leave the moderating to the moderators. If they feel that I should have posted under my old thread, which is exactly the opposite of what this thread is about, then they can merge it or PM me and delete this thread.

I find it confusing to post things like this on an older thread. Many people will just read the first post, then post a reply. That's obviously not the aim of what I'm trying to get accomplished. Why post under my old thread when people will just read the first post and reply?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
If anyone is familiar with me... I was quite displeased with Snow Leopard when it came out all the way to the 10.6.2 update on my laptop. I downgraded back to Leopard, then my Airport card went out, and I had the laptop sent back to get repaired, where they replaced a lot of things including the logic board, sata cables, display cables, Superdrive, and of course the Airport card.

Leopard was broken afterward, so I installed Snow Leopard to give it another chance.

All I can say is... Wow... there was a hardware problem with my MacBook Pro causing something to mess Snow Leopard up. I used to have the spinning beachball all the time, but now I hardly ever see it. In fact, the only time I have seen it was when Flash crashes (which happens quite often).

I'm sorry I gave Snow Leopard such a bad name when it was just faulty hardware to blame. Even more surprising is that half of my App incompatibilities before the repairs are now gone.

I just have bad luck with MacBook Pro's I guess... I'm about to have to send it out again for another Airport card replacement as I cannot get a signal when the access point is less than 5 feet away in my college department's lounge. It's definitely me because every one else connects at full speed with full signal while I can only manage maybe a bar or two with a max of 2Mbps. This one is a replacement for a Early 2008 MacBook Pro that failed 3 times in 5 months of ownership.

Thankfully, I have an external Wifi card that will last me through this semester.

The problems with Airport cards are a well known problem of Snow Leopard and they are NOT hardware issues. If they were hardware problems, then why is it possible that Linux and Windows work properly with the hardware but Apple's own operating system does not work with Apple's own hardware?

It's true that most of the compatibility problems with applications were gone after the 10.6.2 update AND several application updates. And those issues made the original Snow Leopard a horrible software upgrade - it broke almost everything, including Apple's own applications.

Really, there's no need for you to apologize. But we're all still waiting for Apple's official apology. Especially because Leopard had very similar issues when it was released. Apple's software QA is very obviously non-existent.

Oh, about Flash: Are you talking about the authoring environment or the player? I don't know what problems everybody seems to be having with the Flash player - it NEVER crashed on me in five years of Mac OS X usage from Tiger over Leopard to Snow Leopard and PowerPC Macs to Intel Macs. Yes, Flash is sluggish on PowerPC Macs, and it's not nearly as good on Intel Macs as it is on Linux or Windows. But the player is stable.

The authoring environment, however, is a different story. I began using Flash at version 5 on Windows, and it's also unstable as hell on Windows. But only the authoring environment; the player runs solid.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard on my 2008 white MacBook a couple weeks ago and it has been great for the most part. I've seen so many bad experiences posted here that I was almost set to just skip SL all together. I finally figured for $29 I would give it a shot and am so glad I did. Much faster and runs just as stable as Leopard 10.5.8 for me. I didn't even do a clean install like almost all suggested and my system still runs great with no glitches whatsoever. One thing I did do though is boot to my CCC clone drive and then upgraded my Leopard install on the internal drive while booted into the clone. Not sure if it made any difference or not, but I haven't had any problems doing it that way. I figured what's the harm since a had a clone to revert back to anyway if it didn't work out so great.

Oh and one more thing, my MacBook actually runs cooler now!

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
The problems with Airport cards are a well known problem of Snow Leopard and they are NOT hardware issues. If they were hardware problems, then why is it possible that Linux and Windows work properly with the hardware but Apple's own operating system does not work with Apple's own hardware?

It's true that most of the compatibility problems with applications were gone after the 10.6.2 update AND several application updates. And those issues made the original Snow Leopard a horrible software upgrade - it broke almost everything, including Apple's own applications.

Really, there's no need for you to apologize. But we're all still waiting for Apple's official apology. Especially because Leopard had very similar issues when it was released. Apple's software QA is very obviously non-existent.

Oh, about Flash: Are you talking about the authoring environment or the player? I don't know what problems everybody seems to be having with the Flash player - it NEVER crashed on me in five years of Mac OS X usage from Tiger over Leopard to Snow Leopard and PowerPC Macs to Intel Macs. Yes, Flash is sluggish on PowerPC Macs, and it's not nearly as good on Intel Macs as it is on Linux or Windows. But the player is stable.

The authoring environment, however, is a different story. I began using Flash at version 5 on Windows, and it's also unstable as hell on Windows. But only the authoring environment; the player runs solid.

I would say it is just Snow Leopard with the Airport card, but it also happens in Windows 7. Same issue.

Flash player... Hmm... it works most of the time (for ads and such), but it will crash often in Youtube, and Chatroulette won't work for more than 5 minutes without beach balling. Sometimes I have to restart the machine because the iSight gets stuck on. Basically, I know it's acting up when I'm in Firefox, Chrome, or Safari and I get an endless beach ball that makes me force quit the application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.