iPad mini I talked bad about the mini...then I saw it.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gix1k, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I just left Best Buy and handled on that wasn't attached. It's really a great size. It's super light, the screen isn't that bad compared to the iPad 4 that was also there that I compared. I had the black one and it's really sexy. Ugh!! Now I am wondering do I go buy this thing in addition to my iPad 3.
    I probably would have but the 16gb was sold out.

2. hyteckit Guest

If you can wait, wait till black friday.

Maybe Apple might discount it by 5% to 10% on their store.

I'm betting Apple will still have plenty in stock for the holiday.

3. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I'd act fast. I think it will do better once people try it. It seems worlds better than the Nexus 7. Much bigger display but not much bigger unit. And tons of awesome apps.

It might do like the iPhone5. Available on launch day, then potentially hard to come by for a while.

4. seajewel macrumors 6502

I mean, this is how I felt when I first saw the specs and price, but after a while the size/weight started sinking in. I changed my mind an hour before pre-order time and switched to iPad mini instead of iPad 3/4. 10oz is an unbelievable weight for the device and the screen estate. Still I wish it had retina.

5. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

They may have plenty of stock but I'd be shocked if they discount them. They discounted the iPad 2 last year but remember, that was 9 months after it came out, not a few weeks.... Demand will still be pretty high so no reason to discount it.

6. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

The display is not that bad...Its very very close to retina.

7. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

no, it's not

8. seajewel macrumors 6502

Honestly, I haven't seen it so I can't really judge for myself, but I sincerely doubt it is "very very close to retina." Retina is only noticeable if you're reading stuff like PDF files and iBooks/small fonts etc. (compare iPad 2 to 3,and yes I know mini is higher ppi than iPad 2.. but only 132 v. 164 v. 264) But it is very noticeable if that is what you primarily want it for. I know it won't make much of a difference looking at pictures or movies, but my concern is for reading.

9. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

That would be nice if they would discount, but if demand remains high I doubt it. They tend to be stingy with the discounts. :cool:

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

x2

it's fine, but it's definitely not retina. the comparison to the old iPhones was spot on (as regards pixel size).

11. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I'm Leaning toward getting one but I'm want a LTE version so gotta wait.

12. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Well, I have an iPad 3 and love the screen, but I am considering selling it now and getting the mini.

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Well, the display may not be as good as the retina iPad, but at least it has a higher pixel density than the iPad 1 and 2, so it should look nice.
    I wouldn't replace my iPad 3 for a iPad Mini; maybe for an iPad 4 if I had the extra money to burn.
    As an addition it sounds as a great idea. I would love to have one installed in my car as part of the dashboard. I read today, that there's a company in Florida doing it.

14. black743 macrumors 6502

It's the same number of pixels as the iPad 2, squeezed down to a smaller screen, so it's better than a 2 but not as good as a 3 or 4.

But the only way they can do a retina is to double the pixels (in order to avoid fragmenting the app market), and if they do that then the screen will be better than the iPad 4. Because it would have the same number, squeezed down, which equals more ppi.

Do you think they would ever make a mini's screen better than the full size? I'm not so sure about that....

15. nataliamck macrumors 6502

You're right. Just opened mine and had high expectations after loads of people on here said it was close to retina.

It's no where near retina. I think most people will deal with it but coming from iPad 3, I've also got an iPhone 5 and rMBP there is an awful difference. But it is something I can live with until the retina mini comes out.

Put it this way, it wouldn't have stopped me from buying it. The device itself is amazing.

16. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Same number of pixels as an iPad 2 but same pixel density as an iPhone 3GS. Honestly, it looks/feels better than the phone.

17. apierrec macrumors 6502

It definitely looks better than the non-retina iPhones.

18. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Form factor is gorgeous.

The display, as we knew, is poor in an era where Retina Display is the norm.

19. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Well, I just returned from Target with a 16gb black wifi mini..

20. iAi macrumors 6502

21. mjcxp macrumors regular

I just received both my mini and ipad4. I currently have the ipad and ipad2. The mini screen is not even close to retina. There is checkerboarding too... I will keep it though because the lightness is absolutely amazing compared to the 4.