I talked my school into getting mac pros

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macpropro80, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

I finally bugged IT at my highschool so much to replace the g5's in the editing studio with mac pros. We currently have 4 mac pros with dual 20inch screens, now we will be getting 4 more! Each was ordered with 4 gigs of apple ram, 2 super drives, 2.8ghz 8 cores, 8800's and 2 20 inch displays a piece, for a total of 8 20 inch displays. Hopefully we will get the 20 inch displays because they were ordered literally minutes before apple took them off the site. Anyone think I wont get the screens? Because if so we are screwed, The school has a policy that you have to buy all the parts for the computer at one place, and we cant afford 30 inch displays. After we got the go ahead to buy it, I was trying to wait till the new pros came out, but we had to buy the pros this week or we would lose the money. so 4 more mac pros for a total of 8! Not to bad. BTW the rest of the school (Non video editing or photo editing) is still using 8 year old HP's :)

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

wow wouldn't iMacs be enough for you guys? I'd take an imac and a new video camera over a mac pro

3. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Final cut/motion puts even the nicest imac's to shame. We really needed the graphic power and processing power.

You should see what the 3D design classes got. Hint: Nvidia 9800 GX2 equipped computers.

Also the person who donated the money for the new pros insistent they be mac pros. Go figure!

4. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

fair enough. Sounds like you go to the school in The OC.

5. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Derek87 macrumors 6502

curious: what uses have you found for dual superdrives?

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It helps to burn two DVD's at once with the film?

8. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Well you can't get the 20-inches anymore. You should convince your school to get the 24-in Cinema Display. They are much newer and have the iSight.

And a new Mac Pro is hopefully coming out soon. I would wait for that.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, they would indeed make some pretty nice paperweights with their limited connectivity.

10. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

We already ordered them yesterday, and at the time the 20 was available.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You would have to wait, seeing as your recommended display doesn't work with the current Mac Pro.

12. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I miss that show! I think this would be more appropriate now:

David

13. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

iSight cameras aren't very helpful for even a semi-professional videographer. Even if you are trying to get the webcam look, you can use filters that would be less restrictive.

David

14. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

he said he couldnt wait or else the money would be gone