iPhone X I tested out a Samsung and...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Mar 30, 2018.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I tried the Samsung 9 plus after having an x for 6 months and jeez it is definitely a learning curve. But I realized how much I missed face I'd and also Google music play just isn't on par with iTunes. It doesn't manage music well and can't store music physically as well.

Anyway after trying it for few days I decided I am going to return it. Apple may be more simple but it works so well.

Plus my car has Siri eyes free which doesn't work with Android. Lots of features seem to be limited.

2. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I actually like Google Play Music (it matched hundreds of my CD’s for free), but of course on the iPhone you can use it and/or iTunes. I think the Galaxy Note Series is intriguing for the S-pen, but the S9 doesn’t offer that. I can’t stand the way Samsung displays wrap over the edges. I much prefer iOS, FaceID, and the Apple Watch vs Samsung Gear.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you have been an iPhone user for years, android is definitely a major adjustment. I will see that android in general has some really nice features and much improved stability as well. But I could never consider anything else over the iPhone, more specifically iOS.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That's interesting.

I've been part of Google Play Music since beta. Back when the System Preference Pane they offered and the app that went with it were compatible with PowerPC Macs.

I had to migrate to an Intel Mac at some point, but in any case Google Play Music has always synchronized my iTunes playlists and music library without issue as things are changed. I have over 9GB of music stored in Google Play Music, none of which I manage through the app. All done through iTunes on my Mac.

5. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

For me it was the fact that Android wouldn't play the music if I said "ok Google" even if the songs were downloaded to the phone.

Also when I dragged music to the audio sextion it was dumb because Samsung doesn't have an audio player and the audio system just leaves the files there.

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

my girlfriend has the S8 and wow after using my iPhone X it felt weird not having rise to wake and no swiping. Will be a struggle ever using a phone where you don't swipe up anymore...

7. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

Samsung Galaxy app has Samsung Music that plays anything it finds on phone. Bixby can definitely handle complex multi step chain of commands.

8. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

I didn't seem music app for Samsung. Based on what I found out they removed that. What does it look like

9. htc fan macrumors 6502

Gotta download it from their galaxy App Store

10. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

The easiest way to use Google Music is to load the Google Play Music Manager on your PC or Mac. This works specifically with iTunes and uploads all of your music, playlists, etc.

On the Android phone of choice, all you need to do is open the Google Play Music app, all of the songs will be there.

One last step, if you want a playlist or particular song locally saved onto the phone, there is an option to do so. If you want your entire library, all you need to do is make a giant playlist with all of your songs and have it download. The great thing about this feature is, as you add songs to your playlist, it will continually update the local cache.

https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/1250232?hl=en
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2018 ---
    Curious, what do you mean by this exactly? How did you transfer your audio files over and what format were they in?

11. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

i had used the samsung switch application and i added the actual music files into the samsung audio folder, but that just saved it under audio.

i did download songs to the phone using google play music, but whenver i asked google to play a certain song it said i needed to subscribe to google play music and i only had a trial..

it wouldn't play songs i downloaded, which was strange.

this is why i returned the phone and stuck with iphone.. i can always say i did try android though.

12. mib1800 macrumors 68030

My songs are all over the place in internal and sd card and GPM has no issue finding all of them.

13. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

I tried the S8 aften 10 years of iPhones, and thank God I did. I'll not go back. Cant wait the S9 to arrive.

14. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

Works both ways. Many people who go from Samsung/Android to iohone find ios too basic and restrictive. I myself am an iphone user who has become frustrated with ios in recent years.

Each to their own.

15. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

I was wondering about that. I had 500 songs that switched over from my iPhone/iTunes. The songs are stored as files and I can play them in the backend but theres no physical music interface other than my files and a generic music player.

I just learned something new and it is in Samsung Galaxy apps. (Samsung has their own app store along side the goole play store.)

You learn somwthing new everyday. That is why I say this Samsung/Android/Galaxy series has so many options and customizations/features/settings/menus/tweaks that it is nice to have those options but might be unneccessary for my use.

I had 3 iPhones maybe even 4. I miss the ease of operation and simplicity. I switched for 3 main reasons: Phone got boring, every other time I looked for an app it was asking for $$, and the major software updates seem to mess with phone settings/pics.
    Now I sort of miss the "boringness" I guess.

Yeah same here, although I would like to try a x or plus.

16. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

I tend to get restless and wanting to try a new wine. Have to give the pure Android Essential a taste but preferably the 2.0

Samsung hopes to have tgeir own 3D Face ID tech by the time S10 comes out though might be 2010

17. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

If Samsung comes out with FPS under the screen I’ll most likely sell my iPhone X and go back to them. Waiting to see what the note 9 brings...

18. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

I am actually thinking of ordering a X tomorrow with an Apple Watch.
    The Note 8 is a great device, I just have trouble adjusting to it.

19. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Yeah it’s whatever you like. I think bestbuy has a discount on them right now. You might check that out. I think it’s like $100 off
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2018 ---
    I guess it was just for today. So I guess if you order before midnight. You will still save $100.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iphone.../pcmcat1504817590528.c?id=pcmcat1504817590528

20. mtenuta macrumors member

I’ve had the s9 plus for about 3 days. A great device but just not for me. Back to the X it is

21. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Android is a very sophisticated operating system compare to Apple's rudimentary iOS! It has a lot more features in it and is harder to learn. iOS 11.3 is still like Andriod was back 4-5 years ago!

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

My own opinion is android is more obtuse to learn, there are those who say it’s not necessarily harder to learn.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

iOS 11.3 is not even close to being a relevant comparison to android four/five years ago. I used android five years ago, and iOS 11.3 was much more stable, fluid and secure completely over android. Android five years ago was entirely laggy.

24. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

Android 5 years became terrible which made me switch to iPhone. The iPhone is rather boring that and the fact most of the apps cost money. Only reason holding back me switching.