I there a fix to Pages formatting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, Aug 6, 2012.

1. cfs, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I have been using Pages for iPad for a while now but I have just started to get a good number of documents (.doc) for work sent to me with tables in them. The problem is, every time I download one of these documents in Pages, the tables are always screwed up. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there an application out there that will download a .doc better than Pages or is Pages the best case scenario at the moment?

Thanks,

CFS

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I know exactly what you mean, I imported 35 .doc files to Pages recently and even though they were pretty simplistic in the formatting, Pages screwed up every single one....indentations where there should be none, simple tables messed up and lots of other little "errors". Goes to show how crap Pages at converting. Needs a fix, soon...

3. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I keep hoping Pages will become a realistic alternative to Microsoft WORD but so far it has been a disappointment. Heck, there isn't even a macro that will save documents created in Pages in WORD.DOC(X) format. Almost every client I have uses WORD as their word processor, and if I use Pages, I have to remember each time to go through the procedures to save the document as a WORD file.

I've also had the problems previously described in this thread importing WORD docs into Pages.

4. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there an app that you do use that doesn't loose the integrity of the file being imported or exported? Like apps such as Office HD or Quick Office?

If I can't find an alternative I'll have to start lugging around my laptop again.

5. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Are you needing to edit the files or just look at them?

Goodreader would be read only, but would keep the format.

Have not tried other apps at this point for editing other than pages.

6. jojoba macrumors 68000

I use QuickOffice for reading and minor editing. However, when consistency in formatting is an issue, I revert to my mac book air. As far as I know, there's no iPad app that can be trusted to conserve 100% consistency.

7. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

That stinks for me. My iPd has been my travel companion for two years because of its size and the ability for me to create and edit docs n it. As my docs are getting a little bit more detailed, it looks like my iPad will soon be staying at home. Big sigh.

CFS

8. jojoba macrumors 68000

Yes, it's annoying. Unfortunately, the iPad still has some limitations (at least for me) when it comes to content creation. I wish we'd get a microsoft office app, but with their new tablets being released I doubt it.

9. cfs, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just found a possible fix but it's a bit of a pain. Need to test I out with more than me document to see if it works though. Here is what I did:

1. Colleague emailed me a .doc with a table.

2. I remote logged into my laptop with LogmeIn and saved the .doc on Google Drive.

3. I opened the application Good Docs Editor and downloaded the Google doc, edited it, and synced it with my Google Drive Account.

4. From here I can either log back into my desktop, download it back to a word doc and mail it from my desktop (just worked but end time in correct format doesn't cut it) or if nobody else needs to edit it I can email it directly as a PDF form Good Docs app. However, I can't get sending as .pdf to work correctly as of yet. There are also a few more google doc editors out there I need to try.

Also, CloudOn Or Onlive may be an option.

Ideal? Absolutely not. Vey secure. Not sure. But I needed to get a document in and I only have my iPad a the moment so at least I survived another day at he office.

CFS

10. jojoba macrumors 68000

Great, thanks for sharing that.