I think 3Gs battery issues may be HARDWARE.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nimski62, Jul 24, 2009.

1. nimski62 macrumors regular

So it all started out with me being EXTREMELY annoyed of my 3Gs battery, compared to my wonderful 3G battery.

I don't use 3g, GPS, or push email, unless I REALLY have to, which doesnt happen everyday.

So in my 3g, i can be at 90% after close to 2 hours of actual usage.. (web/text/call)

My 3gS, would be close to 75% after 2 hours of the same type of usage.

I then restored my 3gS, activated it, took the simcard out, and let it sit for 20 hours.. (it was charged to 100%) and at the end of 20 hours, it was at 52%. WITH NO SIM CARD INSERTED.

Similar test with my 3G---> 20 hours = 94% battery left.

Explain this?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sounds like it is definitely a battery issue. Take it back to the store.

3. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

What do I gotta do? I don't have a store near me, at ALL. ATT is the only store neaer me, and I don't think they replace phones right?

4. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

You go to the nearest Apple Store. The closest Apple store to me is an hour away. Don't give me that crap about how "it's too far away from me." You're an American. Americans have cars. Use one.

5. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it sure shot they will replace it?? and its 2.5 hours away from me.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, I've never had any issues with my iPhone, but I did ask the AT&T store what would happen if I ever had a problem. I was told they'd just give me a white-boxed iPhone (refurb) and take the faulty iPhone.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, this is a new one. "Americans have cars." And for those that don't have cars? Non-Americans, huh? :rolleyes:

8. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Call Apple support. They'll overnight you a new phone (with a $699 hold on a credit card). You sync, erase your old phone, swap sim card to new, sync and you are pretty much done. Put the old phone back in the prepaid box and send it back within 10 days and your credit card never gets charged.

Just been through it. My firs 3Gs battery life was horrible (varied between two hours and four hours with minimal use). Hopefully my new 3Gs will be better - so far 8 hours and at 75% - much better.

9. taran420 macrumors 6502a

do they charge the $29 for americans aswell? i was given that option in Canada and they said they will charge me $30 and put a hold on my credit. he said the $30 is non refundable

10. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

11. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

They'd replace it as in AT&T or Apple?

EDIT: After rereading you reply you quoted it sounds like AT&T. When I took my phone there they said they only did exchanges on warranty in the first 10 day.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Only Apple takes care of exchanges or replacements after 10-14 days.

I've noticed that my 3GS 32GB iPhone uses about 10% per hour on average for me. My morning commute is exactly one hour and I'm usually running a movie or listening to music, checking email, FB, and maybe the occasional Slots or Tetris; then walking on campus with 90% battery remaining....:cool:

13. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

The charge was $0 on the invoice when i got the phone. No $30 charge was even mentioned.

From the willingness the Tech support guy showed to replace the phone as soon as I mentioned battery life even though he tried to justify numbers considerably shorter then apples claims, I think some reasonable percentage of these must have battery life issues.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm sorry, but WTF is this supposed to mean? I'm an American and I don't own a car and don't see the need to buy one for both environmental and monetary reasons. I use public transportation to get around, and even if I wanted to hop up to NY, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, or numerous other cities I can take the Chinatown bus or other methods. Sorry, that was a just a ridiculous statement on many levels.

OP, call Apple support. You'll be able to send the phone back and they'll ship you a new one, usually pretty quickly. Shipping is free and from what you're saying you should have a new one in a few days.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, that's good to know. Sounds like the AT&T rep was just telling me something to make me feel better.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just to let you know. I took the SIM card out of my first gen iPhone when it was running 2.2.1 and let it sit for a month before it finally died.

Now, it's dead in 3 days on 3.1 beta 2.

Could be a 3.x problem.

17. maryannee macrumors regular

lol. I swear these last few days of reading threads have been amusing.

18. taran420 macrumors 6502a

I'll try again I guess. I'm ok with the hold on my card but the non refundable doesntsound good I'm like 3 hours away from a apple store, so I can't go in store.
    I'll try again, I just hate arguing.

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If you're that far away from an Apple store, the $30 "non-refundable" fee may be less than how much it would cost you in fuel to drive to the nearest Apple store.

20. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

My battery is dead with 5 hours of usage. Kind of pisses me off. Is that a bad battery?

21. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Depends what the usage was

22. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Mostly texting and some web browsing thrown in.

23. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Not sure on txting, but web browsing on 3g kills the battery quickly (up to 5 hours use on 3g)