i think apple fixed the 17' mbp's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capriseyhaze, Mar 24, 2009.

1. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

ok i just bought a uni 17. its actually my second one. my first one had all the issues that everybody is complaining about. gfx issue,screen brightness ect. but this new one i got is flawless. none of the know issues are present not even the flicker on low brightness. so maybe apple is putting out a better batch now. what do you do think?

2. bossxii macrumors 68000

I think they are fine didn't change a thing, you happen to get a bad one, you read on the forums about people with issues, that's why they come here usually :)

Apple hasn't "fixed" or changed anything if they produce 100,000 units, I'd expect at least 1000 (1%) to have some issues, heck maybe even more like 5%, no clue what the real numbers are. Everyone that gets one with an issue is going to Google their problem which leads them to a forum where it appears "the sky is falling". The issues get blow way out of proportion and we end up with all sorts of "OMG don't buy the 17" UMBP!", "I found out from 3 different forums the 17" UMBP are trash!", "WARNING DO NOT BUY". Frankly it's funny as hell how no one seems to look at the big picture and realize how biased the information is they are reading on tech forums.

They sky isn't falling, you just happen to get one of the few bad ones, it happens, I'm glad Apple took care of your issues, but no need to Hype it up anymore then it already has been and will be :)

3. genmic macrumors regular

So by your "no clue" prediction of the defect percentage rate, I had a .000625 percent chance of having 4 computer's in a row with issues. :eek:

I think I need to buy a lottery ticket.

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

I think I stated I was guessing they may have a 1 to 5% chance of issues. Not sure where .000625 comes from. What were your issues? Which 1 to 5% is a fairly substantial number, if I had a 1 in 10,000 shot to win the lottery vs a 1 in several million, yes I would buy a ticket :)

Again perfect example because of your string of bad luck, there must be what 80% of all the 17" UMBP's are trash?

I am interested in what your issues were and why you had to return it?

5. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

le burn.

6. genmic macrumors regular

I estimated .000625% chance of getting 4 defective computers considering that each time I got a replacement MBP, from 2 different stores in fact, you estimated I had a 5% of getting a defect.

5% * 5% * 5% * %5 = .000625%

1st computer - dead pixel
    2nd computer - defective superdrive, EXTREME backlight bleed, and warped casing
    3rd computer - screen flicker, other very minor things (loose battery cover, crooked keyboard)
    4th computer - screen flicker

Am I saying all MBP's are bad? No, I'm saying you aren't being realistic. These computers do have issues, and if I can get 2 machines in a row that have a flickering problem, that probably means it's not a 5% defect.

7. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Congratulations on your flawless 17", sorry some people on this forum like to sh** on peoples parades!!

It's possible they tweaked the old batch to fix some issues by replacing some hardware.

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

So then what are the odds I've purchased a MB, MBA, 15" UMBP, 17" UMBP and at my work we received 6 15" and I think one of the 15" ones was returned for the graphics issue. Based on my experience with people I know and machines purchased at my job. The "defect" rate is very low. If we were to take your numbers of taking 4 to get 1 right, then 75% of all the 17" UMBP's are defective?

Pick a number, it's easy to debate it, I just put out a number based on my experience with the machines. Another thread here on the site http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=674002

So are those real numbers? The poll currently show's 60% have had no issues, 40% have had something.. on a forum that people end up at with issues. I would have expected 80% with issues. Like I said people have a problem, "google" it and end up here on a tech site to figure it out. If those numbers of 40% having issues aren't bias just a bit I don't know what is. :)

Bottom line they are taking care of people and getting them new machines.

While on the subject of random numbers, it is possible your two Apple stores did recieve a "bad batch" it's all just numbers, random and no one knows. Every case you make for it being higher, I can make the opposite it's lower. I'm not wasting my time with it, it was just an opinion, like it or not, makes me no difference. :)

9. bossxii macrumors 68000

So when someone asks a question, and then asks for opinions.. if they don't match yours it's false? Last I checked opinions differ greatly from person to person, I stated mine as the OP was looking for opinions. Just as you gave yours, but then again I'm used to people bashing my opinions, it's what these sites do.

If I had guess 80% I'm an Apple hating A hole and when I guess to low, I'm a f'n idiot lol. Gotta love forums.

10. genmic macrumors regular

The numbers are biased... read my post on that thread.

And look at the responses to the thread. Not one newbie, who stumbled in from "google" as you put it. Most of the people who stay on this forum are not what you think. Granted there are a few just like you described, but the people who stay here to read the threads and create the threads are not just looking for help/support with their machine problems. This is a discussion forum, not a help forum.

But at least we agree on the bottom line, that when Apple doesn't get it right they will usually fix it. And I can tell you that I love my MBP just as much as the next person. Probably more, because I had to put up with so much to get it.

11. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Relax, friend. I wasn't bashing your opinion. You're just a bit overly defensive about em. ;)

It's all in good spirits. :cool:

12. bossxii macrumors 68000

OH ok, didn't connect the names from here to there lol. So ok, your thinking 20%, I can buy that too. Still seems low in your case but anyhow. Yes we do agree Apple takes care of the issues and seems to take the "extra" step to keep it's customers happy :)

That is the bottom line for me, I've owned many many computer over the 20+ years I've used them for everything from gaming to programing. While only in the past year converted to Apple machines I probably tend to defend Apple so people just give it a try vs getting locked up in threads about issues that they may or may not have. Stressing out over "what could happen" vs diving in and enjoying a Mac, if it happens, know that Apple will take care of the customer and get them a good machine. That's really all that matters.

I won't even go into the horror stories I've had with Jeep, or Ford etc... Apple to me has very good customer service, that is why I think how I do :)

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

I hear ya, I'm not really excited, well I always am lol. I am just passionate about things I believe in. Apple taking care of customers is something unique I've experienced so I encourage and yes likely become defensive when these types of threads start :) Sorry for my "overzealousness" no clue if that's a word lol.

Anyhow text is always a pain to relay context how you mean it, which makes forums always interesting to express idea's. Everything is taken literal vs in the context of how someone is feeling etc.. It's all good though, I love to debate topics and have been known to even debate on the wrong side before. it's just enjoyable to take a topic where facts are unknown and feel out the possibilities :)

14. genmic macrumors regular

Well now I see your motives, and I have to agree it's much better for people not to get caught up with worrying about issues/defects. I know I have no regrets because in the end I still have an awesome computer (actually an upgrade from the one I originally bought, thanks apple :D). I was just trying to be realistic given my experience.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Only if the lottery ticket guarantees the winner will get killed by a runaway sewage truck that runs over you while you are naked and covered in honey while wearing a tutu while at an office retreat.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Congrats, ignore those who are attacking you. They are either:

1) Jealous you have the newest batch with no issues.
    2) Angry that their 17" unibody has one of the issues (flickering screen 1-3 brightness, gpu glitch, black screen while gaming, over heating issues so they have to use an smc fan control) and probably is waiting for the software update.

17. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Lol.

Please leave the thread and learn statistics.

You attacked someone for not knowing statistics, they promptly shut you up, you didn't even understand how he got .000625% .

We don't need your type in this community.