Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
  • I really think FireWire is part of the whole Mac experience, and Apple is stupid for removing these from portables. FireWire hasn't even reached it's full potential. Even if Steve knows something about the future of computing that we don't, the move is premature.
  • That's great that we're using Flash media now, but does it have to be SOLDERED to the logic board?
  • A friend recently took his MacBook to the Apple Store because of bad headphone jack and they quoted him $900 to replace the logic board.
  • If Apple is going to force us away from FireWire, AT LEAST give us 3 USB ports. (4 preferred, but 1 is pathetic)
  • I don't like Flash either, but HTML5 isn't perfect. I tried t watch the Mac World Keynote off Apple's website and it wouldn't let me FF, REW or go into full screen. I thought it was pretty funny.
I could go on, but there's no point. I'm glad Apple is doing well for themselves. It would be nice if we could be doing well too.

mbrown5

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Phoenix
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sounds more like a rant about the MacBook Air than anything else. It's a computer that fits a certain preference, which obviously doesn't include yours. So pick a different model.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The flash memory is not soldered to the logic board. Only the RAM is. There are actually 2 USB ports on the new Air, and there is no way to put three, plus they wouldn't do that anyhow, seeing as only the 17" MBP has 3.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
[*]I really think FireWire is part of the whole Mac experience, and Apple is stupid for removing these from portables. FireWire hasn't even reached it's full potential. Even if Steve knows something about the future of computing that we don't, the move is premature.

I personally have never used FireWire, and many other people don't either, so I don't really know about it being a "part of the whole Mac experience" (though what am I saying... if I ever wanted to use it my MBP does still have a FireWire port).

[*]That's great that we're using Flash media now, but does it have to be SOLDERED to the logic board?

Takes up less space = fulfilling Apple's mad plan for everything to be thinner/smaller. I could get into the whole "Apple constantly chooses style over substance", but people here are already well aware of that.

[*]A friend recently took his MacBook to the Apple Store because of bad headphone jack and they quoted him $900 to replace the logic board.

Because the headphone jack is soldered directly to the logic board, as are all of the ports along the side of the computer (and is the case for most computers, if I'm not mistaken). If any of the ports were busted it would involve a logic board replacement at some point.

[*]If Apple is going to force us away from FireWire, AT LEAST give us 3 USB ports. (4 preferred, but 1 is pathetic)

Agreed. 2 USB ports on a 15" MacBook Pro just doesn't work for me, though on something like - say - the Air it is understandable, it's a niche product. Just curious though, what's with the "1 is pathetic" comment? From my understanding, since the Air refresh every Mac has at least 2 USB ports now.

[*]I don't like Flash either, but HTML5 isn't perfect. I tried t watch the Mac World Keynote off Apple's website and it wouldn't let me FF, REW or go into full screen. I thought it was pretty funny.

That's why it's a "live" stream, you see exactly what is happening at that moment. It's not necessarily a restriction of HTML5 at all, that's just how Apple has programmed their specific video player to work. Also, you have to remember that HTML5 is not an Apple creation - they merely support HTML5 over Flash.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
really think FireWire is part of the whole Mac experience, and Apple is stupid for removing these from portables. FireWire hasn't even reached it's full potential. Even if Steve knows something about the future of computing that we don't, the move is premature.
Apple has steadily moved away from FW, the move is not premature. Did the older MBA have a FW port?

That's great that we're using Flash media now, but does it have to be SOLDERED to the logic board?
Incorrect, apple did not solder the flash storage but use a proprietary connector

A friend recently took his MacBook to the Apple Store because of bad headphone jack and they quoted him $900 to replace the logic board.
Was the MBA out of warranty? Perhaps the logic board was failing. You're leaving key pieces of information out on this story

If Apple is going to force us away from FireWire, AT LEAST give us 3 USB ports. (4 preferred, but 1 is pathetic)
How many ports did the older MBA have? One! Yet you whine. Its a tiny laptop, there's not enough room

I don't like Flash either, but HTML5 isn't perfect. I tried t watch the Mac World Keynote off Apple's website and it wouldn't let me FF, REW or go into full screen. I thought it was pretty funny.
That's why the governing board has stated that HTML5 is not ready for prime time yet.

You feel better now that you got that off your chest? Most of your rant is illogical and ill-founded based on ignorance.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Takes up less space = fulfilling Apple's mad plan for everything to be thinner/smaller. I could get into the whole "Apple constantly chooses style over substance", but people here are already well aware of that.

I would call this the worst choice Apple has made. Instead of making the mini bigger and offering more they made it even smaller. It's a desktop computer not a portable music player. It doesn't have to be ultra small. I agree, it is a mad plan.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I love my 17" MBP, and thank god I'm not a pansy little boy who thinks I need a MBA b/c 3 lbs is too heavy. :D :p

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I love my 17" MBP, and thank god I'm not a pansy little boy who thinks I need a MBA b/c 3 lbs is too heavy. :D :p

LOL +1

I love my MBP 17.

I don't get what is up with people whining that even their 13/15 inch MBPs being too heavy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like the OP bought the wrong Apple product. :rolleyes:

That's the issue a lot of times. Someone buys the latest apple product because its cool without regard to how that product will actually meet their needs.

I like the 11" MBA but there's no getting by the fact that is a slower laptop that has less expandable options and less ports. Its not meant for people who need those things. Yet these people then rail against apple for making poor choices when it was them who should have look at how the MBA fits their requirements. [/ramble]

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
That's the issue a lot of times. Someone buys the latest apple product because its cool without regard to how that product will actually meet their needs.

And then there are people like me that doesn't buy the latest Apple product because it's cool and it frustratingly waiting for an Apple product that does meet his needs. And all I keep finding is this big hole between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro and Apple doesn't get it that an iMac isn't the Apple product I need.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I tried t watch the Mac World Keynote off Apple's website and it wouldn't let me FF, REW or go into full screen. I thought it was pretty funny.
The last Macworld keynote Apple did was this one from 2009. For me, either link opens up in QuickTime Player where FF, REW and full-screen are definitely available. What happens for you?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And then there are people like me that doesn't buy the latest Apple product because it's cool and it frustratingly waiting for an Apple product that does meet his needs. And all I keep finding is this big hole between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro and Apple doesn't get it that an iMac isn't the Apple product I need.

MacPro owners fit this category. In part that's one reason why built a hackintosh. (other reasons are that I'm a nerd and wanted to do it ;) ) Those folks waited almost 500 days I recollect and the update really failed to appease many of them and their needs.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!

Oh, Apple "Gets it" all right. They could easily build a Mac Tower.

They just don't feel that it would be profitable or wise to cater to your needs.

Apparently, you and other "computer enthusiasts" have been judged to be part of a small, vocal and UNPROFITABLE minority of potential customers and would be more trouble than you're worth.
So, they specifically avoid catering to your segment. Thus the "big hole".

Want "expandability" and the plethora of potential compatibility problems? Then you have to ante up the big bucks for a Mac Pro to make it worth their while.

It may sound offensive, but it's good business. The iMacs and Mini are difficult to foul up because of the lack of expandability. Fewer complains = better reputation, less headaches for everyone.
Except you. And other Enthusiasts of course.

Like Steve said about netbooks: "There are some customers we choose not to serve."
The mid-tower market is another "dead" market for Apple.

Just another one of the "real bad recent choices" that seems to be working out really well for Apple.

Oh well,
Keri

PS. Buying a Mac Pro worked out really well for me. You'll forget all about the initial expense before you know it and in the long term it's cheaper!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh, Apple "Gets it" all right. They could easily build a Mac Tower.

They just don't feel that it would be profitable or wise to cater to your needs.
I would have worded differently as you come off a bit condescending but you are right.

Apple has moved away from the professional sector and while they still provide a Mac Pro, clearly that is not their focus. Just look at how long it takes them to refresh it.

apple has a more consumer focused approach which provides a higher degree of profitability.

Still by not providing even the consumer with choice, they run the risk of marginalizing their line up and/or becoming more of niche player. So far that has not occurred since the Mac platform has grown.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
  • I really think FireWire is part of the whole Mac experience, and Apple is stupid for removing these from portables. FireWire hasn't even reached it's full potential. Even if Steve knows something about the future of computing that we don't, the move is premature.

• Record Mac sales (remember, the cost of entry is at least $1000 unless it's a Mini) seem to suggest otherwise. Lightpeak might be here sooner than we think. Mac sales are about increase all the more in light of what Lion promises. Yes, Steve knows something about the future of computing that we don't (proven with the iPad.)

[*]That's great that we're using Flash media now, but does it have to be SOLDERED to the logic board?

Some things that are normally removable from your average PC are not removable from a Mac. Apple views Macs as appliances that have a very long shelf life - running their own OS and software designed to run on that OS. That's part of the reason even older Macs are in such demand and keep their resale value so well.

The strategy seems to be working. People bought Macs in droves during a recession. There is a higher value proposition with them, including soldered parts, apparently.

[*]A friend recently took his MacBook to the Apple Store because of bad headphone jack and they quoted him $900 to replace the logic board.
    [*]If Apple is going to force us away from FireWire, AT LEAST give us 3 USB ports. (4 preferred, but 1 is pathetic)

For the first point there's such a thing as a warranty and AppleCare. The way things are so well integrated in a Mac means that replacement costs can get expensive. In spite of this, Apple rates highest in customer service and satisfaction year after year. Apparently the replacement costs aren't hurting Apple and consumers enough to warrant any design changes.

Second point, I'd agree with you. But not for Macbook Airs. My early '08 Macbook Pro has two USB ports, however. Has something changed?

[*]I don't like Flash either, but HTML5 isn't perfect. I tried t watch the Mac World Keynote off Apple's website and it wouldn't let me FF, REW or go into full screen. I thought it was pretty funny.
I could go on, but there's no point. I'm glad Apple is doing well for themselves. It would be nice if we could be doing well too.

HTML5 is the way things are heading, Even Adobe admits to this. Development of and for it will explode over near-term. It's been a slow wakeup to the fact that Flash needs work and replacing, but it's happening.

As to your second point, Apple is doing well for themselves precisely because consumers like what Apple is doing and they're buying, and they continue to buy Apple gear. Apple didn't have a $20 billion quarter, surpass MS in revenue and ready to pass Exxon Mobil in market cap because they printed themselves money. Consumers are doing very well with Apple products, plain and simple. Whether Apple caters to YOUR particular personal need is a different matter entirely. Who knows, there might be a Dell with your name on it.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
I would have worded differently as you come off a bit condescending but you are right.

Apple has moved away from the professional sector and while they still provide a Mac Pro, clearly that is not their focus. Just look at how long it takes them to refresh it.

apple has a more consumer focused approach which provides a higher degree of profitability.

Still by not providing even the consumer with choice, they run the risk of marginalizing their line up and/or becoming more of niche player. So far that has not occurred since the Mac platform has grown.

No KeriJane said it right. I know that I'm a picky SOB. I know that what I like and what I want seems to lie outside of the bell curve. Lately I've just needed to vent. It's non productive but makes me feel a little better. But not finding the one item I want the most (and a mini tower type of computer isn't some unheard of type of product) I can't see spending money for Apple's other more profitable products. I know I'll either have to set my sights lower and settle for a Mac mini or after twenty years say goodbye to Apple and switch platforms.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
Apple has steadily moved away from FW, the move is not premature. Did the older MBA have a FW port?

I'm talking about the new white MacBook- -NO FIREWIRE- but yes, I also bought the Air.
You're right, it's an illogical rant, based purely on emotion. I want ports all the way around the laptop, and it's stressful that I can't, but that's just how I feel. Personally, I have little regard to logic these days- it has little to no consideration as to how I feel.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Incorrect, apple did not solder the flash storage but use a proprietary connector

Actually, the flash storage modules in the new MBA do not use a proprietary connector. It uses a mSATA connector and at least two companies have already announced aftermarket SSD drives that will work in the new MBAs.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Actually, the flash storage modules in the new MBA do not use a proprietary connector. It uses a mSATA connector and at least two companies have already announced aftermarket SSD drives that will work in the new MBAs.

Actually, it's a standard Mini-PCI Express.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm talking about the new white MacBook- -NO FIREWIRE- but yes, I also bought the Air.
I'll trade you my Late 2008 MacBook for you're new white MacBook. I have no use for Firewire, I only wish for another USB in the space the Firewire takes up.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

You're right. At the time, I was under the impession of such, but Toshiba has released more information insofar as perhaps making the modules available to other computer companies.

You're right, it's an illogical rant, based purely on emotion. I want ports all the way around the laptop, and it's stressful that I can't, but that's just how I feel. Personally, I have little regard to logic these days- it has little to no consideration as to how I feel.
Logic and emotion are not usually linked together :)

I think FW's demise has been in the making, I've not used FW on my computers for a little while. Yes, its better the usb, but esata is faster then either one and right now, my external drives are using that.

As for having ports all around the laptop. Yeah that would be nice, but given the cramped quarters of the laptops, apple has opted for more aesthetics over function. I suspect what makes an MBA so popular right now is its thinness, adding more ports, especially all around the laptop would make it thicker, thus reducing the "sexiness"

Last edited:

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
TOPIC SUMMARY:
  • That's great that we're using Flash media now, but does it have to be SOLDERED to the logic board?
Actually, the flash storage modules in the new MBA do not use a proprietary connector. It uses a mSATA connector
Actually, it's a standard Mini-PCI Express.
This is why I <3 MacRumors. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.