iPad mini I think apple 'messed up' beefing up rMini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, Jan 13, 2014.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

A lot of people complain about only 1gb of ram. But I don't see it that way.

I see it as same internals as the full size, but with less gamut, and 100 bucks less and in a more travel-able package. It goes with me a lot of places now.

It feels like now that mini is retina a lot of rMini users won't care about next gen. Fingerprint scanner and faster silicone? Eh.

Sort of like how I tried an iPad 4 but because of IR and other issues I returned to my 3 and didn't feel that left in the dirt in terms of the overall experience.

Same reason I felt apple messed up giving iPhone 5 a fast CPU and lte. For most 5 users there's little reason to go with 5c or 5s unless you're a true die hard.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most people don't upgrade every generation, take the iPhone 5 as you stated in your post.

People go from the 4s to the 5s, and the 5 to the 6. From generation to generation there's not much to justify an upgrade. Likewise for the iPads there's little reason to spend that much money every generation. The big difference in this case is, the amount of improvements we see from the Mini to the rMini.

I expect more improvements from the 4th gen mini since I have a second gen mini, I'm not going to get one next year.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

+1… I wish Apple had put an A7 chip in the iPad2 and called it a day… returned my Air because of the constant crashing while browsing.

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I agree with what you're saying but I think a considerable amount of people switched from 4s to 5 specifically because of big screen lte and comparatively less power hungry silicone.

That 4s battery life was a dog. Worst I experienced from 1st gen through iPhone 5.

But when the improvements are so incremental even long time aficionados are hard pressed to come up with legitimate reasons for doing so, the apple hype train seems a bit off.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I think Apple is doing a very good job of offering a wide variety of products that fill various niches.

I don't believe the majority of people on this site are representative of the whole. I think this forum represents a lot of extreme consumers, who feel the need to feel superior by upgrading every gadget Apple makes, just so they can say they did.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Am I reading this right? The OP is mad because Apple included retina and a faster processor in the mini???

That's the sole reason I upgraded from my iPad 1 to a new iPad was because I wanted a mini but also wanted retina.

7. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Yes, if Apple didn't include retina and A7, he'd whine about that. The whole point of the post is just complaining.

8. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

those are usually the people that switch with every update. i only go from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Not complaining at all. I'm happy I have an a7 in there and not an a6 as many people predicted the mini would remain one generation behind in terms of CPU.

Just offered criticism from a strategic standpoint. Or an observation/opinion.

But upset? Definitely not. How could I be? I've stated that there's really little to nothing next gen can offer to entice me.

10. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Ideally, Apple would want you to buy a 5S. A 5c is simply an iPhone 5s which is cheaper to produce, for those who don't need the latest iPhone every year.

Likewise, I don't see why they should not give both ipads the same specs. This makes both just as it is equally capable, and the only real decision you need to make is device size. No need for any other compromisers.

11. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The 5c is a cheaper iPhone 5 but not a cheaper iPhone 5s.

12. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Right. I meant to say iphone5 there. :p

13. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

It's more of an iOS7 thing, my iPad2 crashes have increased from 1 per 6-months, to 1 a day, since upgrading to iOS7.

14. WilliamG macrumors G3

7.1 fixes it. iPad 2 has a terrible display by any modern standard.

15. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Agreed. It's one reason I switched to Apple. Trying to get a smartphone with a small screen with full specs is impossible with android. They put all the power into their big screen devices and then make smaller ones as an afterthought.

Yeah the Nexus 7, but if you've actually used one the screen size is just too little. That extra inch makes a big difference on a tablet.

Point remains, forcing users to choose between powerful and portable is foolish. They proved that you can make a smaller device for less money and not sacrifice a bit of power. I look forward to the generation after next when I update.

16. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

That's software of iOS 7, which is terrible, nothing to do with the iPad air hardware

17. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

And 7.1 fixes it anyway.

18. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

So they should have held something back because people might not want to upgrade to the next generation? These are getting to be mature products. If these upgrades were not done many people would have stayed with the previous generation, including me. Not everyone needs to upgrade every year. Apple might like it, but it gets kinda costly.

19. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

You're upset apple gave the iPhone 5 LTE and a faster CPU? Hahahhaa

And why would someone update from iPhone 5 to a 5C when it's the EXACT same phone but in cheap plastic?

20. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Thanks for continuing to misunderstand my point and mistakenly strengthen it at the same time

21. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

Different strokes for different folks. He said he'd prefer a cheaper, smaller, lighter device; others would prefer a bigger, faster device even if it's a bit more expensive.

(I'm more in the second category too; but I'm upgrading from iPad 2 -> iPad Air so I'm getting the best of both worlds).

22. mfr1340 macrumors regular

I have had them all

I have had them all and now have the rmini, and loving it. The next one's I will have are the 12.9" Pro, The iPhone 6 5.5", and the iwatch. I have only had one problem with quality. My iPad 4 just would't start and BB just swapped it out for a new one.