Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
A lot of people complain about only 1gb of ram. But I don't see it that way.

I see it as same internals as the full size, but with less gamut, and 100 bucks less and in a more travel-able package. It goes with me a lot of places now.

It feels like now that mini is retina a lot of rMini users won't care about next gen. Fingerprint scanner and faster silicone? Eh.

Sort of like how I tried an iPad 4 but because of IR and other issues I returned to my 3 and didn't feel that left in the dirt in terms of the overall experience.

Same reason I felt apple messed up giving iPhone 5 a fast CPU and lte. For most 5 users there's little reason to go with 5c or 5s unless you're a true die hard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Most people don't upgrade every generation, take the iPhone 5 as you stated in your post.

People go from the 4s to the 5s, and the 5 to the 6. From generation to generation there's not much to justify an upgrade. Likewise for the iPads there's little reason to spend that much money every generation. The big difference in this case is, the amount of improvements we see from the Mini to the rMini.

I expect more improvements from the 4th gen mini since I have a second gen mini, I'm not going to get one next year.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
+1… I wish Apple had put an A7 chip in the iPad2 and called it a day… returned my Air because of the constant crashing while browsing.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I agree with what you're saying but I think a considerable amount of people switched from 4s to 5 specifically because of big screen lte and comparatively less power hungry silicone.

That 4s battery life was a dog. Worst I experienced from 1st gen through iPhone 5.

But when the improvements are so incremental even long time aficionados are hard pressed to come up with legitimate reasons for doing so, the apple hype train seems a bit off.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think Apple is doing a very good job of offering a wide variety of products that fill various niches.

I don't believe the majority of people on this site are representative of the whole. I think this forum represents a lot of extreme consumers, who feel the need to feel superior by upgrading every gadget Apple makes, just so they can say they did.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Am I reading this right? The OP is mad because Apple included retina and a faster processor in the mini???

That's the sole reason I upgraded from my iPad 1 to a new iPad was because I wanted a mini but also wanted retina.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Am I reading this right? The OP is mad because Apple included retina and a faster processor in the mini???

That's the sole reason I upgraded from my iPad 1 to a new iPad was because I wanted a mini but also wanted retina.

Yes, if Apple didn't include retina and A7, he'd whine about that. The whole point of the post is just complaining.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I agree with what you're saying but I think a considerable amount of people switched from 4s to 5 specifically because of big screen lte and comparatively less power hungry silicone.

That 4s battery life was a dog. Worst I experienced from 1st gen through iPhone 5.

But when the improvements are so incremental even long time aficionados are hard pressed to come up with legitimate reasons for doing so, the apple hype train seems a bit off.

those are usually the people that switch with every update. i only go from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

Not complaining at all. I'm happy I have an a7 in there and not an a6 as many people predicted the mini would remain one generation behind in terms of CPU.

Just offered criticism from a strategic standpoint. Or an observation/opinion.

But upset? Definitely not. How could I be? I've stated that there's really little to nothing next gen can offer to entice me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Ideally, Apple would want you to buy a 5S. A 5c is simply an iPhone 5s which is cheaper to produce, for those who don't need the latest iPhone every year.

Likewise, I don't see why they should not give both ipads the same specs. This makes both just as it is equally capable, and the only real decision you need to make is device size. No need for any other compromisers.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Ideally, Apple would want you to buy a 5S. A 5c is simply an iPhone 5s which is cheaper to produce, for those who don't need the latest iPhone every year.

Likewise, I don't see why they should not give both ipads the same specs. This makes both just as it is equally capable, and the only real decision you need to make is device size. No need for any other compromisers.

The 5c is a cheaper iPhone 5 but not a cheaper iPhone 5s.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
+1… I wish Apple had put an A7 chip in the iPad2 and called it a day… returned my Air because of the constant crashing while browsing.

It's more of an iOS7 thing, my iPad2 crashes have increased from 1 per 6-months, to 1 a day, since upgrading to iOS7.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA

Agreed. It's one reason I switched to Apple. Trying to get a smartphone with a small screen with full specs is impossible with android. They put all the power into their big screen devices and then make smaller ones as an afterthought.

Yeah the Nexus 7, but if you've actually used one the screen size is just too little. That extra inch makes a big difference on a tablet.

Point remains, forcing users to choose between powerful and portable is foolish. They proved that you can make a smaller device for less money and not sacrifice a bit of power. I look forward to the generation after next when I update.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

That's software of iOS 7, which is terrible, nothing to do with the iPad air hardware

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

I see it as same internals as the full size, but with less gamut, and 100 bucks less and in a more travel-able package. It goes with me a lot of places now.

It feels like now that mini is retina a lot of rMini users won't care about next gen. Fingerprint scanner and faster silicone? Eh.

Sort of like how I tried an iPad 4 but because of IR and other issues I returned to my 3 and didn't feel that left in the dirt in terms of the overall experience.

Same reason I felt apple messed up giving iPhone 5 a fast CPU and lte. For most 5 users there's little reason to go with 5c or 5s unless you're a true die hard.

So they should have held something back because people might not want to upgrade to the next generation? These are getting to be mature products. If these upgrades were not done many people would have stayed with the previous generation, including me. Not everyone needs to upgrade every year. Apple might like it, but it gets kinda costly.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

You're upset apple gave the iPhone 5 LTE and a faster CPU? Hahahhaa

And why would someone update from iPhone 5 to a 5C when it's the EXACT same phone but in cheap plastic?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
You're upset apple gave the iPhone 5 LTE and a faster CPU? Hahahhaa

And why would someone update from iPhone 5 to a 5C when it's the EXACT same phone but in cheap plastic?

Thanks for continuing to misunderstand my point and mistakenly strengthen it at the same time

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Different strokes for different folks. He said he'd prefer a cheaper, smaller, lighter device; others would prefer a bigger, faster device even if it's a bit more expensive.

(I'm more in the second category too; but I'm upgrading from iPad 2 -> iPad Air so I'm getting the best of both worlds).

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
I have had them all

Different strokes for different folks. He said he'd prefer a cheaper, smaller, lighter device; others would prefer a bigger, faster device even if it's a bit more expensive.

(I'm more in the second category too; but I'm upgrading from iPad 2 -> iPad Air so I'm getting the best of both worlds).

I have had them all and now have the rmini, and loving it. The next one's I will have are the 12.9" Pro, The iPhone 6 5.5", and the iwatch. I have only had one problem with quality. My iPad 4 just would't start and BB just swapped it out for a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.