Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I think Apple missed an opportunity with the watch by not offering some sort of upgrade or trade in program. They kept version 1 around but updated the processor which indicates they have the ability to swap that component out. I guess we'll have to wait for the tear downs to see if there are any other changes to the internal layout. It also indicates to me though that Apple knows the S1 chip wasn't all that great.

So what do people who have a first gen watch but aren't really interested in swimming or running do? Fork out $269/$299 for an S2 chip? Why couldn't Apple allow gen 1 owners to either have the chip in their device replaced or if that's not possible let them swap out the watch part for a new watch part at a reduced price? As someone who isn't a runner and doesn't swim I really don't have a need for Series 2 but I definitely would like the better processor as I don't think software alone will make the watch as fast as it should be.

This is a very confusing decision by Apple. How frequently do they sell last years model with updated CPU...maybe they've done it with Mac before but I don't think they ever have with iOS devices.

Reactions: Dino F

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Well it's a new product category. I feel it was a bit rushed for Cook to claim he had engineered something just like Jobs. The V2 is very very close to what the V1 should have been.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Manufacturing a new watch with a new chip, which allows them to consolidate production for greater efficiencies is nothing like offering an upgrade program. I'm sure Apple could upgrade your watch if they wanted to, but how much would they have to charge to make it reasonable? $150, more? And you have to send your watch in because it's not getting done at the local store.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The iPhone SE is basically a last year model with updated CPU/innards, at least it looks exactly the same as iPhone 5s.

Why single out the AW if Apple doesn't offer innards upgrade program for the iPhone, or any other iDevices for that matter?

Reactions: Peter K.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
If preorder day comes and Apple adds an option to upgrade/trade in your Gen 1, and buy a new one as body-only, I might be swayed.

Otherwise, I'll still be happy with my Gen1 and watchOS 3.

Reactions: AtheistP3ace

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Manufacturing a new watch with a new chip, which allows them to consolidate production for greater efficiencies is nothing like offering an upgrade program. I'm sure Apple could upgrade your watch if they wanted to, but how much would they have to charge to make it reasonable? $150, more? And you have to send your watch in because it's not getting done at the local store.
Is it a new watch though? That's why I said we'll have to wait for the tear downs. Anyway how difficult would it be to offer a new watch (sans band) for current watch owners? I don't need new bands. I just want the new chip.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that they aren't upgrading previous owners, but I do understand your concern. I also feel Series 2 is what the original should have been but either way I do like my watch and want the new one. I am going to hold off and see what reviews say.

If you can disable GPS (Something I don't care about) and get a better battery life I may fork over the money.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Is it a new watch though? That's why I said we'll have to wait for the tear downs. Anyway how difficult would it be to offer a new watch (sans band) for current watch owners? I don't need new bands. I just want the new chip.

The Series 1 and 2 are slightly thicker than the original AW so no go.

You can simply get the base model with the new chip, swap over your existing band and sell the rubber/nylon band. It's, what, only a $50 difference?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
The iPhone SE is basically a last year model with updated CPU/innards, at least it looks exactly the same as iPhone 5s.

Why single out the AW if Apple doesn't offer innards upgrade program for the iPhone, or any other iDevices for that matter?
The SE is more than just swapping out the CPU. From what Jeff Williams said it sounds like the Series 1 watch is exactly the same as 1st gen watch except for the S2 chip. Let's not forget when the Watch was first announced a lot of people speculated on whether we might be able to replace the SiP vs buying a whole new watch. It sounds like Apple is doing just that. But like I said in my OP we'll need to see the tear downs to know if Apple made any other internal layout changes for Series 1. Even still I think they should offer an option to just replace the watch without having to buy a new band. I can't see the watch being handed down the way iPhone are. I own 6 watch bands. I don't need a new band but I would like a new watch. Let me recycle my watch for a new one sans band at a reduced price.
[doublepost=1473344023][/doublepost]
The Series 1 and 2 are slightly thicker than the original AW so no go.

You can simply get the base model with the new chip, swap over your existing band and sell the rubber/nylon band. It's, what, only a $50 difference?
Sure but why couldn't Apple also offer the watch sands band for people who want to upgrade?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The SE is more than just swapping out the CPU. From what Jeff Williams said it sounds like the Series 1 watch is exactly the same as 1st gen watch except for the S2 chip. Let's not forget when the Watch was first announced a lot of people speculated on whether we might be able to replace the SiP vs buying a whole new watch. It sounds like Apple is doing just that. But like I said in my OP we'll need to see the tear downs to know if Apple made any other internal layout changes for Series 1. Even still I think they should offer an option to just replace the watch without having to buy a new band. I can't see the watch being handed down the way iPhone are. I own 6 watch bands. I don't need a new band but I would like a new watch. Let me recycle my watch for a new one sans band at a reduced price.
[doublepost=1473344023][/doublepost]
Sure but why couldn't Apple also offer the watch sands band for people who want to upgrade?

You're overthinking/stressing out over only $50. Just get the base model of whatever version you have and sell the new rubber/nylon band with your original AW to recoup at least part of the $50.

The vast majority of watch manufacturers do not do this and it's only a $50 difference in accessories (bands are considered accessories in the watch world). Apple also forces you to buy accessories you already have when you get the new iPhone so that's nothing new.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
The vast majority of watch manufacturers do not do this and it's only a $50 difference in accessories (bands are considered accessories in the watch world). Apple also forces you to buy accessories you already have when you get the new iPhone so that's nothing new.
I didn't have to buy a new case when I went from a 6 to a 6S. So Apple doesn't always do that. I don't see the watch being a hand me down product like the iPhone is so offering some sort of trade in/recycle option would make sense.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So what do people who have a first gen watch but aren't really interested in swimming or running do? Fork out $269/$299 for an S2 chip? Why couldn't Apple allow gen 1 owners to either have the chip in their device replaced or if that's not possible let them swap out the watch part for a new watch part at a reduced price? As someone who isn't a runner and doesn't swim I really don't have a need for Series 2 but I definitely would like the better processor as I don't think software alone will make the watch as fast as it should be.

I am sure there is more to it than just a new chip. The AW2 is a bit more thick so there is no interchanging of parts.

Many will not buy the AW2 and stick with their AW1, it is always the buyer who chooses.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I didn't have to buy a new case when I went from a 6 to a 6S. So Apple doesn't always do that. I don't see the watch being a hand me down product like the iPhone is so offering some sort of trade in/recycle option would make sense.

But you did have to buy new accessories you already have (namely charging brick, cable and earphones) when you went from a 6 to a 6s. Together they go for more than $50 retail too.

Reactions: PatrickNSF

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point

Im using applecare+ to get a "new" OG sport and I am going to gift it to my old mother for xmas to help her stay moving and track her progress when she gets out to walk. Plus she has a horrible problem of not answering her phone when it is in the abyss that is her purse so having a watch on would help her stay in touch with family I think. Wife gave me the blessing to get what I wanted in the second gen watch when I bought the first being that i am getting the black SS with link.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
But you did have to buy new accessories you already have (namely charging brick, cable and earphones) when you went from a 6 to a 6s. Together they go for more than $50 retail too.
My phone gets returned to AT&T when I upgrade so...
[doublepost=1473359097][/doublepost]
Do they have to do anything?
If they want the faster CPU, yes.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think the percentage of folks that upgrades every time there is something new is rather limited. I won't say that I expect this decision to feel good for the original Apple Watch owners, but it is what it is. Apple seems to be wanting to get the Watch into the hands of more people with these changes.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
Um have you used an Watch? Slow as molasses. No way software alone fixes that.

Loading the applications onto the Watch will definitely make them run faster. In previous versions of Watch OS, the applications had to load over a slow BT connection.

Have you ever upgraded an older computer with a new SSD drive? With nothing else changed, the older machine suddenly becomes faster than the day it was originally purchased.

The upgrade to OS3 is like adding a new SSD to an older PC. It will perform better than the day you bought it because the processor was not the bottleneck.

TxWatch

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
On the contrary, some wOS 3 beta testers have said it's fixed even in the original AW and that it feels like a new AW.
I'll believe it when I try it. But if that's the case why did Apple decide to update 1st gen with new chip?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Um have you used an Watch? Slow as molasses. No way software alone fixes that.
Yes, I have.

Software can fix a lot given time. Mostly it fixes problems of its own making ;)
[doublepost=1473395146][/doublepost]
... why did Apple decide to update 1st gen with new chip?
Simplifies manufacturing and support. Kills purchase objections that, "this is a 2-year old design", regardless of whether that actually matters.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I thought I'd add something here reguseding how people are looking at the Watch.

In a way we have what we have with the standard and plus series. They "redid" generation one however it is in the same chassis as gen 2. So series one is like iPhone 7. Series two is like the 7s, lacking a few features and such.

Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense. I'm falling asleep waiting to preorder lol. And as much as I said we wouldn't be getting a 7 my wife wants me to preorder one. At least I'm standing my ground in that one lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.