I think apple moved the flash on the 12.9 just so cases wouldn't fit

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by wetcanvas, Aug 1, 2017.

1. wetcanvas macrumors regular

i had a perfectly good case from the 2015 12.9 iPad and apple had to go and move the flash location and the mic just so cases wouldn't be compatible. Now I have to spend money on a case I already had. The one thing I can say is at least the keyboard still works on both. Probably by accident for sure..

2. mstanco macrumors newbie

mstanco

they always do this... this is why the iPhone 6s is thicker than the 6, etc. Suprised they didnt do it with watch bands from series one to two

3. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Apple didn't move the flash. The first gen 12.9 had no flash.

4. JTravers macrumors 6502a

Exactly.
    And you can still use old cases if you don't have a need for the flash. How often are you actually using it?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you don't the flash, then you can use the old case, since you don't need the cutout.

6. Tmelon macrumors 65816

The moved microphone could also be a concern for those looking to use the old case.

7. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Apple is not making industrial design decisions on whether or not old cases will fit. The product is much more important than the accessory compatibility.

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

This is a baseless claim. Apple isn't trying to force anyone to buy a new back cover for the new 12.9" Pro because they don't MAKE an official back cover for the 2nd Gen 12.9" Pro. Go ahead and go over to the Apple site, go to the Cases and Protection area for iPads, and try to filter your search for compatibility with only the 2nd Gen 12.9" Pro. There is not an Apple made model in the list. The only reason you can still buy an Apple brand 12.9" back cover is because they are still selling the one compatible with the gen 1 model, much like how you can still buy a 9.7" Pro back cover.

All signs right now are pointing to Apple getting out of the back cover business for iPads. I'm no fan of the leather sleeve as I don't think it offers nearly enough peace of mind for the price, but there were plenty of third party options for me to choose from that were perfectly acceptable. In the end I opted for one that was pretty expensive (the Tech21 brand), but my second favorite was a $15 Luvvitt TPU back cover.

It would be nice if people would tone it down around here with the conspiracy theories. The sky isn't always falling. And if it's a major problem, you could always just not upgrade. Personally, when I sold my 9.7" Pro, I was able to get a bunch more money for it by throwing in the 9.7" compatible Apple silicone case and ASK. I used the proceeds to pay for the 10.5" Pro and ASK and grabbed the back cover separately.