I think apple should skip the push notification

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shk718, Nov 4, 2008.

1. shk718 macrumors 65816

I'm guessing all of the delays their having with the push notification is due to all of the problems their having with mobile me. I'm sure its the same design. I don't think they'll ever be able to get it rock solid - and even if they do - all it will take is one glitch and all of our programs that will rely on it will fail at the same time. it will be a 100% failure rate. Much like when blackberry has a problem. Apple seems to not understand this type of functionality. Plus i think its adding such a complicated layer that is unnecessary. i would rather have lower battery life (and my guess is its not going to be that much lower) but have it function as it should - apple should allow background demons. I think their going to fail with the way their going to implement it. How will Messenger applications work? You log off - get an IM - have to close down what your working on - open the messenger app to respond the go back to what you were working on. It wont work. What do y’all think?

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

3. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I have to say, I agree.

Personally, I think Apple should give users the choice to run background apps. The apps should be made to show warnings to the user of what it can/can't do and it's affect on the phones battery life. I'd personally be fine with that. Keep the app store process the same etc, and no malware will muck up the phone.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I think you should know more about what you are talking about before commenting.

5. markgamber macrumors 6502

Well, if it's all that important, all you need to do is jailbreak the phone, which is simple and takes 10 minutes, and install Backgrounder which lets you run apps in the background. Works fine for me. Ignore the tools and don't let Apple get between you and a usable phone.

6. daisuke07 macrumors regular

The iPhone is overrated also so...

7. iBeast macrumors member

You should read teh dev docs if you want to know how it works....

Basically the notification message (in red bubble with numbers) can only be 1 Kilobyte in length. It's simple a notification. Nothing more. When one opens the app you still have to fetch the rest of the message.

This is not a novel concept. Others have gotten it working.

8. coolb0yalex macrumors member

PUSH IS NECESSARY TO GET NOTIFICATIONS THAT YOU GET AN INSTANT MESSAGE JUST LIKE A TEXT MESSAGE. without it, basic functions like IM found on 3 year old phones would be better in this field than the most expensive phone i've ever bought...

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

The rule against background apps is not just about battery life. It's about security and most of all reliability. Apps running in the background written by everyday normal people, those aren't going to be solid. They are going to crash, lock up, eat up memory, etc. They are one of the big reasons Windows Mobile is seen as buggy - it's not really WM, but the third party apps they don't control. Now, the iPhone already has apps that crash to the home screen a lot due to the system running out of memory, imagine if you had 10 additional programs running in the background eating up memory, some of which you don't realize are running in the background. The system only has 128MB RAM.

10. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

...and I think if you're going to write such a smart ass comment, you should be more informative.

Battery life: Warn the user.
    Reliability: Keep app store process the same. If Apple reviews the application, they find any insecure apps etc.

I get that Apple want to create something that the user doesn't have to muck about with, but for some reason that seems to mean 'no choice'. I've been an Apple buyer for a long time now, but the 'reality distortion field' is beginning to fail.

And besides, push notifications would be fine if they actually implemented this feature or told us why it's not implimented yet (since it's late. We didn't set the deadline, Apple did).

As for jailbreaking, no thanks. Been there, done that. I have an unlocked iPhone but there's no way i'll be installing crap on it from Installer/Cydia based on my first experience with it. I'm sure the devs on there are good at what they do, I just had a bad experience and won't be going back there.

11. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Good points. I'm running into RAM limitations on my jailbroken phone with Backgrounder. My streaming audio programs quickly run out of memory if I try to do too much multi-tasking.

I can just imagine all the whining if Apple did implement background processes. My battery runs out too quickly...waah! My phone is too buggy...waah! The complaints are out of control as it is.

12. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

13. iblastoff macrumors 6502

i thought backgrounder was going to make me change the way i use the iphone but yes, the iphone just seems way too underpowered to handle more than one app at once. any streaming audio app i want to leave running in the background CONSTANTLY runs into some memory issue where it just shuts down while i'm in another app (ie. browsing the facebook app). annoying.

14. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

No official announcements, no updates, no news. I think they did skip it.

15. room237 macrumors 6502

Thank you for that profound contribution. You obviously know more than any of us on this subject.

If everyone knew everything that there was to know about every single subject that they commented on, there wouldn't be a need for forums.

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Better to sort it out then release, or just put on hold for a while/scale the concept down to something doable- they've learnt their lesson to an extent from MobileMe - MobileMe only affected a minority of iPhone users, rather than a majority, if they added push to an update, and the patch became a crashing, battery eating update.

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

This topic has already been beaten to death like many other topics that continue to re-appear on this blog. To respond to these topics is to support lazy fools that cannot search.

18. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hell, I think if we say how much we don't want it then it might finally come.

This might be the same thing we have to do in order to get copy & paste, just everyone say there is no need for it and Apple will then invent it! :)

19. markgamber macrumors 6502

You still manage to respond in all these threads. Oh sure, you make certain to express your contempt and disgust with your snappy throw-away messages wondering how all of us can be so f**king stupid, but you still respond. You don't need to, you know. No one is going to miss it.

20. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Alright calm down buddy, no need to kick the dog for this.

This blog is quite amusing during slow days in life, and your over-zealous response is adding to my enjoyment.

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I think you are misunderstanding what 'Push Notification' entails. The demand on the servers could never hope to get anywhere near a mail server with images and more content.

These are simply single kb nodes that are sent to a server and sent down to your iPhone. A heavy user would get 20 of these per minute.

The 'Push Notification' can be sound - badge - text and will dramatically enhance Apps we already use on our iPhones today. Without this functionality I would delete BeeJive and AIM from my springboard.

22. 226896 Guest

I'm going to ignore the argument going on here and agree with the OP. Background processes would be really good, as battery life isn't really an issue with me. Push has been pretty bad so far with me anyway. My Yahoo! Mail account rarely pushes e-mail to me even I've set the phone to push, I don't think the App Store has once pushed an update notification to me (I've had to open App Store to get a notification), so I don't see why this new service would be any different.

23. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Think about it maybe is not the functionality itself speaking. Can you imagine millions of iphones ACCESSING apple servers. you heard right that APPLE SERVERS! the same as .mac mail! mobile me services! that ones that fail on a regular basis on the news, and they aren't requests from millions of phones are made in seconds.

In fact the code that you place onto your iphone app will be passed to the server and this will connect to the service requested. so, this solution scales to a population more than 10 million that implies the server may handle 10 millions of alerts and 10 millions*num of services requests.