I think AT&T I screwing me!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JJozwiak, Jun 18, 2011.

1. JJozwiak macrumors newbie

So I am an original iPhone owner. I have owned every model to date, I have never had a problem with the phones and love using them, until now. I told you I am an original owner because I have come to the conclusion that AT&T is deliberately slowing down my 3G connectivity! I know it might sound as a conspiracy Theory but I have been doing this experiment for 4 months now. I am what AT&T would call a heavy data user I work security and use my iPhone to keep myself entertained during long shifts with Netflix and YouTube basically watching videos all day. Well my phone works great for the first part of the month but usually around the 15th my phone just slows down to the point where it won't load a simple email, or load the Facebook app. Now because of the handy feature of being able to acquire my data usage info from AT&T via text I have noticed every time my phone slows to a halt is when I break the 2 gigabyte barrier. The 2Gig barrier doesn't mean much to me because I am still grandfathered in as a unlimited data user. So I am thinking that because it is free for me that AT&T is slowing my connection down on purpose. Have any other of u unlimited data folks experienced this or am I going crazy? Also do you guys thinks that AT&T would even have the ability to do this?

2. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Hang on, let me check this out. (begins folding tin foil into hat).

Seriously though, I haven't noticed the same degree of slowdown, but mine just seems slow all the time. I wouldn't be shocked- in fact I wouldn't even be surprised to learn that they are in fact doing this kind of thing.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Interesting, I wouldn't put it past ATT either. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else has the same results.

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Does AT&T operate a Fair Usage Policy on their old unlimited plans?

I can only speak for the UK, but it's very difficult to find unlimited plans that are actually unlimited. Wouldn't be surprised if AT&T operated something similar?

5. flipster macrumors 6502a

Get off that crappy network and go to Verizon for unlimited data for $30 a month

JK, I doubt their doing that. It's probably just the network

6. JJozwiak thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not exactly sure what there policy towards the old and faithful customers that still carry unlimited is but I started noticing this about 5 months ago and started checking on it about 4 months ago every month it's the same thing. It's not always on the 15th but always right after I break the 2 gig mark!

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You could be imagining it or they could be manipulating the traffic. For example, my broadband is truly unlimited, but once I download 4GB between 4pm and 10pm it slows down to 2.5Mbps. However, they are very open about this. You should check your terms and conditions thoroughly.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I was about to suggest switching to T-Mobile, which still sells unlimited data plans, but, ...

9. JJozwiak thread starter macrumors newbie

Is only pay 25 for unlimited, that is if it is truly unlimited!

10. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

Sounds fishy.

You could do a simple test, borrow a friends sim on at&t, when you network slows try changing the sim card and see if there is a difference. (do a speed test, before and after) if it dramatically improved, sale your story to the papers!

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be suprised if AT&T is doing this. They say I tethered with my unlimited data plan, although I have had my iphone OS so old that tethering is impossible!

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might be just in your head or you local connection has issues.
    If it has been going on for that long Im sure many of its millions of users would have noticed the same and AT&T would get smacked down with a huge lawsuit.

13. JJozwiak thread starter macrumors newbie

@Smoge
    I like the theory! Now to just find someone else that has an iPhone 4 with the micro sim, and is willing to go along with this experiment!