Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eeko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Last year I got a defective phone and had to return it before the refund period expired. Refunding it also reset the contract signing and it wasn't until early October that I could find another one in stock. Long story short, this year I'm not eligible till October 13th.

I called ATT and they made a note on my account that would allow me to upgrade right away.

Today I was told in store that they would not be selling iPhone 5S to early upgraders, but to only people that were eligible for the 199 price tag. She said this was corporate wide.

Afterwards, I called another local store and they told me this wasn't true and that it would be okay. I'm not sure if I should wait around all night just to be denied or for them to only have the grey. Should I just call back tomorrow and place an order on the phone?

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I'd just wait a few weeks for things to figure themselves out before getting the 5s.

Not worth the stress and hassle.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Place an order on the phone. It's up to the manager of the store to grant the early upgrade. Best way is to just buy it over the phone.

U4icLab

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
SoCal
Last year I got a defective phone and had to return it before the refund period expired. Refunding it also reset the contract signing and it wasn't until early October that I could find another one in stock. Long story short, this year I'm not eligible till October 13th.

I called ATT and they made a note on my account that would allow me to upgrade right away.

Today I was told in store that they would not be selling iPhone 5S to early upgraders, but to only people that were eligible for the 199 price tag. She said this was corporate wide.

Afterwards, I called another local store and they told me this wasn't true and that it would be okay. I'm not sure if I should wait around all night just to be denied or for them to only have the grey. Should I just call back tomorrow and place an order on the phone?

Hey! I have a similar situation. I popped into a local ATT store this morning and had them verify the notes in my account and "pretend" to process it for my upgrade override. I'm good to go. Unfortunately I think there exist huge inconsistencies from store to store and store vs. phone/chat. Pain in the butt.

Eeko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I think I know what I should do. I know of an ATT inside of a mall not far from me. There is no designated area to line up at. I'm thinking of going up there at 7AM when they allow the old folks to walk around. I figure that waiting a couple of hours instead of potentially wasting the whole night is a better idea. If I still don't have any luck, I'll just order it over the phone in gold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.