I think Crashplan is bogging down my Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GanChan, Jan 20, 2015.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

Ever since I installed Crashplan, I've had to deal with on-and-off extreme sluggishness from my 2013 Mac Mini. I have it set to run its backup operations overnight (11:30pm to 6:00am), but I'm noticing the problem during the day. I must have some preference wrong or something. I thought maybe it's trying to run during the day because the hard drive is falling asleep at night, or maybe there's an "always-on" backup function that I need to modify somehow....

Can any Crashplan user out there help me troubleshoot this issue? Thanks!

2. Enzo macrumors member

I haven't had any problems with OSX but I had the exact same problem in windows. The problem started a few months ago and app would take ~20% of the CPU at all times. I tried to reinstall the program a few times but that did not resolve the problem. I eventually uninstalled the program on win7.

3. jmbaker macrumors newbie

Have you checked Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) to verify that it's CrashPlan consuming too much CPU? What version of OS X? I've been using CrashPlan on several computers and have it installed for clients and I've never even noticed it taking up any resources, but let's try to figure out what's going on for you.

4. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Same exact thing here with a rMBP '14. CrashPlan doesn't show that it's using any CPU but ever since I installed it and started using it, as you stated my mac seems bogged down. Bouncing apps and hanging windows in Safari. I would understand if I was running a backup, but it's not. It's using 0.0% CPU and 17.4mb of memory.