Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Its just one thing after another...

My mac is now permanently on mute, when my external speakers are plugged in and without (ie built in speakers). There is no red light coming from the port and my speakers are working.

There is no dust or anything blocking the port, and I have tried quickly plugging and unplugging the speakers to see if it would fix itself.

This has happened soon after I reset the SMC (to try and overcome a different problem)

My current problems now include:

*Unable to start the internet based AHT using opt + D on start up - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452961/

*Random message that suddenly appears and disappears - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1451500/

*Extremely slow, rainbow wheel, kicking me out of apps (more often with iPhoto and iTunes) - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452075/

*Icons in the dock bounce for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages before working

*I think I am having a problem with my google chrome too, console will report this every few seconds: {Google Chrome Helper[376]: Unsure about the internals of CFAllocator but going to patch them anyway. If there is a crash inside of CFAllocatorAllocate, please report it at http://crbug.com/117476 . If there is a crash and it is NOT inside of CFAllocatorAllocate, it is NOT RELATED. DO NOT REPORT IT THERE but rather FILE A NEW BUG.}

... and now my speakers are permanently muted.

Obviously, I am close to throwing this Macbook at the wall - so if anyone has any ideas if these are symptoms to a single problem and have suggestions, I would be grateful.

I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13" OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Phone Apple.

You say you've been having at least one of these problems since you received your MacBook in September 2011. Why didn't you get Apple to look at it then?

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Perform a clean install of OS X.

I did that 2 days ago :(

----------

Phone Apple.

You say you've been having at least one of these problems since you received your MacBook in September 2011. Why didn't you get Apple to look at it then?

No, My mac has only been this bad for a few weeks.

I have the speakers are fixed now so I am going to phone Apple. I just can't really do without it as I take it to University, work etc but I'm going to have to, even if it ends up being expensive to fix.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
AppleCare should include a quick loaner 4r people who depends on their machine this much.

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
A clean install or a restoring a clone? Do you have any data on the computer that must be saved?

Booted from recovery partition and reinstalled OS X

I store all my documents online just incase of something like this happening but I do have about 4000 songs and some photos from travelling on here - I backed it up before I did it but they didn't disappear.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Apple isn't going to charge you to take a look at it. You might still be covered under warranty. I used to work at an AASP and we would occasionally repair something under warranty even though it had expired a week or two prior.

Anyway, all of your issues really sound like software problems. After you reinstalled did you restore your user account from a backup?

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Apple isn't going to charge you to take a look at it. You might still be covered under warranty. I used to work at an AASP and we would occasionally repair something under warranty even though it had expired a week or two prior.

Anyway, all of your issues really sound like software problems. After you reinstalled did you restore your user account from a backup?

Yes. I'm going to ring apple first thing and hopefully drop it off tomorrow.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011

I store all my documents online just incase of something like this happening but I do have about 4000 songs and some photos from travelling on here - I backed it up before I did it but they didn't disappear.

Alright, I was going to suggest accessing the recovery partition if you had not done so already. In any case take it in as you intend, certainly something is wrong if your applications are hanging and you are getting constant beachballs - given that you've assessed Activity Monitor first and also reinstalled OS X.

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Alright, I was going to suggest accessing the recovery partition if you had not done so already. In any case take it in as you intend, certainly something is wrong if your applications are hanging and you are getting constant beachballs - given that you've assessed Activity Monitor first and also reinstalled OS X.

Yes I've done all of those - and have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon at the genius bar - thank you for your help anyway :) I'm no longer seeing red...

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hello. Just thought I would all update you. Just leaving the apple store now and they're taken it away for a week (waaaah). I had problems with the logic board, hard drive and hard drive cable so hopefully ill be laughing when I get it back. Thank you for all your help - I'm now on Te way to the stationary shop to get some old fashioned pen and paper!

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Hello. Just thought I would all update you. Just leaving the apple store now and they're taken it away for a week (waaaah). I had problems with the logic board, hard drive and hard drive cable so hopefully ill be laughing when I get it back. Thank you for all your help - I'm now on Te way to the stationary shop to get some old fashioned pen and paper!

Good luck.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Sorry to 1-up you, but I've been through 3 2010 27" iMacs (ended up with refund), 2 iPhone 4, 2 iPhone 4S, 3 iPod Touch 4th gen, 6 iPad 3rd gens (ended up with refund), and am now currently awaiting my 6th Retina MacBook Pro replacement, as well as my 2nd iPhone 5 (yay for damage out of the box).

So no, you are not the most unhappy Apple customer ;):D

kathyathy11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Sorry to 1-up you, but I've been through 3 2010 27" iMacs (ended up with refund), 2 iPhone 4, 2 iPhone 4S, 3 iPod Touch 4th gen, 6 iPad 3rd gens (ended up with refund), and am now currently awaiting my 6th Retina MacBook Pro replacement, as well as my 2nd iPhone 5 (yay for damage out of the box).

So no, you are not the most unhappy Apple customer ;):D

Hahaha ok ill let you off on that one. I hope having the title of "Apple's most unhappy customer" makes you feel slightly better :)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

So you just reinstalled OS X from the recovery partition? Did you format the hard drive?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Clearly I am too late to the party. I should start reading the rest of the thread before replying.

haha if the thread is multiple pages long I have done that but if you want to cheat, just scroll to the posts made by the OP. That often gives clarity on what has already happened. ;) Forum Cheats 101.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
haha if the thread is multiple pages long I have done that but if you want to cheat, just scroll to the posts made by the OP. That often gives clarity on what has already happened. ;) Forum Cheats 101.

My only excuse is laziness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.