I think I broke my keyboard. Can I save it?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aComicBookFan, Mar 1, 2012.

1. aComicBookFan macrumors member

The standard keyboard that came with my G5 no longer works. I cleaned it with Windex and it was the 1st and only cleaning it has gotten in seven years. Some of the Windex ran down inside the keyboard and got inside the flexible circuit board under the rubber contacts. I opened everything up and wiped off all the new found dirt and a few drops of Windex that never dried. Some of the silver contacts were corroded and they were black.

I put everything back together and some of the keys now work. The USB ports on the keyboard always worked. Is there anything I can do to get more keys working? Or, is this generally a lost cause? Has anyone else been through something like this?

-=- Boris

2. Chris230291 macrumors member

I would try cleaning everything internally with an alcohol based cleaning product. Then double check all connections to make sure nothing is loose or broken.

If it still doesn't work after that, the only thing i can suggest is to give it time to dry out. You might have made a short with the windex someplace. It could already be too late now though man.

Always use an alcohol based cleaning product on electronics. White sprit or some other from of thinner would have been better than what you used, though could melt/damage softer materials.