I think I broke something...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airattack111, Aug 23, 2010.

1. airattack111 macrumors member

I downloaded the "yasu" mac cleaning software, ran a sweep on the mac, then restarted. It basically clears local and web cache, and some other stuff. Well now I can;t play stagecraft 2 (like it ran good anyway), and get get on steam (like it ran good anyway). When trying to login to steam it prompts me that steam needs to self-update before launching. So I enter my name / password and nothing happens. I try to open vuze, a torrent program, doesn't even open. Safari works.

What did I do? It seems it's not reading the admin permissions correctly.

Edit: Itunes won't open either :(

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Re-install the OS.

3. EmeraldICE macrumors member

That program probably cleared out files it wasn't supposed to. You could try uninstalling the programs and reinstalling them.
    Once you get this fixed, don't use any more "cleaners". Coming from Windows, this was a huge thing I had to get used to. Mac does it's own maintenance, and the only other program I trust is Onyx.

4. ccashman92 macrumors regular

CleanMyMac, TechTool, and Cocktail are safe, I use those.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I believe Yasu totally screwed my system also, I had to restore from a backup (always have backups). Just try to reinstall the applications if you have the time. Otherwise as mentioned above stick with onyx and stuff.

6. EmeraldICE macrumors member

+1 for Cocktail. Haven't used the other ones you named.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

CleanMyMac and Onyx are great programs :]
    Does it's thang and moves on lol.

8. airattack111 thread starter macrumors member

K after reading reviews for this cleaning program only 1 was good, and it looked like a plug straight from the company that made it.

After finding my snow leopard disk, my macbook will not startup now... It will white screen like normal on startup, load the grey apple, then have the loading wheel under it, and it will just load forever never bringing me to a login screen. Also windows 7 on my second partition won't load up either, only in safe mode.

I do need to get some pictures and passwords off the computer if possible, any way to do this? I read on apple.com how to boot in safe mode for osx but I need to be able to at least get to the login screen first.

9. airattack111 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I booted from the snow leopard disk. Went to disk utility, says 285/285gb of hd space has been used on my pac partition, and 32/32gb (which is probably normal lol) has been used on windows.

Why does it think my hard drive is full? I should have 182gb of free storage. I'm going to try the "repair disk" option and see what happens..