Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I have a 9.7 Pro now and I'm experimenting with making it my main computer when traveling, so I took it on a trip and left my Air behind. If the experiment works, then I'll move up to the 10.5.

So far, its working. In the past, I never really tried that hard and always brought my Air along and it became the default. The reason? I never had been really comfortable with using multitouch, and did not give it enough time.

Now, that I've forced myself to become comfortable with it, I'm learning the subtle differences of each kind of activity. I'm finding that once I got passed the initial frustrations, it can actually work for me. Also, using the pencil in situations where granutlarity needed is a big help.

I've also read that iOS 11 will give new abilities to anticipate what you are trying to do and will make the iPad multitouch experience even better.

So far, it's looking good that I can make the leap.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
yup, it's my only 'go-to' as well. handles all my comms, diarys, online schedules, wireless printing etc etc etc.
The game changer for me was the 12.9 inch screen size with Pencil. In my case the Pencil is a very very good mouse substitute. Without this i wouldnt have the Pro as my main hub.

Reactions: AppleRobert

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
The 12.9 has been my main "laptop" since the original on launch day. The logitech create keyboard (and now the new logitech version 2 of the same keyboard) is a must accessory for me.

jeffffeith

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2017
New York
My iPad Pro 12.9" has become my main computer as well as my drawing pad. I keep all of my work on it (reports, meeting notes, etc.), use it for email and online research, have replaced Photoshop with Pixelmator and do all my illustrations in Pixelmator as well (I also use and enjoy Sketchbook Pro and Procreate). Adobe Comp has replaced InDesign for advertising layouts, Google has replaced Microsoft Office - Outlook, Word, Excel, PP - although I know several people simply use Microsoft Office for iOS. Apple's Notes and Reminders keep things organized. iBooks has about 30 Stephen King novels on it. Notability lets me mark up PDFs without having to carry around paper and Wordpress lets me blog. I also have a scanning app called Tiny Scanner that works great. I decided on these apps after downloading many others and encourage everyone to figure out which ones they prefer - which ones will help them be the most productive and efficient. I print wirelessly to one of the air enabled printers in the office. My laptop has been closed and turned off for nearly a year. Everything is saved to iCloud every day, automatically. I've never been more productive. It's great going mobile!

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
The game changer for me was the 12.9 inch screen size with Pencil. In my case the Pencil is a very very good mouse substitute. Without this i wouldnt have the Pro as my main hub.
Can you please elaborate? I've finally ordered the Pencil after almost a year with the 12.9 and I'm keen to learn what other users are doing.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm ready to pounce on the new one but if you had to copy text from one window to another about a hundred times a day (for work) would an iPad really cut it? If mice were supported, it'd be a no-brainer but I'm not sure how it'll work out for me.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I'm ready to pounce on the new one but if you had to copy text from one window to another about a hundred times a day (for work) would an iPad really cut it? If mice were supported, it'd be a no-brainer but I'm not sure how it'll work out for me.

Uh oh, you mentioned a mouse. Some people get all in a knot over the very idea. It would be perfect for the iPad though. It will happen at some point. And when it does, the naysayers will suddenly go silent. LOL.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
It can’t replace my Mac for certain tasks, but the iPad is by far my favorite and most used ”everyday computer” and has been for quite a few years now. I think it’s more than enough for most tasks. Today I edited a huge 42MP RAW file in Affinity photo. This was a Sony A7rii RAW file that many users complain tax their laptops and desktops, and the new iPad Pro handled everything like a champ!

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I have a 9.7 Pro now and I'm experimenting with making it my main computer when traveling, so I took it on a trip and left my Air behind. If the experiment works, then I'll move up to the 10.5.

So far, its working. In the past, I never really tried that hard and always brought my Air along and it became the default. The reason? I never had been really comfortable with using multitouch, and did not give it enough time.

Now, that I've forced myself to become comfortable with it, I'm learning the subtle differences of each kind of activity. I'm finding that once I got passed the initial frustrations, it can actually work for me. Also, using the pencil in situations where granutlarity needed is a big help.

I've also read that iOS 11 will give new abilities to anticipate what you are trying to do and will make the iPad multitouch experience even better.

He he he. Someone wants to justify an expensive new toy. I know the thought process. :)

If the experiment is successful with a 9.7 pro why would you immediately need the 10.5?

Reactions: ericwn

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I never thought my 12.9 iPP would replace my rMBP until now BUT I am not going to replace it completely because I will need rMBP for heavy video editing as I am preparing for this weekend. :)

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Uh oh, you mentioned a mouse. Some people get all in a knot over the very idea. It would be perfect for the iPad though. It will happen at some point. And when it does, the naysayers will suddenly go silent. LOL.

I so wish iPads could use a mouse, it would go a long ways towards making it a computer replacement. iOS 11 is already a huge step, but something like mouse support would make the iPad a productivity beast.

Reactions: seadragon

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I so wish iPads could use a mouse, it would go a long ways towards making it a computer replacement. iOS 11 is already a huge step, but something like mouse support would make the iPad a productivity beast.

For the longest time I really felt the same way, however, I'm finding that the Pencil makes a pretty good pointer for the detail work, plus I'm really looking forward to the upcoming changes in mulitouch in iOS 11.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
For the longest time I really felt the same way, however, I'm finding that the Pencil makes a pretty good pointer for the detail work, plus I'm really looking forward to the upcoming changes in mulitouch in iOS 11.

Where I REALLY miss a mouse the most is when using the ASK. The constant reaching up to touch the screen is an annoyance that could be so easily remedied.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Why not both?

Good point. I think the reason is that iOS is all about simplicity. The other aspect is that if what is essentially a desktop environment is unleashed to developers, then the evolution of apps moves gradually towards the Windows 10 monstrosity. Keeping the all touch environment as the core ensures the evolution towards the focus on a mobile/touch based system.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands

I think "main" computer for me might be impossible, the iPad simply doesn't offer the services that I require on my main system. That said, I can totally imagine the day where the iPad with a bigger screen and the apps that I use daily, can be my daily driver, while a 'server' like system does the rest that I do on iMac right now.

One inconvenience the iPad has over actual daily usage is simply throwing third party devices to it. Just adding resources, content, media, etc to it requires switching dongles and buying them in the first place. While on the iMac I can still have access to thunderbolt/usb-c and usb3 and usb2 .. has a card reader, and gigabit internet alongside wifi on ac. My point with this is that it has multiple inputs and outpost I can use at the same time. While time machine is backing up, I can import and backup the content we are getting. cut things apart and stuff in lightroom and premiere, while updatig projects, etc. The workflow just cant be matched. The iPad is a one or two things at a time thing. And if you're importing over a dongle, THAT is the action you're doing. -- you can't really click away (unless you're lucky that the app supports it properly) when importing 20gb 4k clips, etc. Multi track audio recording, the iPad is a great tool in between the devices, and the end-point computer, but you have to invest quite a bit of money for something that supports the latest iPad with hardware that lets you input multiple mics, instruments, etc and all that. It's just easier to just a much cheaper dac solution over a really fast usb directly into the mac with something like logic pro.

Not to mention daemons, services, etc like mail servers, dns services, game servers, etc. Or virtualization for testing network stuff, apps, development and various sandbox stuff for research and projects.

It's getting close as a daily driver, but I just can't justify having to buy a big pro along side an iMac that does it all already, and more affordable, comfortable (meaning the multi tasking stuff etc) while running stuff in the background 24/7

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Good point. I think the reason is that iOS is all about simplicity. The other aspect is that if what is essentially a desktop environment is unleashed to developers, then the evolution of apps moves gradually towards the Windows 10 monstrosity. Keeping the all touch environment as the core ensures the evolution towards the focus on a mobile/touch based system.

Thing is, mouse support already works in the simulator. It's not like it would be difficult to implement. Citrix even sell a mouse that works with ICA client.

I know why Apple refused to add mouse support for ages. To build a touch App Store.

But like the mac with its original lack of keyboard shortcuts in order to force mouse adoption, the time has come to move forward. The ecosystem is now well established.

With the pencil not being supplied with every iPad, there is already market fragmentation with some apps pretty useless without it.

And that's fine. Not every app needs to work in every situation and on every device. W e have critical mass already, the platform is healthy.

As an aside: I'm about to go to work (remote site) without a computer for the first time as a network admin.

iPad Pro 10.5, Smart Keyboard, pencil and an AirConsole. I'm doing a major campus network switching equipment refresh this evening.

I don't anticipate any issues.

If I do run into any there will be someone else's machine available so I won't be screwed. But I won't need it.

I'd say that so far the iPad HAS been my main computer at least if you measure by time using it. Sure there is stuff it can't do that I need my mac or pc for. But it's the exception rather than the rule.

#realWork

Last edited:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Like the pencil...and the file system...and 12.9" pro is too big

Reactions: seadragon

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 12.9 has been my main "laptop" since the original on launch day. The logitech create keyboard (and now the new logitech version 2 of the same keyboard) is a must accessory for me.

Logitech makes a nice product. Their lighted Keyboard makes it very tempting Over Apple's Smart Keyboard.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I feel bad for the people forcing the iPad pro to be a bootleg computer...there are just too many workarounds to use it as a so-called main computer.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I think "main" computer for me might be impossible, the iPad simply doesn't offer the services that I require on my main system. That said, I can totally imagine the day where the iPad with a bigger screen and the apps that I use daily, can be my daily driver, while a 'server' like system does the rest that I do on iMac right now.

One inconvenience the iPad has over actual daily usage is simply throwing third party devices to it. Just adding resources, content, media, etc to it requires switching dongles and buying them in the first place. While on the iMac I can still have access to thunderbolt/usb-c and usb3 and usb2 .. has a card reader, and gigabit internet alongside wifi on ac. My point with this is that it has multiple inputs and outpost I can use at the same time. While time machine is backing up, I can import and backup the content we are getting. cut things apart and stuff in lightroom and premiere, while updatig projects, etc. The workflow just cant be matched. The iPad is a one or two things at a time thing. And if you're importing over a dongle, THAT is the action you're doing. -- you can't really click away (unless you're lucky that the app supports it properly) when importing 20gb 4k clips, etc. Multi track audio recording, the iPad is a great tool in between the devices, and the end-point computer, but you have to invest quite a bit of money for something that supports the latest iPad with hardware that lets you input multiple mics, instruments, etc and all that. It's just easier to just a much cheaper dac solution over a really fast usb directly into the mac with something like logic pro.

Not to mention daemons, services, etc like mail servers, dns services, game servers, etc. Or virtualization for testing network stuff, apps, development and various sandbox stuff for research and projects.

It's getting close as a daily driver, but I just can't justify having to buy a big pro along side an iMac that does it all already, and more affordable, comfortable (meaning the multi tasking stuff etc) while running stuff in the background 24/7

To clarify, I would not attempt this over than the fact I am highly mobile and the iPad 10.5 is the most compact and light device out there. When mobility is your main priority, there will always be tradeoffs in work flow. However, from what I'm experiencing so far, the iPad Pro has the fewest compromises to my workflow (mainly business) yet by far the most portable footprint of any device out there.

I don't work with external media (I keep everything accessible on the clould) so those aspects are not even a concern for me. So far, I can handle all my work without third party devices.
[doublepost=1499149026][/doublepost]
Thing is, mouse support already works in the simulator. It's not like it would be difficult to implement. Citrix even sell a mouse that works with ICA client.

I know why Apple refused to add mouse support for ages. To build a touch App Store.

But like the mac with its original lack of keyboard shortcuts in order to force mouse adoption, the time has come to move forward. The ecosystem is now well established.

With the pencil not being supplied with every iPad, there is already market fragmentation with some apps pretty useless without it.

And that's fine. Not every app needs to work in every situation and on every device. W e have critical mass already, the platform is healthy.

As an aside: I'm about to go to work (remote site) without a computer for the first time as a network admin.

iPad Pro 10.5, Smart Keyboard, pencil and an AirConsole. I'm doing a major campus network switching equipment refresh this evening.

I don't anticipate any issues.

If I do run into any there will be someone else's machine available so I won't be screwed. But I won't need it.

I'd say that so far the iPad HAS been my main computer at least if you measure by time using it. Sure there is stuff it can't do that I need my mac or pc for. But it's the exception rather than the rule.

#realWork

Very interesting! Let us know how it goes!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.