i think i deleted my iphotos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008.

1. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

What steps did you do when you tried to make a copy?

As long as you haven't emptied your Trash, they're probably still somewhere on your computer.

If you tell us what you did, that might help us figure out what went wrong.

4. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008

pleasehelp! thread starter macrumors member

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Closed out iphoto? I don't understand what you mean. Does that mean you quit the iPhoto program?

Again, I don't understand what you mean.

6. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Now describe what you meant in your step number two. Be very descriptive, it's better to give too much information rather than too little.

8. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008

9. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008

10. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Hi --
    It's still unclear what you've done and what you're seeing now. The original Apple support link you showed is instructions for moving the LIBRARY, not for moving the application (or an alias -- what you're calling "shortcut," I think), and has nothing to do with COPYING the library. (and DON'T do that with finder -- after your problem is solved, I'll tell you how to do that)

1. Are you using Leopard?
    2. When you say you've "found" your photos, do you mean in Finder, or they're now appearing in iPhoto?

Leopard comes with a pre-made "Smart Folder" on left of finder window for "all images." So you should be able to see them there. But do you now see them in iPhoto, but with duplicates and not in correct albums? Or just in finder?

If you go to the applications folder, is iphoto.app there? Try opening there and see if you see your photos. Otherwise, please explain exactly where you're seeing the "duplicates," and if it's in finder, don't delete anything!

11. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008

12. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Listen pleasehelp, you've got to work on using better english. I'm not talking about proper english that your teacher would like, I'm talking about using clear everyday language. Some of your sentence are really hard to decipher. I'd bet you don't even do a cursory proof read of what you wrote before you hastily smash that reply button.

I'm not saying this as an attack, I'm telling you this because you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Try writing with the reader in mind.

13. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Ok, I guess you don't use Time MAchine or another back-up? It sounds like something happened to your library.

DON'T copy and paste photos into iPhoto.

EITHER wait to try again to find the library (advice from me or someone else here) which would have your albums etc., OR you can start over IMPORTING the photos.

Two ways to import: 1) Select a bunch in finder and drag them to the iPhoto icon in the dock (bottom of screen). You should get a warning about duplicates, and tell it NOT to import duplicates.
    2) In iPhoto, select File-Import and you'd have to find where they are. (should still receive warning about duplicates, I think)

14. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008

15. jplan2008 macrumors regular

If you dragged them, that's o.k. It's just if you want to have your previous albums, it's best to try to locate your library. But if you start messing with it while waiting for responses, you'll corrupt it anyway, and you asked for help but didn't wait for answer.

I'm still not sure what you did initially. If it was your iPhoto LIBRARY you moved, try again: Quit iPhoto. Go to your library (now on desktop? Or still in pictures folder?) Change the name of the library (called iPhoto Library? Change it to iPhoto Library 2), but DON'T CHANGE ANY OF ITS CONTENTS. Then open iPhoto and it should give you an option for which library, and see if one of the choices you see is your old one.

(then report back on what happened)

16. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008

17. pleasehelp!, Jun 12, 2008

18. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Before you delete anything, let's see if we can find your original library.

1. Quit iPhoto. (by the way, in most applications on a mac, clicking the red button doesn't quit the application, it just closes the window, so you should get used to CMD-Q for quit)

2. In finder, go to your user name on left, then see if there's a pictures folder with iPhoto library beneath. Click on it, iPhoto SHOULD open -- see if it's the original library.

3. If that wasn't it, quit iPhoto again. Go to the library on your desktop and click on it -- iPhoto SHOULD open -- see if it's the original library.

IF one of those brings you to your original library with albums, etc., THEN you can delete the other one (two?) Otherwise, don't delete anything yet.

19. jplan2008 macrumors regular

AFTER you solve the problem with the library, by the way, this is what you wanted to do:

1a) When you mention the "shortcuts" at the "bottom" (the dock), are you talking about a folder? If you use iPhoto a lot, you can have it (or any application) always show in the dock, and not within a folder. When app. is running and showing in dock, hold down on the icon until you see some choices, and choose "keep in dock."

1b) If you really want the application to be on the desktop: in finder, go to applications and choose iPhoto.app. Click CMD-L (or, File-make alias) That will make an alias "shortcut" to the application. Move the alias to the desktop.

2a) If you want to make a back-up copy of your photos, the best way is to do it within iPhoto: file-export. You can do it by album, or all photos.

2b) If you want to make a backup of your entire iPhoto library, which saves albums, etc., you should copy the entire library onto an external drive (so you don't have the problem of finding the correct library, or 2 different libraries)

20. pleasehelp!, Jun 13, 2008

21. pleasehelp!, Jun 13, 2008

22. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Oh well.
    Delete the library on your desktop and keep the one that is in the proper place under your name-photos-iphoto library. Then import all photos again.

Then see instructions in my previous post for doing what I think you were trying to do to begin with.
    Also, while you're importing photos all over again, I'd suggest assigning keywords and ratings to photos -- will come in handy for searching and organizing later.
    Good luck

23. pleasehelp!, Jun 13, 2008