I think I figured it out - Touch, IPhone==>INewton. . .

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acrafton, Sep 29, 2007.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Ok, so I am trying to figure out a more rational reason for Apple closing the IPhone to further development (I am NOT talking about unlocking it!). I don't buy their reasons for "consistent user interface, etc. . ." as the sole reason. So, what if this is part of a logical product line rollout. . .leading to a Newton replacement (for lack of a better name - ITablet) that is fully extensible, comes with an SDK, and user apps are encouraged, etc. . .

So you have this line:
    1. Shuffle
    2. Classic
    3. Nano
    4. ITouch - video, some web, etc. but a closed video IPod
    5. IPhone - closed smart phone for the average user, with video IPod
    6. ITablet - open computing platform with an SDK, dev tools, and Apple encouraging development

One of the arguments against a new Newton/PDA is that "the IPhone is already the best PDA. . ." but that was said with the assumption that it could be extended with new apps. Without that (and Apple is telling us there will NEVER be user apps) it is just a really great phone.

I can see Steve announcing this at MW in Jan 08. . ."we listened to our customers who said that they wanted a portable computing device with touch screen and the ability to add user apps. We listened and here you have the ITablet".

2. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

They never "opened" it for real apps. Just for web apps and that is not closed.