I think I found a spyware? I don't know how to remove it though.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by limit321, Mar 26, 2011.

1. limit321 macrumors newbie

Recently I have installed a program, which apparently informs the users of the connection going in and out of your computer. I bought the program just to try it out, however later i found that it was starting to become a nuisance. I deleted the program, through another app called "app zapper." Lately I realize that a lot of system scanning advertising has started to pop up. I opened the activity monitor, and I found a daemon from the program that I have installed. Whenever I try to force quit the daemon and my isight would flash green once and then the daemon would disappear. How ever it would pop up again later with a different PID. here is an image of it.

Before:
    [​IMG]

Trying to force quit the daemon:
    [​IMG]

After force quitting:
    [​IMG]

Can someone help me solve this?

Thanks,

2. simsaladimbamba

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not spyware or malware. There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

AppZapper, AppCleaner, CleanApp, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
    AppZapper missed 13 items
    AppCleaner missed 11 items
    AppDelete missed 8 items
    Hazel missed 9 items​
    I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

Use the instructions in the link simsaladimbamba posted to fully remove apps.

4. limit321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much! I managed to get rid of the daemon. There were at least 40 system files. Now i got rid of them all.