Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
About a week ago I ordered a replacement battery off Goodwill's website taking a bit of a gamble. The battery was in an original box. It cost $10 + ~$14 shipping (rape) via UPS.

I received the battery today. Not a smudge or scratch on the battery casing. the date is 2002. I popped it in and it had zero charge. I charged it up, it's estimating about 3.75 hours at full charge, "better battery preformance", screen 1/2 brightnes, using TenFourFox. In the System Profiler it says it's cycle count is 0. I did a little research and it appears the cycle count is saved in the battery, therefore would be consistent no matter what computer its in.

When I bid for the battery there was a 2nd one available that no one bought. I had seen these guys advertised in the past so I suspect it'll pop up again. If anyone is need of a TiBook replacement battery, shopgoodwill.com might not be a bad place to keep an eye out.

$24, not a bad deal.

Attachments

• 59444826103429od.JPG
    59444826103429od.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15 KB · Views: 188

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Great find!

Not to rain on your parade, but have you discharged it yet? I've found that sometimes old batteries that register "good" will have one or more dead cells that keep it from lasting its full life.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Great find!

Not to rain on your parade, but have you discharged it yet? I've found that sometimes old batteries that register "good" will have one or more dead cells that keep it from lasting its full life.

Aww, don't rain on my parade.

We'll see. I'm working on that presently. Wish me luck.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I do really hope it works(it would make my evening after just watching Duke win the National Championship :( ). If It does, I'll certainly keep an eye out there. Good Ti batteries, whether original or aftermarket, are tough to find.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I do really hope it works(it would make my evening after just watching Duke win the National Championship :( ). If It does, I'll certainly keep an eye out there. Good Ti batteries, whether original or aftermarket, are tough to find.

That was a crushing loss... It was going good at the ½, and went downward from there. Anyway, nice find OP. I wish I could find a battery for my PowerBook G3 Wallstreet.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
That was a crushing loss... It was going good at the ½, and went downward from there. Anyway, nice find OP. I wish I could find a battery for my PowerBook G3 Wallstreet.

All I can offer is a healthy good luck. Even aftermarket batteries for those sell for $80+...more than the computer is worth! That's held me off buying one for my Pismo.

It's funny that Clamshell batteries(same age computer) are all over the place and cheap. I bought one for $20 or so. The first would only charge to 40%, but the replacement they sent me works perfectly.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

I bought two busted Wallstreets recently (not at the same time) to fix one I had with a broken screen. Both had minimal issues (loose power connectors preventing booting) so were easily fixed - one was virtually unused. Both had barely used original batteries, both of which give approx 3.5hrs on a full charge. I also bought a working Kanga earlier on, which also had its original battery and that is also still taking a full charge. I am amazed how well some of these original batteries are holding up. Things used to be built to last but you did have to pay plenty for them then.

The downside is I still have a working Wallstreet with a busted screen. I daren't buy any more 'for spares or repairs' for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.