I think I got a fake smart cover.

JayStarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I ordered a white Smart Cover on Ebay. On the back of the Smart Cover it says Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China in small black letters.. I don't care if it isn't an official smart cover, I am just curious if the real Smart Covers say that?

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
I ordered a white Smart Cover on Ebay. On the back of the Smart Cover it says Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China in small black letters.. I don't care if it isn't an official smart cover, I am just curious if the real Smart Covers say that?
My real one says that.

JayStarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012

What is the back supposed to be made out if? The front of mine is White, the back is grey. On the apple website the back looks fuzzy also and the back of mine isn't.

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Apparently Apple made a small change to the Smart Covers late last year. Basically the sensor in the new iPad is apparently polarity sensitive, whereas the iPad2 was not. This can cause some of the older Smart Covers to not work with the new device. Some people think this was done to reduce the likelihood of the smart cover turning off the device when folder behind the pad.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
Apple doesn't sell white smart covers. They sell a poly light grey and a leather cream but no white.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
The new Smart Covers (the one with the inner color now matching the outer color) has the writing in the same color as the cover.

(Green Smart Covert, Green inner microfiber and slightly darker green font)

tanboom

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
Both fake and original do the same:D

JayStarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Well, when my iPad 3 comes I'll test it. Praying it works! It was only 13$ but I just would like it to work instead of going through the trouble of returning it.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
Well, when my iPad 3 comes I'll test it. Praying it works! It was only 13$ but I just would like it to work instead of going through the trouble of returning it.
Yea it is a fake, you got in on the bay huh? For that price, and diff. Colors on each side it is fake.

roflc0pter

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
The new Smart Covers (the one with the inner color now matching the outer color) has the writing in the same color as the cover.

(Green Smart Covert, Green inner microfiber and slightly darker green font)
Do the newer smart covers have a serial number on the hinges?

That is how I checked if mines was legit. I made a THREAD about this a long time ago.

Should be a 17 digit number.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I personally would not get a SC from eBay due to a lot of counterfeit.
There are lots of counterfeits on Amazon too. They've wised up to American buyers--they price them very close to the retail prices of the actual genuine products to throw people off.

A few years ago, they'd go for 60-80% less than retail but now it's more like 10-20% less so more people are inclined to think they're genuine.

TheUrbanLegend

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
San Diego
Do the newer smart covers have a serial number on the hinges?

That is how I checked if mines was legit. I made a THREAD about this a long time ago.

Should be a 17 digit number.
Thanks for that info, I had bought a red smart cover on craigslist for $20 and wasn't sure if it was legit or not though it did work perfectly but just checked and it does have a serial number so got a legit one for pretty cheap. I think the guy had stolen them he was selling like 30 smart covers in different colors and you would get a discount if you bought multiple covers

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Cio

I bought an orange smart cover on eBay which they don't make anymore for some reason ... Works fine with my new iPad