I think I got an old rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jack9034, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Jack9034 macrumors member

Jack9034

Today I went to a local reseller and bought a rMBP. I cant open it yet as it is for Christmas but I looked up the serial number and the production week is Week 25. On the box it has a date that says 06/24/12/. That is from June. Seems rather old to me. On the brown box it has a sticker from the Airport that says it arrived in NZ on the 8th of November so why did it take so long? Does this mean it will come with Lion instead of Mountain Lion? And is it more likely to have IR? AH! I think I worry way to much... :/

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It should have the full 1 year warranty as long as you bought it at an authorized reseller. If you have issues with IR, just take it in and have it repaired.

Anyway, just open it up and find out!

3. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

Actually, the newer the mac, the more likely the screen will be LG, as there's rumors that Apple is quitting more and more of their work with Samsung. Sadly... Samsung excels at so many things, bad idea if Apple want to cut out all cooperation with them.

4. Jack9034 thread starter macrumors member

Jack9034

I just applied for the Up to date Mountain Lion program and got a code for it on the MAS. Does that mean my laptop definitly came with Lion? (I cant check because I cant open it up yet)

5. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Just open it. Who cares about the imaginary date later, check it now.

6. Jack9034, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

Jack9034 thread starter macrumors member

Jack9034

I dont understand why that computer was shipped here on the 8th November but it was manufactured in June. Why did they ship such an old computer?

7. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Quit all the worrying until you have the facts!

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't understand why you can't just open it. It could have been transferred from one warehouse to another. Who knows...and I really don't think it matters.

9. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

no true I got a week 46 november. got it on monday and was a samsung.

10. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Open it now and check the screen before your 14 day return period ends (that's if your return period isn't extended to January)! If it happens to be LG with minor IR than Apple will not replace the screen. Also, I don't think you want to find out your machine has other issues like cosmetic damages, dead pixels, yellowish/pinkish tints, and etc.

11. Jack9034 thread starter macrumors member

Jack9034

Does the 14 day return period apply if I bought it at a reseller. On my receipt it said they would not take refunds if you simply change your mind.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 14 day return period is only through Apple, and possibly not in your country anyway.

13. Jack9034 thread starter macrumors member

Jack9034

I will just see what it is in Christmas day and if it is bad then I will jst take it back and see what they say. Hopefully it is fine with no IR or anything else. :D I hate having to wait

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You bought your own present but won't open it for another month? I really think the element of surprise is gone. :eek:

15. trikky macrumors regular

You are subject to the reseller's return policies. As for the manufacturing date...it's irrelevant and not grounds to demand a return. Your purchase is brand new in box, and therefore covered under the Apple warranty.

If your computer is defective, it will be eligible for repair or replacement, subject to the terms of that warranty.

Enjoy your new computer.

16. Jack9034 thread starter macrumors member

Jack9034

It was a present from my parents (I paid for almost 90% of it). They don't know much about computers so I had to be there when they got it or I could end up with a 11 inch MBA.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Stop over analysing the hardware is the same regardless of the production week, if you need to upgrade to Mountain Lion it will be a no issue as the system is still clean. I upgraded from Lion on my own Retina with zero problems.

I really see no point for concern, given the nature of the product and your geographic location. Just upgrade to ML and enjoy your Mac as intended.

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Understood. This "gift" arrangement is impressive. You should be commended for easing your parents burden. I approve. :)

Other than perhaps the display, your rMBP has the same parts as if it were built today. I have an early 2011 MBP that was sitting on the shelf (or somewhere else) for 6 months. Many months later my wife and daughter got the same model. No difference (obviously).

Once you get yours up and going you'll forget about the dates.