Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KINGBEEZ36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Ok a month or so ago I traded a broke computer for a Mac IBook G3. He told me it worked fine and need a battery. Also that Macs don't turn on without a good battery in them. But as i read online today supposedly thats not true. So whos right/lying?? Also if you do need a battery can you hot wire it to run off just the charger??

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Any iBook will work 100% fine without a battery in the computer. You will get the X icon over the battery icon and may have trouble with some models keeping the clock time (if it's shut down and unplugged). Other than that, no problems at all.

I could see a bad battery preventing the iBook from turning on (possibly, though I've never seen that happen), but it would definitely turn on with the battery removed.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The original Macintosh Portable wouldn't turn on via AC if the battery was dead, but that was because it was a serial connection instead of a parallel one.

Other than that, you can use a Mac laptop without a battery, but why would you want to?

KINGBEEZ36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
So two yes's and a no. Back to square one. It doesn't turn on with the battery out either. All this computer needs to do is sit on a desk so not having a battery doesn't matter to me. It does have a battery but he said it was dead.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I don't see how trading a broken computer for a broken iBook G3 is getting ripped off. Deciding to get an iBook G3 in the first place is getting ripped off....

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
So two yes's and a no. Back to square one. It doesn't turn on with the battery out either. All this computer needs to do is sit on a desk so not having a battery doesn't matter to me. It does have a battery but he said it was dead.

Believe me, I've an iBook right here in front of me and I tried it. If there is no battery or the battery has no charge the iBook will not turn on. After the iBook has booted, and is plugged in to the AC, the battery can be removed.

(Technically, Tallest Skill said yes, so that would mean no ;))

KINGBEEZ36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Anyway to hot wire it to boot? All I want it for is a desktop. I have to other laptops and only need the ibook for that.

KINGBEEZ36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Hey is the charger suppose to light up??? I think my chargers shot. Smells funny to and doesn't show power on the volt meter.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
No, it will not turn on without a battery.

Believe me, I've an iBook right here in front of me and I tried it. If there is no battery or the battery has no charge the iBook will not turn on. After the iBook has booted, and is plugged in to the AC, the battery can be removed.

(Technically, Tallest Skill said yes, so that would mean no ;))

Sorry, but that's not correct. A properly functioning iBook will boot fine without a battery in the machine. I have a few iBooks and even pulled them out to test this. They boot just fine with the battery removed.

EDIT: I just re-read your post again. The OP is asking if the iBook should boot without a battery while plugged in. Did you mean that it won't boot with no battery and not plugged in? Of course it won't do that...

If it doesn't need hold a charge then whats wrong with the one I have??

Looks like you figured out the problem below:

Hey is the charger suppose to light up??? I think my chargers shot. Smells funny to and doesn't show power on the volt meter.

Yes, it should light up when plugged into the wall and iBook. Your dc-in jack/board could also be faulty (the place where the adapter plugs into the iBook).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.