I think I got the right GPU. Right?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Drewski, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Drewski macrumors regular

Hi all, short time lurker here, 30+ year PC (et al.) user. Finally pulled the plug on my boutique custom PC and ordered up an imac! After a few visits to the local apple store and a nice long chat with a helpful salesperson on the phone, I got the i5 2.7 with the 6770M/512MB GPU and that gorgeous 27" display. As far as I could tell from following as many GPU threads here as I could, it seems the upgrade is worth it for: gamers, lots of heavy video work, CAD/3D rendering.

The limit of our gaming is my 2 and 4 year old playing Angry Birds, our video work is mainly confined to prettying up the kids' videos from school and putting them on Youtube for overseas relatives to watch, and as far as 3D goes, well, does Google Sketchup count? Because I think that's about it. Other than that, we do the usual picture/mp3 management, office docs, surfing, Netflix, etc. I'd also like to take advantage of the goodies in iLife. But nothing too intense.

I'm confident we have plenty of computer for what we need, but I'd like to ask y'all, what else is the additional GPU juice good for? With the exception of resale and "future-proofing" :rolleyes: are there other applications that we'd see a benefit from the upgrade? Sure it was only $300 to upgrade to the i7/6970M, but hey, $300 can get me Applecare, one-to-one, and a couple of flash drives.

Looking forward to joining the ranks!

2. sth macrumors 6502a

The 6770M will be perfectly fine for you, don't worry.

3. Drewski thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - but that's why I bought what I did. However, what I was asking was what else requires the extra GPU muscle in the 6970M, other than games and pro video work.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Nothing else. The beefier GPU is there solely for gaming.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

What he said.

6. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

gpu will be fine, the extra beef is for complicated 3d games, not angry fick'in birds :)

7. sth macrumors 6502a

Not even "pro video work" requires the horsepower of the faster card. It's really just games.

3D modelling and CAD applications might benefit as well, but even for those, there won't be a night and day difference between the two cards.

8. dgr macrumors member

What if it's the HD version? :p;)

9. T'hain Esh Kelch, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  10. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Then may god help us all :O :apple: :rolleyes:

11. Drewski thread starter macrumors regular

:DCool. Glad to see the comments (and humor.) I'm really looking forward to the new iMac, inbound and due to arrive early next week. What remains to be seen is how well this old dog (ok, middle aged) can learn the new OS tricks. I'm pretty well-entrenched in my PC ways - since before your average apple store genius was out of diapers... ;)

Playing it safe - I went ahead and ordered the one-to-one. :D

12. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

You are in for a treat! I seriously can not even function efficiently on my PC at work.

Expose "screen-corners" save me literally an hour a day in time spent fumbling around different windows, browsers, etc...

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The 6770 is definitely more than enough for you. I have the 21.5 with the same card, and it's not at all bad (you can game with it, though I know that's not your intention). And for the uses you describe, I'd say there would be no difference whatsoever.