I think I got to much for my needs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macnator, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

I have a MBP (base model). I think I went waayyyy overkill buying it.... I love the black macbook. I just love it. The store I bought from will take your laptop and give you another one or whatever you want to do. Problem is: I think I may still be in the 14 day return Window, but My mother who bought it for me... may get mad, heres why: this MBP was bought when we returned a Blackbook which I had for a couple days... thought I needed a MBP, boy was I ever wrong. I don't edit video, I don't even know how to! I play some games,, nothing graphic intensive (I have a Xbox 360 for that). So, should I attempt to ask to return it, I don't see why not... since the macbook is less money, quite a bit. I only browse the web, instant msg, watch movies, play music,, stuff like that. I don't need a $2199.99 computer for that.

What do you guys think?

2. tip macrumors 6502

tip

It's your call. Personally, I like the more real estate on the screen...

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

From what I read:

1. You like the BlackBook more than the MBP.
    2. You don't need what the MBP offers and the BlackBook fits what you need.
    3. The BlackBook is waaay cheaper than the MBP.

I think you already made your decision. :p

4. weizilla macrumors regular

seems to me: big screen + graphics => macbook pro. portability => macbook

5. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know what to do guys... I need some further opinions!

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

The purchase has already been made. Just keep the MBP cause it might serve your needs later. You might see a game that you do want to play that may require a dedicated graphics card.

Think about the future, not right now.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well I do the same stuff you do, and I have a MBP, but only because of the bigger screen. If you don't need the bigger screen, then get the blackbook!

8. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

ok,, I think I will keep the MBP, because it is clearly more futureproof. Now another question for you guys.... The HardDrive on the baby is small as a pebble. I only had 87GB free space when I got it.......... If I have a larger harddrive installed, by a certified Apple reseller, that won't void my warranty will it? Being certified by Apple and all.... The place ( FutureShop ) knows what they are doing with computers.

9. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I find that when people keep giving you opinions and you say that you don't know what to do, deep down you really do know what you want to do. A nice way to test this is to make your decision based on a coin flip. After you get the coin's answer, if you have the urge to flip the coin again, then that tells you right there what you really want.

My vote is to keep the MBP, but you probably know what you want.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I think you do know what to do, but enjoy reading people commenting on your thread. 10 to 1, you made up your mind before starting this thread, and nothing anyone here says will actually change what you end up doing. In the meantime, though, we'll all pretend we're having an effect on you and comment anyway. :D

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have a 17" MBP an yet I still went and purchased a PB 12" and a black-book. Simply because when I don't need the real estate I am happy to browse on the smaller more compact machine. I prefer the smaller size for chucking around.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If you don't cut a ribbon cable you should be fine.

13. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I think you should be grateful and happy with any computer that's bought for you!:eek:

14. mediumofmeaning macrumors member

I don't know why you didn't spend more time considering this before purchasing. It's obvious you don't need the MBP, keeping it or not is up to you, as you understand its superfluous for your needs.

However, if you think you're not purchasing a new computer for a long time following this, the mbp will last longer and probably have a better resale value.

15. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

how about you return it, get a refund, give your mother the money back, get a job and pay for it yourself and learn to value things a little better.

16. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I'm a Mum, I would be annoyed at your indecisiveness at first. But, I would value that you have made an informed choice by trying the different models first. I would be happy that you are saving my money by choosing the MacBook. Just talk to her explain what you have said here. She may be mad initially but once thats over she'll be OK and you'll both feel a lot happier because you will have the Mac you want and Mum will have more money in the bank.

17. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I bought my MBP because I love the look of it. Would have gone for the base model but my retailer didn't have it in stock at the time. So I took the 2.4GHz model :p

18. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

I did spend alot of time considering the Blackbook and the MBP. I thought I needed the MBP, but I do not, for what Im doing with it. I just love the Blackbook though. I don't know what to do.

19. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I think this has nothing to do with computer specs and everything to do with you and your mother :) And we can't answer that question here.

But... You had a MacBook and decided it was inadequate. Then you bought this MacBook Pro, and decided it is overkill. Why will the MacBook -- which was not good enough -- be good enough now?

So, talk with your mom. Tell you her this is a great computer, thanks for buying it, etc. But you've realized you don't need such an expensive computer and if she exchanges it for the MacBook, you'll have what's best and she'll save $X00. What's she think about that?

20. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

The MacBook was good enough. I just thought selfishly and wanted bigger and better. I don't do any graphic intensive games, or video editing, or 3D apps, all I do is play the occasional game, iTunes, lots of web surfing, watch movies, stuff like that.

21. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i'd go with portability. don't get me wrong, i prefer the MBP in terms of my needs but given your "needs" even the middle MB 1299 will suffice. .save for the future kid! Economy is bad!:apple:

22. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

maybe it'll get better after election :)

23. Snips macrumors regular

Hehe, that's the exact technique I use.

:)

As for the decision as to go BlackBook or MBP, sounds like you have a very generous mother, and you should do whatever keeps her sweet ;)

24. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Im going to keep the MBP. Seeing it is more FutureProof. I did get it on sale so I guess its not so bad, money wise. Thanks for all your help guys.

25. Azmordean macrumors 6502

I think you made a good choice. Even if the BlackBook would have been good enough 95% of the time, the fact you may need more 5% of the time is reason enough to go for the MBP. Take my situation. I currently own a 12" PB G4 and a old single 1.8 G5 tower. They are good enough for nearly all of my needs. I, like you, primarily web surf, IM, listen to music, watch videos, and mess with photos. But I also, occasionally, like to play some games. And the fact is, even relatively light games like World of Warcraft are unplayable on both these systems, so I have to keep an old PC around for that. The BlackBook is similarly useless for games, having no dedicated video card.

So, I am looking at going MBP next time around. I can replace all 3 of my current computers with one. Only 10% or so of my computer time (maybe less) is gaming, but when I want to game I want to game, and having a computer that can't do it would be pretty disappointing. The other thing is, if the MBPs are like the PowerBooks, then the build quality will be better than the BlackBook, and the resale value will be higher.