I think I have a big problem...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aimee25, Jan 23, 2011.

1. aimee25 macrumors member

While surfing safari on the ipad this evening I got a "push" message that said:

Http:www1.safe-englink.rr.nu
    Warning! Your computeris at risk of malware attacks.
    We recommend you to check your system immediately. Press OK to start the process now...

then of course an okay button.

Wasn't going to press okay so I had to close safari and start again. The first time I was trying to get on to a destination wedding website, the second time I was trying to get to the mass timetable at the local church. This is also happening in atomic as well.

I got no idea what is going on or any idea how to stop it. Anyone got any suggestions? Keeping in mind the nearest mac store is 3 and half hours away and I bought it in august.

Thanks in advance

2. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Do never press ok on taht sort of stuff, never. Its a scam. I'd say try a different pag because the one you are using seems to scam people with taht sort of stuff so there's no guarantee that they wont scam you in a bigger scale. There's nothing wrong with you'r set-up,its the site that tries to scam you.

3. RobBookPro macrumors regular

It's not a push notification, it sounds just like a HTML alert.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just move on. Apple OS is "surposed" to protect you from this.

Just keep using your iPad and enjoy.

Don't let this frighten you!

5. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

yes thats is correct. i was just saying that its not a good habit to press those banners/notifications. the ipad is very safe but that sort of banner only indicates on what moral stage the whole website is, if you know what i mean.

6. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

The interesting part though is you said you visited two different sites, and the same message popped up when visiting both. It may be beneficial to do a restart of the iPad just to clear any cookies and cache files that have built up in Safari and Atomic.

Either way, it's extremely unlikely that tapping okay would have any adverse effects. More likely than not doing it will try and run a nasty .exe file that would do some less than desirable things on a windows based machine. Be happy you have the iPad :)

7. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

oh i missed that completely. your are right he should restore the ipad in itunes. who knows what happened with the firmware. a restore will anyhow eliminate the risk (which is very very unlikely, almost non existing) that you have any modifications on the firmware. as i said this is up to 99.9 percent impossible that you have virus/malware on your ipad.

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

It's a Java script. Open settings click on Safari, turn off java scripting. When you go back to the websites, the popups will be gone.

Nothing wrong with your iPad nor is there anything to worry about. If you do click on it, it will take you to a website and try to sell you a defective software package that will more than likely bring a windows machine to it's knees.

JS are ran in HTML not an applet like Java.