I think I have a Virus on my iMac... Please help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BamaDMD, Apr 7, 2008.

1. BamaDMD macrumors member

BamaDMD

This morning I tried to open up parallels at work and it said windows was corrupt and would not open. I also noticed that my mac trashcan had something in it, I tried to empty it and it acted like it emptied only to still show that there was something there. I opened it up and nothing was inside. I swicthed from icaon view to file view and two files showed.

They were cryptic looking (several symbols like greek letters). The size of the file said zero kb. the kind of file is Alias. The date was strange. Dec 31 1903.

It will not let me delete them. Doesn't say protected or anything, just won't delete them.

1. Is this some sort of virus?
    2. How can I delete the files?
    3. Does anyone know a good virus checker for the Mac

I have a new 20" aluminum iMac with 2.4ghz. Leopard installed and lastest updates. Any help would be apreciated.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There are no viruses you could get for your Mac

Try restarting, then emptying the Trash.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Start up in safe mode (hold Shift). Empty the trash.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you want to be certain you don't have a virus, you can download clamXAV and run it.

But it's unlikely you have a virus. The more likely scenario is that parallels is right, and your Windows partition got corrupted, either though a disk problem or perhaps an improper shutdown.

There have been a couple other threads where a garbled-character file shows up in trash and can't be emptied, and the problem is always related to a corrupted FAT32 partition for windows.. Here's a post similar to your situation, with a possible fix:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4940850&postcount=13

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It's not a virus (there aren't any for OS X right now), just some glitch in an app somewhere.

Open the trash, and then at the top left of the screen, go Finder > Secure Empty Trash > OK.

If you have loads of other files in the trash, it'll take quite some time to empty.

Hope this works, if not, somebody will come along and give you some command to type into terminal which will fix it...

6. BamaDMD thread starter macrumors member

BamaDMD

Thanks for the quick replies.....

I tried the clamx. No viruses found. I think your right. It is something to do with windows causing problems (arrrrrrggg) Now I have a new problem. I inserted my Windows install disk and it doesn't show up. I can't make it eject using any method I have found on this forum. It is just stuck. Tried to restart in safe mode but it will not allow me to enter safe mode, it just goes into boot camp. I have a wireless mouse and can't navigate around in windows in boot camp until I go home this evening (have a wired one there).........Why does boot camp windows seem to work when it says paralle side window is corrupted?