I think I have bought the wrong ram, please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rossikool, Jan 27, 2013.

1. rossikool macrumors newbie

by mistake I have bought, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200787930158?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1 497.l2649 which is 2.4ghz ram for my early 2011 macbook pro which has only 2.3ghz will it still work in my macbook even though they are different ghz's.

I emailed the compant for this instead, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-RAM-Memory-for-Apple-MacBook-Pro-2-3GHz-Intel-Core -i5-13-inch-DDR3-Ea-/200787930264?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_MemoryRAM_J N&hash=item2ebfe4ac98 but then noticed that this just 1 moduel of 8gb ram and not 2 lots for 4gb ram.

Will 2 different sticks of ram work like one of my current 2gb + 8gb=10gb.

I am new to upgrading thats all thank you.

Do the macbook and ram GHZ's have to match up?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Processor speed and RAM speed have no relation to each other whatsoever.

RAM works more efficiently and faster in matched pairs, thus you're better off getting two sticks of the model rather than one of each type. Not doing so will work, but you will lose dual channel ability.

RAM is RAM, buy whatever specs your machine needs. The early 2011 needs 1333MHz DDR3 SO-DIMMs, so long as that's what you're buying, all is well.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

That RAM will work - it is generally not recommended to use 2 + 8 sticks - matching sticks are better. May or may not work.

4. simsaladimbamba

The RAM is not dependent on the CPU frequency (GHz) of the computer, it is dependent on the right type (DDR3) and form factor (SO-DIMM with 204 pins) and bus frequency (1333 MHz), thus the RAM you linked to first will work.

Also know, that 2011 MBPs can take up 16 GB RAM using two 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules of 8 GB capacity. But using one 8 GB module and one 2 GB module does also work until you can get another 8 GB module.

5. rossikool thread starter macrumors newbie

so its doesn't matter if the RAM is 2.4 gmz and my macbook pro is 2.3, should the ram still work perfectly?

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

correct

7. simsaladimbamba

The RAM is not 2.4 GHz, the CPU is running at 2.4 GHz, but the CPU could also be running at 2.2 GHz or 2.4 GHz or any other frequency.
    That module is just from a Mac with that CPU, but it will work in any other Mac with the same RAM slots and different CPUs, if it conforms to the specs I talked about earlier.

What is a CPU? - measured in MegaHertz (MHz) and GigaHertz (GHz)
    What is RAM? - measured again in MB and GB

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

The RAM is not 2.4Ghz, read the specs correctly. That is simply written in the title to show with what type of machine it can work with, and even that is misleading as it would also work in a windows PC just fine.

That RAM stick is 204 Pin 1.35v DDR3 PC3-10600 SoDimm

9. rossikool thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for all your help, much appreciated!. I hate been a noob to things. Thats the RAM sorted next up the HDD XD.

much better forum compared to the actual apple website.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Sit down and go read up. I think you definitely need to learn a lot more about computers before you open up your machine if you're confusing processors and RAM already.

Just my opinion.

11. rossikool thread starter macrumors newbie

well I just thought that RAM had a processor speed which has to match the laptop I want it for with it been in the tittle of the ebay listing.

Like you said I will read up more

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

it will likely work, as long as it is the correct type of ram for your computer. You just won't have dual-channel, which increases ram access times a little. Depending on what you are doing, you might not even notice the difference in speed.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

RAM is most certainly not RAM. The are many types and spects. I wish I know more about ur Mac to give u a definite answer.

14. simsaladimbamba

There is notebook RAM (small), desktop RAM (long) and server/workstation RAM (also long, same size as desktop RAM, but with more features like error correction and such).
    Then there are generations of RAM, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, going towards DDR4 RAM, each new RAM has bigger capacities and faster speeds and lots of other little gimmicks.
    And there is the bus speed with each kind of RAM, DDR2 notebook RAM has a slower bus speed than DDR2 desktop/server/workstation RAM or slower than DDR3 notebook RAM.

Of course there is more, but that is the gist of it.

15. Mrbobb macrumors 601

When I had to upgrade my old Wintel boxes, I thought I knew enough about the ram I needed to get, all specs were the same. Alas, when the boxes were made, at the same memory size were made with 16 individual chips, a few years later, apparently the technology had improved now they make the same sticks with 8 chips, they call it high density. Same size, same specs. But diligent scan of people who's done this before warn this Mobo xxx ONLY ACCEPT LOW DENSITY RAM! So much for Ram is Ram.

OP, if you don't want to get a degree on this thing, scan eBay, and the good sellers will specify: THIS MEMORY COMPATIBLE WITH 2008 MACBOOK PRO for example, and even better they give you the Macbook model number like A208 blah-blah. Better pay them a little more if you have to than going into the hassle of returning it, IF they even let you.