I think I have failed my daughter

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Javelinadave, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Javelinadave macrumors newbie

I upgraded her iPhone 3Gs with firmware 4.2.1, modem firmware 5.15.04. She is on T-Mobile. I have got the phone jailbroken via Pwange and unlocked but now the phone constantly shows "Searching..."

Am I screwed?

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Yup, that phone is done for on tmobile with what you did. If you are on 5.15.04 you are NOT unlocked despite what you think unless that's a factory unlocked phone.

The only way you are unlocking that phone right now is to put ipad baseband on it and risk losing your gps.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good job.
    You never update a jb and unlocked iPhone to official firmware. 100% of the time it will lock again.
    Now in order to unlock again you have to install the iPad baseband and lose gps use.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yikes, it's why I avoid all this jailbreaking business. One wrong click and you've got to get a new phone.

5. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

How unfortunate looks like she has a fancy paperweight now. Never update JB devices without doing a little research first. Maybe, trying what others said about the iPad will work.

6. dgamer84 macrumors regular

It's not that difficult if you do your research. My 10 year old nephew has jailbroken his ipod and my iphone a few times already with no problem.

It'll work he'll just lose GPS and the ability to upgrade/restore his firmware through itunes.

7. huskerchad macrumors regular

Jailbreaking didn't take away any functionality or make his phone useless. Updating to stock apple firmware/baseband did. His phone right now is just as it would come if he bought a brand new 3GS from AT&T...which makes it 100% useless on T-Mobile.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

9. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

This is why I don't unlock, all my jailbreaking without unlocking has been easy as can be. I'm just not up to the challenge of unlocking. :)

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I just have to ask, then why are you in an iphone hacking forum?

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You can restore, you'll just have to use pwnagetool created firmware to do it.

12. dgamer84 macrumors regular

Yeah, forgot about that. :D

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

yeah, but 10 year old's don't have their brains cluttered with things like cars, women, house payments, politics, etc, etc...

..now, where did I put my car keys...

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    I hear that.
    Makes no sense.

15. Javelinadave thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved......... sort of. I'm going to trade phones with a bud who hasn't updated his phone in the last several months.:)

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Good for you. Now you know not to update. Also, you should d/l tiny umbrella and start saving the SHSH blobs.

17. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you still needed to remedy the issue, you could restore via iTunes (to get rid of Cydia and the failed Ultrasn0w unlock), use the new Greenpois0n to jailbreak, fire up Redsn0w and install the iPad baseband. Run Ultrasn0w again and you're home free.

18. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone