I think I have something wrong.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Jun 23, 2012.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I am currently using my pre-unibody c2d peryn mbp with 4gb of ram. I am in need of a new computer for accounting masters and stuff...

So, i saw the new retina display and all, it's nice but I hate glossy screens. I have never used them and just spending 10 minutes at the apple store, it's annoying me like crazy, I can't stand to see my hands writing or my face eating popcorn on the black bars of a movie. I am about the buy the non retina model with AG with 4gb of ram and add myself a crucial 256gb ssd and maybe more ram later. I never use more than 3gb right now with Lion but might buy a 8gb for cheap.

BUT I feel half stupid not to buy the retina display model since it might be the future and it will cost me almost the same with the ssd upgrade and ram I plan on doing...maybe $200 less...I feel like I am missing something..that in the long run I will be pissed @ myself for not taking the retina..but if only they could make one with AG screen..the current AG is not ISP but my dell monitor at home is ISP and I will connect it there and use my current mbp as a tv server.

So yeah, i really need a new computer but I don't know what to do. I hate this choice..worst ever.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

honestly, for accounting i don't see why you would want or need retina display. what software are you using? are they going to be updated for retina? who knows. and you hate glossy screens? well the retina display is still glossy. so theres no way around that.

yes, we all itch for the latest tech. but in your case, i don't see how the RMBP would benefit you at all really.

and its IPS, not ISP. i get the feeling you're not sure what that is and i doubt you need that either.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

You hate glossy screens, you saw the screen and you didn't like it, why is this even a question?

There are many PC manufacturers who put out low res displays. I don't even think that in 3 to 4 years that the res on the current Non-retina MBPs will be standard.

Just buy what you like and works for you.

4. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

yes I know what IPS is, it was just a typo. I am sorry.

Well, we will be using Acomba for sure and excel (a lot)...other than dad, mostly powerpoint and word for write audits and stuff..

I would like to add that I want to keep this computer for the next 4-5 years....so I need to best right now....so that's what the dilemma is....i was trying to make my mind switch to : i might adapt to the glossy screen....geez, what marketing can do to you. I would be kinda sad if in 1 year, they will add matte option for retina.

5. jcpb macrumors 6502a

For accounting, being able to see multiple accounting statements ALL AT ONCE without alt+tab/cmd+tab/what have you is a pretty big deal.

6. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

external monitor at home

7. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Then get the regular MBP. Not much else needs to be said.

8. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

15" mbp won't be obsolete in 4-5 years either. Yes there will be better laptops then, but there will also be updated rmbps too.

9. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

could someone recommend me good memory (8gb) for this to buy in canada?

thank you

10. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Unless you do the majority of your work in an Apple store, I think the glare will be fine. As I'm typing this, there are two lights on above me and I have to look to find the glare.

It all depends on your environment and positioning... the retina is definitely much better than an iMac or old MBP (not including the matte display.)

Honestly though, the standard MacBook Pro's offer several advantages over the Retina. This isn't just a 'The Retina is far better in every category, hands down' kind of thing. It all depends on you and your usage!

11. stevelam macrumors 65816

for text? i don't think that helps at all. yes it will be clearer/sharper but you are still limited by the screens real estate of a paltry 15".

its not the same as being able to see finer detail in images. with text, you either have to scale it up to see it or not.

as a coder, i don't see how it would help me either. you're not going to have MORE text on the screen just because the resolution is higher. the size of the font still has to be scaled up to be viewable.

12. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

so buying a non retina AG model is something smart?

13. brentsg macrumors 68030

So what, only certain people benefit from cleaner text and other on-screen objects/graphics? And only certain people benefit from improved viewing angles and contrast? Additional screen real estate..?

I've never really understood these arguments.

14. Spicedham macrumors regular

15. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

16. Spicedham macrumors regular

then your only choice is to buy the legacy model. problem solved.