I think I have the mac defender virus

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tydog07, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I think I got the virus, it could be from a number of things but I keep getting pop us and ads for a link to mac cleaner/keeper, plus I got a flash update today but it didn't go through because I had to close all my programs. How do I fix this problem or verify that I even have it? I never used to get pop-ups.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's malware, not a virus. Also, you need to close browsers before updating Flash, updating is completed then upon reopening the browser.

3. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Are you using Safari? If so, go to Safari menu, is there a check mark in front of Block Pop-up Windows? If not scroll down and select Block Pop-up Windows, this will put the check mark in front of it and activate the pop-up blocker.

5. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, maybe I didn't have anything before, I just know that I started to get popups and those new tabs that come up with alerts saying that I won something and I can't click off them within the last two weeks.

6. DewGuy1999, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Are you visiting different sites in the last 2 weeks than previous? Do they always happen on the same site(s)?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless you're seeing bogus virus scan messages, trying to make it look like your computer is infected and prompting you to install MacDefender, you haven't encountered that particular threat. It sounds like you're just getting advertising, which can be blocked by ad-blockers.

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    The first section of that link deals specifically with the MacDefender/MacSecurity/MacProtector/MacGuard issue, which is not a virus. I encourage you to read it.

8. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: It's just pops up for some mac cleaner software on certain websites, such as pirate bay when I'm on it for research purposes.