I think I hurt my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Jan 3, 2014.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I took delivery of a Samsung 840 PRO 128GB. I ordered it to replace my Samsung 470 which I planned to move to the optical bay using the Nimitz caddy I got from eBay over two years ago (yes, it took me a while to decide to go this route).

So, I opened up my Early-2011 MacBook Pro 13" last night. As expected, removing the 470 from the main bay and replacing it with the 840 Pro was a cinch. The other half of the upgrade was a nightmare. It was a pain in the neck working with all those small screws and, after hours, I was not able to get all the screws back in, though I put the lid back on with the components relatively snug. I fear the Samsung 470 is too bulgy for the optibay. I powered everything up and installed Mavericks onto the 840 Pro which couldn't have been easier but I encountered some issues.

At one point, while using Mavericks on the 840 Pro, I lost the cursor and had to turn off via the power button. Anytime I booted into the 470 from the optical bay, it would work but my computer would run crazy hot over nothing. Although, today, I booted from the 470 and it is running fine and cool.

One other problem I had last night was that I couldn't adjust the volume on Mavericks, it was at a mid volume, nothing more. The volume icon was like grayed out. I rebooted into the 470 and no problem adjusting the volume. The issue is resolved today, but the sound crackles from either drive. I remember I failed to secure the wires which run alongside the optibay and I fear that has something to do with the sound not being right.

I thoroughly wish I just got a 256GB 840 Pro and left the optical drive in.

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

I was going to say it just sounds like something was not connected properly. As for the heating issue, the laptop probably feels hotter than it really is. Also, remember with the new HD OS X is most likely indexing everything, which will cause it to run hotter than usual.

3. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, only my old 470 drive was running hot from the optibay. I have the iStat widget and it the CPU was running up around 90 degrees from little activity. It never did that in the main bay unless it was under duress. The sound is clearly off. I need to go in and reattach things. I fear the Samsung 470 is too big for the optibay caddy I got. Scouring the internet for the answer.

4. jahall05 macrumors regular

I would start with making sure everything is connected securely and go from there.

Let us know.