I think I installed Win7 twice in Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by entatlrg, Nov 21, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I partitioned 120gb for Windows, then installed Vista full version and the upgrade for Win7. The HD space I have left after all this is 92GB, surely that can't be right and I can't get to the window to find out how or what's all been installed.

I was upgrading to Win7 from Vista in via Bootcamp, I inserted the disk so all the install files could load, once they did I should of went to the Installation screen, choose my language, time zone etc and then it installs, right? Right.

But, in this case it went back to loading the install files and again I ended up at the Installation screen, to choose language etc. Windows should of been installing instead of reloading the setup files.

Finally I was able to restart and load the first installation of Windows it's working fine, but when I hit F8 for example it gives me a choice of which Win7 I want to boot from.

That's what makes me think the installation files installed twice, using up valuable HD space.

When I search for where those files are stored I can't them, they'd be on the HB somewhere I'm sure.

Assuming I did load Win7 install files on there twice how to I find this hidden mystery double install?

Thanks for any help.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Check your drive for a Windows.OLD folder. In the past Microsoft use to backup your old windows folder(for safety).

If not run Disc Cleanup to remove any old copy's of files. If I remember correctly Windows Vista/Win7 uses up to 15% of your hard drive for backing up file changes(on a 500GB drive that's 75GB!).

As for showing 2 versions when you hold F8 during startup... well you got me:confused:. I'm pretty sure you can't install 2 copy's of windows on one partition.

Disc Cleanup to Remove Shadow Copy's and old System Restore points:
    -

!!Actually on Windows7 these steps might be a little different, but you should be able to find it.!!

1.) Start Menu > Accessories > System Tools > Disc Cleanup
    2.) Click "Files from all Users on this Computer"
    3.) Click the More options Tab
    4.) Click the Clean Up button under "System Restore and Shadow Copies"

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thank you very much for the detailed reply!

I'm going to try it now.

(edit - recovered 22gb of space!, thanks again).