I think I just snagged a quad for $65...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by catzilla, Jul 10, 2016.

1. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

3. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Man, it looks like they tied it to the back of a truck and drove down the road...Always amazed at how people scratch these things up like that.

Late 2005 are tricky...Dual 2, 2.3 and Quad all look identical until you pull off the G5 processor cover.

4. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

It's described as a 2.5 at least 3 times in the listing, so if it isn't I have a beef. They are a volume seller, I would be surprised if they made that mistake.

5. iModFrenzy, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

As soon as I read this, I knew the exact auction OP purchased.(I hadn't clicked the link yet)

Also wanna add, being that this person is an experienced seller. They probably have the things necessary to check what model this is(monitor,power cable). If they didn't know it was a 2.5 I doubt they would describe it as that because they have a high reputation to attend to.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I can make out "2.5 Quad" on the sticker.

Also, they show a picture of the front of the cooling unit. I don't have the pictures handy, but I have posted photos on here before of what the front of the LCS looks like vs. the air heatsinks on these model G5s. It sure looks like an LCS to me.

7. oi! Suspended

You have better eyes that I have!

Fingers crossed for you Catzilla!

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Isn't the square section, heavy duty power socket a clue to it's Quadness too?

9. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

All the model 1117 use that cord, which I need to get....

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

When you look at enough of these, you can read a lot from a blurry sticker just by examining character spacing and the like.

BTW, @catzilla, note that you also have a 7800GT, which was an upgrade.

11. lastmile macrumors member

Looks beat up but I think there's an Airport/Bluetooth card in there. Aren't those rare for the 2005 models?

12. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I wasn't really intending to tell you that it wasn't a quad, you said "should be" in your original post. I merely mentioned that all late 2005 on the surface look identical, including, the power cord.

Either way, best of luck to you. I hope the lcs is in better shape than some parts of the skin. ;)

I've had an interesting run with quads...they're great machines if everything is in working order.

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Yeah it's gone one. The riser card that holds the AP/BT is the hard part to get.

14. catzilla, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

You guys all have good eyes. I have a 1047 with the AE card, I don't know what the AP/BT card looks like. 7800GT? I wondered what card it had. I'm going to examine the pictures a little closer now...

EDIT: is the AP/BT card mounted in the same area as the AE card on the 1047?

15. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Yeah its in the same general spot. The BT and AirPort are on the same card which has a slot just above the memory which you can see in the 8th photo.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Good luck, I wish I had a reason to get one, I thought they looked awesome when they first came out although I figured 4 cores was a bit of overkill.

17. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The BT/AP card itself is easy to find-I think it was also used in iMac G5s and maybe a couple of others.

The hard part is the "runway" card, which allows you to put the card in the AP slot on these late model G5s. I've seen them with asking prices(not necessarily selling prices) of $100 or better.

If you want these features in a Quad or any late '05 G5, it's best to hold out for one that already has it installed.

The standard Airport Express card will work, but the antenna connection is different so you're on your own to hook it up to the antennas in these(which are the same "snap" type used well into the Intel era and on most laptops).

There's a third option, which is not as elegant but none the less works well. A good portion of earlier Intel Macs used a mini-PCIe card. This is a standard form factor card, and in fact a lot of PC makers used them. There are adapters available to let you put a mini PCIe card in a standard PCIe slot. The one I bought came with antenna connectors and coax jacks on the back of the computer for antennas. I bought an Apple Airport card(I had better luck with Broadcom, indicated by a p/n starting with B) and put it in my Quad via one of these adapters. It's recognized and works natively.