I think I killed my Time Machine drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wrldwzrd89, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

    wrldwzrd89

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Location:
    Solon, OH
    #1
    I shut down my computer yesterday - it appeared to shut down normally but the backup drive would not spin down, for some odd reason. I decided to just kill power to it... bad idea. When I next booted the computer, the drive made an odd noise, as if one half of it had been damaged and can't spin up properly anymore. The drive is not recognized in Finder or Disk Utility, and in Apple System Profiler it shows up as an Unknown Device connected to the FireWire bus.

    Making matters worse is that this drive is used for Time Machine backups, and it had a second partition used for storage. About 98% of the files on that storage partition were backed up to DVDs, but the remaining 2% were not. Adding insult to injury, these were large files I downloaded and was keeping archived... most notably Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and Xcode 3.1 (700 MB and 1.1 GB respectively). These I can re-download. Alas, there were also about 0.1% (of the total, not of the 2% that were not backed up to DVD) of the files on that drive that were not backed up and cannot be re-downloaded - these files, such as my iTunes Library ( :( ) will need to be rebuilt from scratch.

    Suffice to say, the drive appears to be totally dead now. Given my situation, is it worth trying to salvage what was on it? About 99.8% of the data on there was either backed up or can be re-downloaded from the Internet.
     
  2. techound1 macrumors 68000

    techound1

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2006
    #2
    If you want to try to get it back you can try a program such as data rescue - it can usually read things that don't show up in disk utility.
     

Share This Page