I think I killed my Wii - wrong voltage

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Ja Di ksw, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi everyone. So, I moved to Austria a little bit ago and brought my Wii with me. Recently I took it to a friend's place to play, and when I brought it back to my place I forgot to use a power converter when I plugged it back in. Pretty much everything else I have is rated up to 240V for input, it was almost 3 in the morning, and I just plugged it in without thinking. There was a pop that sounded from around the power strip (which still works) and the circuit breaker blew. Fixed the circuit breaker, but now nothing happens when I plug my Wii in. Do you think the power adapter is dead, and I need to buy a new one (would a European power adapter for the Wii even work with an American Wii? I think so but I'm not sure) or do you think the Wii itself is shot and I just lost the entire console, saved games, etc? Such a dumb move on my part, was just tired as hell and not thinking. Sigh, going to bed now. So much for trying to import a US version of the New Super Mario Bros Wii....

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Hopefully it's just the power supply. My cousin's PSU blew out in his PC the other month and it didn't damage any of the other components. I gave him my extra PSU and his computer worked fine, so I'm thinking it would be the same for the Wii.

Any friends that have a Wii, so that you can try it out on their PSU?

Good luck, this would be a really crappy week to loose a Wii with the new SMB right around the corner.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the power ratings from my european wii power supply

Pri: 230v, 53W (the input)
    Sec: 12v 3.7A (the output)

you might check the output on your US powersupply for comparision before plugging in an european one

also i second that trying out if your wii still works with a friends adapter etc. might be an idea.. could as well be that the wii is already fried
    (side according to some german boards using a PAL PSU works but don't come blaming me if it doesn't ;) )

4. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thanks for the ideas :). I'll check the output on the US version before I buy a new one. I know someone with an Austrian Wii, but haven't seen him for a long time. We'll see if I can convince him to let me borrow his adapter. With any luck it will work and I can find one at a store around here so I don't have to order it from Nintendo or anything.