Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
Damn i think its has to be ibook...

Ok i did a REALLY long Buget i mean real long, i estimated my total income until June 17 (My birthday) ya! anways i did it this day becuase mail in rebate for 100 dollers expires by 25 June and i wanted Extra time just in case..

Soooo this is the LOWEST i can get (Hours will probaly go up by Middle may when summer comes)

Total Gross income before bills: (What i would have in account) 2,209.91

Total Expenses: 372.00 for bills

Net after expenses: 1,837.91

Reminding that this could change ALOT during sumer hours will go up, so will my tips, and i am SURE i will get at least 100 dollers for birthday...

ibook Specs and price 1,291.92 with Tax
-800 for selling old Laptop
-100 doller mail in rebate (Only good until June 25)

391.92 Total price

Specs
1.33GHz PowerPC G4 (Heard they are upgrading to 1.4 soon mabye by June)
512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM (Heard Upgrade to 512mb)
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 (Heard going to upgrade to 64 mb)
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in

Powerbook is one i really want... 1,507.50 with Tax
-800 selling old laptop
607.50 Total price

Specs
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
1.5GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go5200 (64MB DDR)
Full size keyboard
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
Analog audio in/out
Mini-DVI out

I would love to buy powerbook BUT

1,837.91-607.50= 1230.51 BROKE lol

Ibook 1,837.91- 391.92 1445.99 better off ALOT

So should i just get ibook since its hurts, i would wait longer but 100 doller mail in rebate is gone June 25, and i can't wait longer then that... So what should i do? Just put Powerbook on Credit card? (IMO bad idea) then pay off when i have money so this would hurt next few paychecks??!!

Shittty Hope hours go up at work and i get ALOT of money for Bday lol..

Other Senaro

2127.91 Account still possbile probaly Very likley this figure

Powerbook= 1521.91 (left)
ibook= 1736.56 (left)

Or 2597.51 (Still possbile And probaly very likley anything higher then this NOT possbile

Powerbook= 1991.51 (Left)
ibook=2206.51 (Left)

I am really hoping they wil update powerbooks soon because its been over 200 days since update and they usally every 160 days about, so if they update nice if not shazzbuttty...

Any suggestings? Opintions? Sorry about the LONG post lol..

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
WOW

You sound a lot like me. Why do we do these silly budgets to see if we can afford something we want really bad. Now that I am looking at someone else do it, it is very funny. Just to let you know 1400 and 1200 is not a huge difference. When you are spending 1500 200 is not that much anymore. If you have money left over your good.

So in my opinion get the powerbook. I use to have one until it was stolen. I miss it a whole lot. You will be glad you did. You will miss the money for about a week then you will get your powerbook and forget all about it. Have fun with it. Later.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'd get the PB for that small a price difference. Seriously, its no biggie if you're spending it on a computer you'll be using for years. You won't be broke. The $200 cost difference is less than 15% of what you had

Anyway, the PB comes with 512MB RAM right now, while the iBook may only come with 256MB even after an update, although I doubt it. And the video card on the iBook may not be updated at all to 64MB. Its all rumours right now. But it doesn't matter anyway, because the video card on the iBook doesn't support CoreImage, which is new in OSX Tiger.

And unless you're an accountant, you do sound kinda ridiculous and over-the-top. ;)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Total Gross income before bills: (What i would have in account) 2,209.91

Total Expenses: 372.00 for bills

Net after expenses: 1,837.91

Reminding that this could change ALOT during sumer hours will go up, so will my tips, and i am SURE i will get at least 100 dollers for birthday...

Enjoy your new Mac ... and good luck when taking the CPA exam.

Pluckie

macrumors member
May 7, 2005
Hey, I don't know if you'd be able to purchase your computer sooner so you can save more money on the purchase (I didn't really bother reading your whole budget layout). But Amazon.com has the best deals on Apple laptops right now. A 12" powerbook (1.5Ghz, 512MB, 60GB, Combo) costs $1500. But then you can subtract $150 off for a rebate they have that requires you purchase it by May 17. You can also subtract anotoher $100 for the students rebate offered by apple that you mentioned. So that brings the cost down to $1250. Plus as an added benefit amazon has free shipping and no tax. Same thing I said applies to the iBook, but with only a $100 dollar rebate from amazon. It's cheaper than buying with education discount from apple!

Just thought you maybe should consider that deal because you're steep on money. Also, if you choose not to buy by May 17 from amazon, they seem to frequently offer rebates, so there probably would be another one up in June, but it might not be for $150.

Panoctopi

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
I've been putting myself under the same fun turmoil of choosing between iBook an PB, and my bday is june 20, but for now I'll hold out a little while longer for any possible updates... as is, the pb seems to be worth the 'investment' since it would probably last a good while before being dated... whatever you do make sure you have some money left to party on your bday!
;)

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
Panoctopi said:
I've been putting myself under the same fun turmoil of choosing between iBook an PB, and my bday is june 20, but for now I'll hold out a little while longer for any possible updates... as is, the pb seems to be worth the 'investment' since it would probably last a good while before being dated... whatever you do make sure you have some money left to party on your bday!
;)

lol i will try...

BKKloppenborg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
La Mesa, Ca
Hector said:
refurb powerbook = not broke

ya i was looking at those but everytime i have checked on their web site they just have ibooks no powerbooks plus can you get 100 doller EDU rebate with a referb?

denverguy22

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
I was recently in a similar situation and ended up going with a recent PowerBook- Micro Center has a deal on the last edition of the 12" PB for $999 after rebate and you can get the Tiger upgrade for $10. It's the 1.3 12" G4 with 256MB built-in, 60GB hard drive and the combo drive- a pretty nice machine for a good price- add applecare with your education discount from somewhere else for $240 and probably upgrade the memory through a cheaper source and you've got a nice machine. Last I checked they weren't available through their website anymore, but their stores still have some in stock. Check out locations at http://microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.