Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
The only difference between the Edition and a SS watch is the case, and the Edition does not even have a metal band. That case alone is not really worth $9000.

But I know why Apple price the Edition at $10000. They want the Edition to be a status symbol for the brand. They don't care about selling them in quantity. It is like the Lexus LFA, or the Acura NSX. It's the halo effect on the brand, not the actual profit they bring. If Apple want to maximize profit there is a much more effective price point than $10000.

You see, people who can afford this watch have a lot of money, so for them this is just another watch next to their Philippe Patek collection. The last thing Apple want is to sell the watch to the people who can barely afford it, and because it represents such a large investment to them they would b*tch and moan if the watch is not absolutely perfect in every detail, which nothing in their first generation is. And tens of thousands of people b*tching and moaning about your top of the line model is a sure way to tarnish the brand.

So I think Apple marketing is very smart to price the watch the way it does.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
The only difference between the Edition and a SS watch is the case, and the Edition does not even have a metal band. That case alone is not really worth $9000.

But I know why Apple price the Edition at $10000. They want the Edition to be a status symbol for the brand. They don't care about selling them in quantity. It is like the Lexus LFA, or the Acura NSX. It's the halo effect on the brand, not the actual profit they bring. If Apple want to maximize profit there is a much more effective price point than $10000.

You see, people who can afford this watch have a lot of money, so for them this is just another watch next to their Philippe Patek collection. The last thing Apple want is to sell the watch to the people who can barely afford it, and because it represents such a large investment to them they would b*tch and moan if the watch is not absolutely perfect in every detail, which nothing in their first generation is. And tens of thousands of people b*tching and moaning about your top of the line model is a sure way to tarnish the brand.

It's also difficult to fathom paying that kind of money on technology which we all know will not last and depreciate. You're right! Anyone shelling out that kind of dough doesn't care. Then again, since it is the first Apple watch, it may be worth something later down the road.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Considering third-party companies have transformed iPhones and iPads into gaudy works of art with gold-plating or solid gold, as well as with encrusted diamonds and rubies, I don't see why Apple can't get in on the action as well. Remember that $3.51M iPhone 6 that went on sale earlier this year, and the $15.3M iPhone 5 that was made two years before that?

At that rate, $10,000-$17,000 by Apple themselves doesn't seem so excessive.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
The LFA is a bad example because that actually cost Lexus more to make than they sell it for.

Also lol @ comparing the apple watch to a Patek Phillipe

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

You copied a reddit post that used those specific examples and tried to pass it off as your own epiphany. Nice.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Can't wait for a gold expert to measure how much gold is really in the watch … and what the gold value really is. I doubt it'll even reach $5,000.

The watches have around $1500 worth of gold in them. Only exception is the custom gold link watch they did for Karl Lagerfeld.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
So far, it looks like nobody famous has to buy the Edition.

Apple (Angela) seems to be giving them away to celebrities and fashion buddies.

That wouldn't be Angela giving them out, it'd be Phil Schiller. Angela is getting blamed for entirely too much with this Watch release.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Also lol @ comparing the apple watch to a Patek Phillipe

I didn't say the two are compatible. I said they just put the Apple watch next to their Patek Phillipe in the same watch drawer.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
No ****. You can buy a 250g gold bar for the price of the Edition.

5984850e5a86649ab3c2150c7ac2945ecf51b522.jpg

http://www.apmex.com/product/78385/250-gram-gold-bar-austrian-mint-cast

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
The whole point of the Gold watch is to get celebrities wearing it so more consumers buy the standard version. It's a brand/marketing thing.

Are you saying that us regular folk aren't good enough to have an edition? In any event the edition watch makes you look like a prick, that's why you don't see any of the Apple big wigs sporting them. Only spoiled rich celebs that can easily afford them but got them for free

foxkoneko

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Are you saying that us regular folk aren't good enough to have an edition? In any event the edition watch makes you look like a prick, that's why you don't see any of the Apple big wigs sporting them. Only spoiled rich celebs.

wait til we get the android gold equivalent :D

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
The watches have around $1500 worth of gold in them. Only exception is the custom gold link watch they did for Karl Lagerfeld.

Wow, that's pathetic. That mark-up is shameless. But it's fashion … and that kind of mark-up is standard in the industry. A Rick Owens scarf costs nearly a grand.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Which was the same approach Beats took when they were first launching. They wound up in every music video and on every athlete you could find while Beats didn't drop a dime on marketing.

Giving them to the "tastemakers" is effective (though a really sad commentary on consumer culture).

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Which was the same approach Beats took when they were first launching. They wound up in every music video and on every athlete you could find while Beats didn't drop a dime on marketing.

Giving them to the "tastemakers" is effective (though a really sad commentary on consumer culture).

I don't get it either. If anything I would NOT want something because a celeb has it. It irks me how I always see pics of those damn Kardashians with the newest iPhone after every launch.

Kingzope

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm also starting to think they built the clock software into the wristband just so they could call it an Apple Watch.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I don't get it either. If anything I would NOT want something because a celeb has it. It irks me how I always see pics of those damn Kardashians with the newest iPhone after every launch.

That's probably because you're past the age of idol worship. For marketing to the younger crowds it's massively effective because, for some reason, they actually care about these celebrities.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015

Tax write-off for advertising costs? They cost maybe $2k to make, price them at $10-17k, give away 1000 of them and claim $15mil in advertising costs when you really only spent $2mil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.