I think I know why they don't check UUID anymore...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by FrancoisC, Jun 30, 2012.

1. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Hi all,

Like some other people, last year I got myself a dev account because I had money to spare, and I like trying new stuff.

Anyway, this year I didn't feel like it, and I did not renew. But my account was still valid when the first beta of ios 6 came out, so of course I installed it.

I thought to myself "oh well, I'll get back to ios 5 when my account expire", but it did expire and I still could upgrade to beta 2, I even tried a full restore and it still worked.

We now have OTA update, which mean originaly, if somebody's account expired between 2 betas, he would be without a working phone if he upgraded to the latest update without thinking about it.

Of course he could restore to an earlier version, but ios 6 backup can't be restored to ios 5 (and 5 to 4, etc....) so I think apple just removed this check for those kind of people, to avoid the hassle of reconfiguring everything, games save, ect....

I could be wrong, but as almost everything apple, only they know :)

2. Scott90 macrumors 6502

I don't think so, honestly. The betas are meant for developers. Not just people who paid to be part of some developer program, actual developers. Those people are either very likely to renew (because without it, they can't develop anymore), or if they don't renew, they won't install the betas because there's no point: they won't be developing anymore soon anyway.

Of course, most people install a beta on their device to check out new features. Testing their apps comes second. But that is not how it was originally intended.