I think I may have deleted several fonts, please help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmccamb, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jmccamb macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, first I want to thank you for looking at this and if you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

I am not entirely certain, but I think I messed up my apple fonts when recently installing several programs including Office 2011 and Adobe CS5. I am also not sure if it is my mind playing tricks on me, but ever since i installed office, i noticed some fonts in other programs (safari) appearing differently since the install.

In an attempt to understand what was going on, i tried to figure out how the system handles fonts. Long story short, office created a folder inside the fonts folder containing all the fonts it needs to run.

I then opened up fontbook and revealed each duplicate font in the finder. Oddly enough, the resolve duplicates function sometimes chose the Microsoft version over the Apple version (which were older and sub par in comparison.)

I did my best to select and activate manually each font that i thought was packaged with Snow Leopard. However, even after completely removing office and the fonts folder it came with, it seems as though the system is using the Microsoft versions of the previously duplicate fonts.

Can someone provide some insight as to what fonts are in fact apple fonts (.otf or .ttf). Additionally, is there any way to recover the default fonts?

Thanks again.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

On a simply setup system, fonts may be found in three locations: /Library/Fonts/, ~/Library/Fonts, and /System/Library/Fonts/. Their importance are as follows:

1. /Library/Fonts/. This is your global Fonts folder. Administrative users may install fonts here or remove fonts here. These fonts are available to all Mac applications by all users on the system.
    2. /System/Library/Fonts/. This is your System Fonts folder. The OS uses these fonts. An attempt to remove fonts located here may foul-up your system and give you untold grief.
    3. ~/Library/Fonts/. This is your account's Fonts folder. Fonts located here are available on to a single account.

Microsoft Office adds a collection of its own fonts. They are located at /System/Fonts/Microsoft/. Microsoft's fonts do not conflict with System fonts. Therefore, installing them or uninstalling them is unlikely to damage your System. These fonts may conflict with your bundled global fonts. This may cause problems in documents that use them. It will not cause damage otherwise.

If you use Font Book to manage your fonts, then you should find your disabled fonts in /Library/Fonts Disabled/.