I think I might be getting a virus... Image attached...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Euro-Canadian, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Euro-Canadian macrumors newbie

So, I was on google and once I cliked one of the sites which seamed reasonable to me as it said "WestJet - Organisational Structure" my firefox closed and this is what appeared on the screen.

I am still keeping it open as I am scared to press ok. Similar thing happened to me last week and my harddrive died the next day and I lost all my school work (I don't know if it was related or not)

I am trying to close the Firefox (without pressing ok) and it will not close.
    I try to uninstall it, but it doesnt work as I still have it open.

Any suggestions would be appretiated on what do do as I am not that experienced with Mac Computers and am scared of this annoying pop up.

Thank You

[​IMG]

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You don't have a virus.

What you're seeing is a scam website trying to trick you into thinking that you have a virus. Just force quit Firefox (Apple menu > Force Quit) and you'll be fine.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should be your first clue to the fact that this is a scam:
    desktopcapture.jpg
    "Windows Security" has nothing to do with Mac OS X.

4. flipster macrumors 6502a

lol at "Windows security". Glad you have a mac now, huh?

5. stev3n macrumors 6502

I was on a website and one of those messages popped up and then auto-downloaded some .exe files to my comp. I'm so happy I don't use a PC. :cool:

6. Euro-Canadian thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU!!! I didn't know about force quit until now.

Yeah, I saw windows security, but I was too scared to do anything since my hard drive died last week. (probably not related, but it freaked me out)

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

those "Windows Security" pranksters ... always up to no good the little buggers

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...amusing thread title. You either have a computer virus or you don't. On your Mac, you most certainly do not, as none presently exist.

I suppose your immune system doesn't let you know you're getting a virus either. By the time you're alerted, you already have it.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I wouldn't go so far as to say none exist...

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would. So would anyone else who did any research on the issue. There are a handful of trojans, which require the user to install them and provide their password, but no viruses. Not even any other type of malware that I'm aware of. Just trojans, which don't even remotely fall into the same category, nor did they really do anything significant.

As noted, the OP's problem is simply a spam popup from a website.

jW

11. GGJstudios, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Name one. While you're trying to think of one, read the link I posted in post #3.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suppose you could have a virus on your Mac if someone sneezed on it and you touched the wet spot and then touched your nose. This is the only current way to have a virus on a Mac.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Parallels, VMWare, Virtualbox and Bootcamp are ways you can get a virus on your Mac...

...By running windows on it! :p

Now who would want to go and do a thing like that? :eek:

Still there are some malware protection products available for OS X (Sophos and Clamxav are two free ones). Their main purpose is to spot windows viruses in emails you are forwarding so you don't unknowingly pass them on to your windows using friends.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

Blech!