I think I might do it...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yumunum, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Tomorrow I might trade my 2010 MacBook Pro in for a 64GB Wifi + 3G iPad 2. I'd get the Smart Cover, Apple Keyboard, and Pages (to help replace Word, ect.) My family has one "central" computer, an iMac, used about 95% of the day by little sister. I'd use that only for syncing photos, music, and emergency cases when I need a full-fledged computer. I'd probably save a little more and buy an iMac off Craigslist eventually, so I could stop using the home computer and have my own.

I mostly browse the web (not Flash intensive sites), take and edit photos with my digital camera (and PhotoShop every once in awhile), take notes (using Springpad - a wonderful service!), Email (a lot), manage my calendar, use Google Docs, listen to 14+ GB of music, watch a lot of YouTube videos, check Facebook every once in awhile, use Google Talk, and post on forums.

I'd obviously lose Photoshop, but I didn't necessarily "need" the power from that to edit my photos. I find myself mostly just adjusting colors and such, something that a lot of the iOS App store apps can do.

I'd lose Google Talk. I haven't found a worthy client on iOS yet. :( But I think I could live with that.

What do you guys think? You can try and convince me one way or the other, or simply discuss problems and solutions for problems people doing what I might do could come across :) I'd really love other people's input.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

I use Beejive for IMing. Works great but isn't cheap.

3. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

no.

Do not do that, once you swap you'll start finding you miss your macbook alot and seeming as it a very new one I'd defiantly say keep the MBP and don't get the ipad

4. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Thank you so much for suggesting that! A lot of my friends try talking to me primarily through google talk, so it's handy.

@second poster (sorry, can't see your name on the compose page!)

Why is it that I would miss my computer? I mean, I can see a few reasons. But what is it that you think i'd experience, or that you've experienced with your iPad that requires you or makes you want to go back to your computer?

5. Snowelevation macrumors newbie

Honestly

I wouldn't trade out the Mac, you are going to lose more functionality than you think. There are some basic things you still can't do yet.

I would say your solution would be more ideal once there is a proper jailbreak and working/supported apps for the iPad 2. Attachment saving, true multitasking, tweaks, etc. all of that is something you are actually going to need in order to fully replace (or better not fully) your macbook pro.

I have a macbook pro 2010, an ipad 2, and an iphone 4. Trust me man I just wouldn't make the switch yet.

6. Wtoj34 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPad doesn't have flash. That's a huge downside and other than that it's just a big oversized iPod with a few different things. Keep the Mac definetely.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The need for "true multitasking" is greatly overblown. I've had backgrounder on my various iPhones for years and unless an app doesn't support it I have yet to find a use for full that Apple's system doesn't satisfy. Maybe continuing a video playing in the background if you switch out but that's about it; however, if there is an app you use that doesn't support it then ok. I use iSwifter to view Flash sites and view our interactive presentations. Gets the job done.

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm going to replace my Windows laptop with my iPad 2 once I get it set up. When I got my iPhone 4, my laptop use went WAY down--it practically sits in its bag on the floor 24/7. Now that I have my iPad 2, I imagine it will be virtually unused.

I have stated this in other threads--I have never loved the laptop form factor, even back when they were the latest craze. I find them uncomfortable and hard to travel with. I would have owned a tablet a long time ago if someone would have made a decent one. The thing is, I only use my laptop when I want to work upstairs near my family, in which case I just set up camp at the kitchen table. There will mostly be no need for that anymore.

I will still keep my Windows 7 tower up and running as it is basically the nerve center of my whole house and also holds my iTunes backups. Other than that, there is only 1 app I need to run that is not compatible with iPad and that software will be available on my tower.

So I think it depends on your lifestyle. I personally no longer need a laptop in my life and never cared much for them anyway.

9. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I've evaluated my uses and I bet I'd be in the same boat as you. I can only hope that the theme of iOS 5 is "portable independancy" Like, being able to manage everything WITHOUT a computer. That's what I really want. I feel like the iPad (and other tablets in general) are going to become the primary target for websites soon, with little to no sites and functions that are unusable on tablets. It just seems like te direction things are going, and I want to hop along!

10. Wtoj34 macrumors newbie

True

True but if you are trading it in I'm guessing it's through apple. If not to get the most out of a tablet, I would suggest the motorola tablet with widgets and flash. This obviously has android but if you want 3G it would be through Verizon so that may not be an option

11. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I would be trading through a very successful chain in the NW called "The Mac Store" It's a pretty awesome store, almost like it more than the official Apple Store. Anyways, I originally wanted the Xoom, but after the tons of experience I've had with Android, I don't trust Google to make Honeycomb worth it. Already, it's extremely unfinished an laggy. So where my andros phones, the "high end" ones. Miserable. I believe that Apple will continue having the best app store and support, which is why I'd put my trust with them.

12. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

13. Ommid macrumors 6502

This, don't

14. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Don't do it dude. I have a macbook pro and just bought an ipad 2. No way it could replace my mac. It is a badass tablet and I love to browse and watch videos and play games. But it is not made for computing. It is annoying only being able to have one window at a time and it just isn't worth it or made to replace a macbook pro. Save up a few hundred bucks and buy an iPad 1. There isn't a huge difference you don't need to cameras or the speed increase if you have a mbp.

I have iphone 4, ipad 2, mbp , and imac and I still wouldn't have traded my mbp for an ipad even keeping the imac...

15. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

For the OPs stated uses I don't see why an iPad isn't a good choice. As long as there is access to a "real" computer for those occasions where it's absolutely necessary, the iPad takes care of all of these functions. It's my main computer at home most of the time, too. I reserve my iMac for Adobe CS work and iTunes stuff, but generally I'm on the iPad most of the time. That said, if you're trying to get WORK done on it, I'd be hesitant to say "abandon the computer" because I don't know about that. But if it's leisure activities most of the time, which is how it sounds from the description, go for it. That is what it is made for.

16. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I get that it would work. But it would make everything much more difficult. I guess I don't understand where he would benefit from trading for an iPad 2. In my opinion he would end up losing more than he gained. 2010 mbp is plenty portable and has fine battery life.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

MBP weighs what, 4.5 pounds? iPad 2 weighs 1.34 pounds. That's a huge difference, one that is in and of itself a benefit for certain usages.

I currently have an iMac, MacBook Air and an iPad, and the Air is the device that gets the least use. The only thing about the op's situation that gives me pause is that he will be sharing an iMac with his sister. But he's said he eventually plans to get one of his own. Once he does that, it will totally work out, no question about it.

18. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

yup he isn't stating he wants more portability though. Not sure really what he wants. Just wants an iPad 2 I guess, which is understandable. It's a badass decide and you'll love it I'd just be hesitant trying to replace a mbp with it

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm. Well for me the entire point of iPad is the supreme portability. It goes a lot of places a notebook would be too heavy or cumbersome to carry, and it's much more comfortable to curl up with on bed or sofa. I think a lot of people who have notebooks got one as a compromise between portability and functionality, and what the iPad does is allow them to pick a different combination, namely, desktop+iPad. If OP was trying to go solo with the iPad, I'd tell him don't do it, but his goal seems to be to move to a desktop+iPad combo, only he can't buy both at once, so he's doing it incrementally. It would be a bit awkward while he has to share the iMac with his sister, but overall, it seems to me that he should be able to work it out.

20. silverblack, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

When lion is released later in the summer, it will support multi-user remote access; i.e., the OP can remote access to his iMac while his sister is log-in her own account. So, it's like have a second computer, without actually having a 2nd computer ;)

As long as you have a computer to update and sync the iPad, you'll be fine. I have an iPad, an iMac (shared computer with family), a MacBook Air that I got for traveling before I had the iPad. Now I am on my iPad > 95% of the time. "There's an app for everything" is true most of the time. For the odd cases, I go to one of my two macs.

I am sure you can manage with the iPad. There will be some learning curve, but no pain, no gain.

21. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Go for it. If you don't like it, you can always switch back.

22. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

I wouldn't do it. Look at my sig, the only reason I'm surviving is because I have my own iMac. An MBA purchase is definitely in my future for true multitasking among other things. IMO iPad is an addition to a setup not a replacement. It's not there yet...

23. Mitch2742 macrumors member

I only use my laptop to do work for school (although sometimes I write papers on my iPad since I have the wireless keyboard--a must-have, imo), downloading torrents and using it as storage so I can stream my music to my iPad. For pretty much everyone, I use my iPad 2. Absolutely love it.

24. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Thanks so much for all your points and ideas everyone. I guess I forgot to mention that yes, portability is an important reason why I'd get an iPad. I'd be interested to hear what things you guys need your computer for. So far it's been a little vague. What specific things do you go to your computer for that your iPad can't do? (besides updating, syncing, photoshop, obvious things)

Btw, feel free to hijack my thread if it's still about replacing computers with iPads. It's all helpful information to hear. If I go through with this, should I flog about it? My own word for forum blogging, haha. If anyone wanted to hear from my experiences that might help.

EDIT: Just realized that DropBox would help my file-sharing woes.