I think I need a new battery...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bimmerchop, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bimmerchop macrumors regular

Recently, my mbp has been having problems holding a good charge for long. When plugged in, and fully charged, it only reads as high as 96%. The other day, it just randomly kept shutting off on me, with around 25% left with no warning (when I plugged the wall charger in, it no longer shut off on me). Sometimes, the charge will drop quickly out of nowhere; i.e. from 30% to 8% in a matter of a few short minutes with nothing more than simple internet browsing. I've re-calibrated it a couple of times, but still very little to no improvement. I also downloaded coconutBattery, and according to that, my battery capacity is at 72% with only 71 load cycles... correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't apple say it should be something like 75% at 300 cycles??

2. bimmerchop thread starter macrumors regular

3. motownflip macrumors regular

sounds like a battery. I would buy one from Apple, and if it doesn't fix your problem, return it. I think they would take it back. Not sure on their policy with batteries.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

actually it's 80%/300 cycles, I'd bring it in and they'll replace it for you, assuming you have applecare left.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

6. bimmerchop thread starter macrumors regular

Last Aug, so my applecare runs out pretty soon. I tried to buy applecare this past weekend, but it was all sold out for the mbp. Going to try again sometime this week.

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I've just managed to get them to replace the battery on my 16 month old MBP for the exact same problem you've got.

Give customer services a call and see what they can do.

8. godfreyhk macrumors member

You might want to calibrate your battery, then get the battery stat from system profiler or maybe Coconut Battery. If it's max capacity is under 4400 mAh and the # of cycles is somethine (well) below 300, I think there's a good chance that you can get it replaced by apple care.

9. cMacSW macrumors regular

Agree, needs to be well below 300 cycles, my battery had like 280-90 cycles
    and the apple store would not replace it.