I think I wrecked my screen.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by windels, Jan 30, 2010.

1. windels macrumors regular

windels

Hello!

Once again I need you guys here at macrumors! Last night, when I closed the lid of my umbp, I heard this crackling noise.

The results can be seen in the pictures.

It's not as bad as it looks. Its the alumin(i)um cap that's come loose from the display at the corner. Each time as I close the lid , I get this gap as you can see in the pictures. But when open, the cap just fit's snugly around the screen as it is used to.

What happened here? Are the displays glued to the aluminium cap or something? Anyone else had this problem? And most of all: will they be able to fix this at the applestore or do I need a whole new screen?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. BlasphemyCool macrumors newbie

This is the first issue of this sort; which is why nobody has responded.

Go to the Apple Store, explain the issue and see what they can do.

Otherwise, you can fiddle with it to try and solve the issue at hand.

The latter is the preferred choice.

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Give it time. It hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

But I would agree a trip to the Apple Store would be your best solution.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I for one would take it to an Apple store and see what they can do.

BUT if you feel like you're skilled enough to handle it, I would google search MacBookPro screen disassembly instructions and see if you can figure out what happened and how to fix it that way. You may have to take it apart, repair the problem, then put it back together. BUT I warn you, this isn't for the feint of heart, or those who's electronic skills aren't that great.

5. windels thread starter macrumors regular

windels

The reason I asked it here first is because I don't own a car yet and the closest apple-store is pretty far away

I've looked at ifixit. But there guides stop at the point where they take of the screen. but the back, so the aluminum, is still attached to the display. but my problem is to attach the display to the aluminum, so their guide is not realy helpful for me.

Does anyone know if the display is glued on or if it should click in? I hope it's glued because I already tried to push it back in with no result.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can call Apple and have it shipped. I would do that.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, the former is the preferred choice unless the computer is out of warranty or you just like voiding warranties for kicks.

8. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

If it's under warranty, there's no point voiding it for something like that. Let Apple deal with it, you can ship it as has already been pointed out.

9. windels thread starter macrumors regular

windels

It's out of warranty for over a month now, so no luck on that part. The thing is ; it looks like I would be able to glue it. I'm afraid that , if I ship it to apple, that they will charge me for a whole new screen instead of just glueing it. I'l just go to the applestore tomorrow and hear what they have to say.I'll let you know how it turned out !