I think im developing an eating disorder

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bc008, May 20, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

lately i havnt been eating much.. (ex. grapes for breakfast, then a bottle of water for dinner) also sometimes i eat giant amounts of food (like 2 orders of bosco sticks, until the point of having a bad stomach ache (not vomiting)

my weight has been all over the scale the past month (160-180 lbs)

now i dont think its anything serious, but im just wondering what is up with my appetite?

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well the obvious questions come to mind:

Do you make time to eat your meals?

When you skip meals, do you feel hungry?

When you eat too much, do you feel full?

Have you experienced extended dehydration when you go without food or when you have too much food?

Are their other factors in your life that might be causing you to focus emotional energy into your food?

As for a remedy, have you tried keeping a basic food journal? And, in concert with that, have you tried planning out what you're going to eat in advance? I've found that knowing what I'm going to be eating helps me plan better so I'm able to eat the critical stuff (fruits, veggies, low fat milk/yogurt) earlier in the day.

3. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i dunno really

first of all i eat when im hungry, and lately it hasnt been that often. but less than 100-400 calories a day is horrible......

like im never hungry, but then like one day a week i eat like crazy to the point of laying in bed full?

nothing in my life is that stressful, although i had an english speech i presented yesterday that i have been planning for a month, (horrible public speaker, shakes, sweat, etc) and in gym we are starting the PRESIDENTS PHYSICAL FITNESS testing next week, and as above i am horrible in public situations (racing with someone down the gym) and that makes me really nervous

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Your weight is all over the place because you dont eat right.
    Grapes in the morning and a bottle of water for dinner.
    Then every now and you binge!

You, YOUR body, needs 3 balanced meals at regular intervals. You should have a variety of foods from the basic food groups.

If you continue with your current diet you can over time develop a serious eating disorder.

google eating healthy, or read a book at the library. Put your self together a healthy yet sensible diet.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Hmmm....

So your body isn't telling you it needs food and then one day during the week (I'm guessing a Saturday or a Sunday) you binge.

That is very unusual.

I would try to start forcing yourself to eat certain things, even when you're not hungry. For example, drink a glass of low fat milk for breakfast, no matter what. Try to keep the timing as consistent as possible and gradually expand into other vital foods (you can't let your body go without vital nutrients, especially at your age).

If your feelings persist (ie, you can't bring yourself to drink that glass of milk) you should see a doctor.

Out of curiosity, how long has this been happening?

6. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

7. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I am kind of like that too.

I am an 18 year old male and only weigh like 108 lbs.

I have no desire to eat sometimes because I feel too lazy to make food. I can skip lunch and not eat until dinner if I feel like it.

I have always been skinny because my genes and because I have always been a vegetarian.

I dont think it is an actual disorder because I still eat healthy but I just do not have much desire to eat.

I actually do not mind it that much when my stomach is growling.

I have a protein shake every morning which helps.

Hopefully college next year will enable me to eat more because of unlimited meal plan.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Has anything emotionally significant happened over the past 8-12 weeks?

Has anything disruptive occurred?

Have you been out of the sun for an unusually long period of time?

9. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

about all my life?

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well I meant more so recently. A lack of sunlight can often lead to mild depression which people express differently. Some don't eat, some eat more, some drink, etc. You are in a part of the country that has fewer "sunny days" in the winter, so it was just a guess.

I think you should try to get yourself back onto the eating horse ASAP. One of the best foods to eat is yogurt (make sure it contains acidophilus-it'll be on the list of ingredients and most yogurts have it anyways) because it aids in digestion, makes you feel energized, and contains lots of calcium and protein for its calories.

You should also strive to have one Vitamin C rich food per day (an orange, a serving of blackberries, or any other citrus fruit).

Then, gradually extended your diet to include some whole grains (oatmeal, granola, etc) and more milk.

The trick is to eat small amounts consistently, and then gradually add more foods into your diet. It's also critical that you don't eat when you feel a craving coming on. My hunch is that that is when you binge. Instead, stick to your routine for a while. If, after a couple weeks you aren't able to get back into the natural rhythm of things, call a doctor. There's no sense in denying professional help when it's needed.

Like rpaloalto said, consult diet planning websites to get an idea of what makes certain foods better than others. To get you started on the right path, I recommend low fat yogurt, fruit (lots of it!!!!!!), low fat milk, walnuts, oatmeal, and of course, veggies. I don't know how often or how much meat you consume, but it might be best to lay off for a while. Meat can cause all kinds of problems if your digestive cycle is out of whack, and I think yours certainly could be.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Barring a serious thyroid or hormonal imbalance, your basal metabolic rate (IE your metabolism and ability to gain/lose weight) fluctuates by at most 20% for a healthy individual. Your genes will affect the resting rate at which your body burns calories, but genetics only go so far on each end of the spectrum.

A calories is still a calories, and it will affect even genetically "skinny" and "fat" people in a predictably similar fashion. If you are underweight, it's because you don't eat enough, and a vegetarian diet is lower in calories and requires a greater volume of food to match the caloric value of a traditional diet.

Calboy: Well played, sir. Well played.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Coming from you, that is the highest honor bar none. :eek:

Although while I was brushing my teeth just now, I came to think of hypothyroidism as a possible (albeit remotely) culprit. OP, if you feel sluggish, tired, and episodes of fatigue, you may want to get a blood test soon. It's a fairly standard blood test, and if your problems persist, you'll need to see a doctor to have the proper drugs prescribed.

13. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

BAD idea. Your body doesn't need 3 balanced meals a day.

You body needs 5-6 small healthy snack/meals a day.
    The heaviest(most calories) should be taken in the morning and you should have a VERY light dinner.

A good piece of advice I offer you is that whenever you feel that you're ready to binge eat, eat 1/2 or 1/3 of what you were going to eat and put it aside. Walk back 10-20 minutes later and if you're still hungry, eat some more. If you're not, save it for later. The reason for this is that your brain lags a significant amount of time compared to your stomach. Your stomach may feel fine but truly it's probably full and your brain is still taking its time.

Oh, and everyone has different dietary needs. Check out this site:
    http://www.mypyramid.gov/

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

:p

I love you too CalBoy :3

If the OP has any of these symptoms, it's more likely to be low blood sugars. If problems persist on a normal diet I'd see a doctor though. Hypo(something) is a possibility.

I like. High-five.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What? You're like Mr. Nutrition™! ;)

I thought about blood sugar, but I figured that the OP's symptoms could be the result of hypothyroidism masking itself as something else (my sister has it and we didn't because we repeatedly mistook the signs). I thought that if he gets a thyroid test done, the doctor will likely request a CBC and a lipid and sugar test as well.

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I appreciate the praise!

They didn't test your sister's thyroid functions? Huh, wonder if it's more of a standard practice in Canada, then.

(Incidentally, my sister has the low blood sugars. Would this be your younger sister?)

17. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Hypothyroidism makes sense (but good lord, that was a hell of a deduction...) but if you're not eating it's probably exacerbated by anemia and low blood sugar. If the doctor doesn't ask for CBC/sugar tests the first time around, and the TSH tests come back negative for hypothyroidism, that'll be the second round. You might want to look into some kind of psychotherapy at the same time - get this under control as quickly as possible.

Here's another possibility...

Look at the patient in addition to the symptoms, all. He's an approximately 15-year-old, otherwise healthy (as far as we know) high schooler. Hypothyroidism mostly affects middle-aged women - not an exclusionary factor, but there are disorders that you should look at before jumping straight to it.

Mononucelosis presents with loss of appetite and fatigue. Rapid onset and duration of symptoms fit as well. The doctor should probably do a test for the Epstein-Barr virus (causes mono) before or alongside TSH, CBC, and sugar tests. Keep in mind, though, that low sugars and lipids can be side effects of not eating and not symptoms per se.

Disclaimer - I'm not a doctor, I just like this kind of thing. I also have never had mono, so my experience with the disease is mostly clinical and not personal.

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Doesn't sound like rapid onset, and we don't really have too many symptoms (most of CalBoy's diagnosis was extrapolation). The only "symptom" we really have is loss of hunger, unless I've missed something. None of us are doctors, but Occam's razor points to a simpler explanation than mono, or a thyroid disorder.

Not to discount the ideas you guys have thrown out (both very good), nor the idea that he should go to a doctor, but loss of appetite could signal a whole host of possibilities, many of which are comparatively minor.

Nutritional deficiency from low/poor diet = low blood sugar and a sapped appetite. How many teenagers eat well?

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Iscariot, our registered vegeterian (unless I'm way off, I thought I remembered a thread somewhere...) got it best, but I'll try to put it a bit in perspective for you

It's not your genes. It's:

You not eating a lot of quantity combined with being a vegetarian is why you are skinny, perhaps unhealthily so. I'd recommend drinking about three of those protein shakes per day (so long as it's whey protein, lay off the soy if you're a male) and lift some weights. This should induce you to eat more.

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Yessir.

Yessir. High-five!

Genes are a factor -- and mine aren't doing me any favours when it comes to weight gain! -- but diet is always going to be the most important factor influencing weight in a healthy individual.

Protein diversity is key as many vegetarian sources are incomplete proteins. Whey is typically the most effective protein supplement for weight gain and muscle repair, so I'd recommend it for non-strict vegetarians or anyone looking to gain some weight. There are vegan alternatives that stack up closely, soy protein isolate being the best of them.

Nitpick: The phytoestrogen in soy can cause both estrogenic and anti-estrogenic effects depending on the circumstances. Either way studies show the effect is typically minor to nonexistent provided you are healthy.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I went through a similar phase at college. I'd skip breakfast, grab a sandwich for dinner and then nothing until a big dinner. I didn't lose any significant weight either though I did ping point between 9-10 stone. I was really active too, even used to talk the 4 miles home.

It might be nothing to worry about. I just found some foods that I really liked and then I started eating more.

A little thing I found was that by drinking lots of mineral water (as in 4 litres a day) I would start to get hungry again.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Listen to the man/woman.....

Bless

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

As I recall, my sister dreaded going to see the GP; the only reason they found it was because she had to go for a physical in order to be cleared for the freshman tennis team. The nurse suspected it was her thyroid based on my sister's complaints and how her neck had looked slightly swollen.
    I got mine tested casually by the doctor at each physical, and once via blood test (just to be thorough). I think my sister's greater problem was her refusal to see any kind of medical professional unless absolutely necessary.
    I see we both bring our personal experiences to the table. :p:)

She is, however, my older sister.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Actually I "diagnosed" her when we went out for dinner after watching what she ate and hearing her complaints :3