All iPads I think I'm going to buy an iPad 4.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hyp.spec, May 29, 2014.

1. hyp.spec macrumors newbie

Well guys,

After spending a weekend with both an iPad Air and an iPad Mini Retina, I think it's time for me to resort to older, 'better' tech.

I was not happy with the iPad air's screen, and the poor excuse of a speaker left me astounded, so I took it back and replaced it with an iPad Air.

I can't believe how much I disliked the Air. The device felt too flimsy, and the screen was one of the worst screens I've seen in a long time. The Mini's screen with reduced color gamut was far better. The air was plagued with the yellowing on the left, shadowing AND a purple tinted right side. I went to the store to look at the displays and they all had the same problem. I promptly returned it.

But at the end of the day, the usefulness of an iPad is intriguing, and enticing, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get an iPad 4. I understand the build quality is better, it's more durable, and has more consistent back lighting on the screen. And I can't imagine what I plan on using the iPad for (browsing, netflix, pdf's, etc) that the difference between the A7 and A6x chip would be all that great.

Thoughts?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's too bad you had bad luck with the screen on your Air and the display models at the store. I have an Air, and the screen is perfect. And I don't think the Air is flimsy at all. Sure, the 4 is thicker and more hefty, but just because the Air is lighter, doesn't mean it isn't durable.

That said, if you have your heart set on getting the 4, you are right that the difference in CPU won't affect your usage case all that much.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

While I will not discount your experiences with the screen, I hope that you will take pause to think of the scale you are using to define "better". If you are thinking of the CPU/ GPU and expected span of OS support from Apple - the 4 lags behind the Air/ rMini. I hope you also take that into account for your value definition.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I can understand why you feel the way you do re: iPad Air vs. iPad 4. I'm of the same mindset. I'm extremely delighted with my 1+ yr old 64GB iPad 4. But I would recommend waiting until after WWDC to see if Apple makes any iPad announcements. Even if they don't announce a new model, they might announce something iPad-related that might give you reason to get the iPad Air.

5. hyp.spec thread starter macrumors newbie

@sracer, I was thinking the same thing. Only thing is I'm going out of town for a couple weeks on the 2nd and would love to bring an iPad with me! #firstworldproblems I suppose :)

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Pick up a Surface RT on clearance for the trip. This way when you return, and buy your iPad, you'll be ever so grateful to have it. (and sell the RT)

It is along the same lines as, "I love hitting myself in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when I stop." LOL :D

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am happy with my Air I got from AT&T store. A perfect Air. :apple:

8. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've had my Air since a week after launch date and am very happy with it. I didn't have a screen issue. And for me, I did notice that it wasn't as stiff or hefty as my older iPad. But actually that was the beauty of it. I love the light weight and smaller form with the same size screen. It's all kind of relative. I also hated the new IOS system when it went all light and white looking. I mean I really hated it and complained for months. But now, I can't even remember what the older IOS looked like.

My screen is fine and I guess that would have bugged me if I had an issue with it. I did have an issue with Safari shutting down and that was pretty darn annoying. But that problem has been resolved with the latest IOS update. So all is great for me.

I really love with the Air that it's so pick up and go. I can just drop it in any purse when before with my iPad 3, I had to buy my purses to fit my iPad. Sounds silly I know but it's so much more portable being just a little smaller and lighter.

9. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I'm happy with my Air, but if I wasn't I would have returned it. That's why there is a return policy.

10. hyp.spec thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to give the air one more go, and I'm fairly happy withy the result. This one has a slight books pining effect, but not enough for me to complain. Yay?

11. GalFriday macrumors member

I'm very happy with my iPad Air. The screen is fine. There are a lot of way too nit picky people on this forum. I got my Air two weeks ago and the screen is perfect. I think most Air screens are.

12. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I had the air and returned because no accesories out yet like mounts and stuff. I have an iPad 4 and I am fine with it. Actually I have 2 iPad 4 because I like to have a music sequencer in one and a soft instrument in another one or a drum machine. For the rest I use my Mac Book Pro.

13. Tsepz macrumors 68000

Tsepz

Sorry to hear about the Air not working out.

I would also recommend waiting until after later today and see what WWDC brings.

Thoroughly enjoying my iPad 4, but I've had it since late 2012, I wouldn't go and buy it at this point unless I really wanted a good deal on a 128GB model.

14. joplinG5 macrumors member

WOW... The iPad Air I got from T-Mobile is perfect. I had an iPad 4 before buying the Air and returned it after finding out about T-Mobile's awesome Air deal when they were on sale in late April and May. Definitely don't regret going with the Air.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. The screen on my Air is epic and the speakers are decent too.

But, yeah, get a 4. Still a pretty good unit.

16. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

AaronM5670

I respect your decision - I had to travel to and from Covent Garden, London (30 minutes Tube journey) 4 times to get my original iPad microphone issue resolved; eventually they just caved in and gave me an iPad 2 to keep me happy, as it had come out during the time they spent 'repairing' it (i.e. making the issue worse). :)

17. markbravo2014 macrumors newbie

Go for it.Its not like you'll use it forever. There will be a newer better model soon anyway. :)

18. threelions macrumors regular

If you need an Ipad now then the 4 is fine. I have a 4 and an original Mini, I tried upgrading to the Air and had the exact same issues as you. After going through four Airs all with the same issues I gave up and got a refund. I've stuck with my old 4 and Mini for now and will see how the new Air & Rmini seem later this year.

There will be people who tell you you are just fussy, imagining it or just lying don't listen. The longest thread in Apple support forum history is full of people with the same issues you and I both had, Even if it only effected say 3% or 4% of Air's that's still a huge amount of defective screens. Any time I'm in a shop that has them on display I have a quick check and yep, they all have the yellow left hand side and/or the book spine effect.

I can't imagine Apple don't know of the issue and would expect them to fix it in the next generation.

The "Feel" of the screen is a different thing, they used less glass so it feels a little strange at first(the Mini's are the same) but that's something that you get used to quickly.

19. stevemiller macrumors 68000

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'books pining effect'?

I would say that in general, there is always going to be a certain amount of screen lottery when buying any generation. I remember when I got my iPad 3, my first one had a fairly noticeable yellowing on one half of the device. I was on the forum here and there were lots of complaints of similar issues. I took it back, and got a replacement that had a lovely screen that has served me ever since!

Hope your second try with an Air works out better!

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think he meant the book spine effect.

21. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

Go to general, wallpapers&brightness. change the wallpaper to one that don't have the yellow at the bottom and walla you all set

22. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Bought a refurb on Apple.com and its been great. The display is awesome - shows just how washed out my rMini is, and I love the size and weight.

The rMini is still my go-to device and favorite tablet. I'm looking forward to a better display and TouchID this year.

But the iPad Air is a wonderful tablet - you simply were unlucky. Honestly, I'm actually glad I bought a refurb - far more extensive testing done and the same warranty as brand new.

23. threelions macrumors regular

Lol wat?